Convince me which soap maker I should try next

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by SharptoothC, Sep 11, 2017.

1. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I know, I don't really NEED a new soap. I have lots of GREAT soaps. LOTS. But I'm bored. It's me. I want to try soap by a maker I have not tried yet. I'm not so much concerned with specific scents, though you are welcome to try and sell me on that as well. I do prefer strong scents. Convince me of a soap I should try next based on performance and strength of scent. I want to stay under $20.

Soapmakers I currently own and enjoy:
    Stirling
    Tabac
    Lisa's Natural
    Cold River Soap Works
    Route 66
    Henri Et Victoria
    Barrister & Mann
    Sudsy Soapery
    RazoRock
    La Toja
    Arko
    TOBS
    Proraso
    The Body Shoppe Maca Root
    Kiss My Face
    Haslinger
    Shulton Old Spice
    Godrej
    PAA

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Kokak and George X like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

WHAT?!?!? NO TSD ON THAT LIST?!?!?

Kokak and George X like this.
  3. SharptoothC

YET. Convince me.

Kokak likes this.
  4. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

TSD is as slick as any soap I have ever used and you a bunch of scents to pick from. Get it with menthol or without. Less than $20.00 and proceeds benefit this forum. Now tell me why you shouldn't try it. :shaver

5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I am going to say Mystic Water. Michelle is an expert with soaps and scents. Quite a few to choose from, all are terrific, but to me her Lilac and her Sandalwood Rose are exquisite. Tallow based soaps. Slickness abounds. Post-shave is second to none. Excellent price point.

Kokak, Linuxguile and SharptoothC like this.
  6. SharptoothC

For the purpose of this post, I am wanting to be convinced on the merits of soaps I have not tried. All are fair game. TSD will get it's chance in my den. The M-Bomb is a fantastic product.

Definitely in the running. I tried a sample of the Sandalwood Rose in the old formulation. I want to try the newer one as well. Great scent!

Lanolin? Original? Wheat? The fragrance list is overwhelming. Don't defend it, because I ain't against it. Promote it. Which way should I go?

Primotenore, Kokak and Linuxguile like this.
  7. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Catie's Bubbles.
    Slick and a nice cushion.
    Mitchell's Wool Fat. It's over $20, but worth it!

Kokak and SharptoothC like this.
  8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Buying TSD soaps allows you to continue to taunt @swarden43 by supporting the forum financially.

Argument over, look forward to seeing some TSD 2x Iced Floid Type Shave Soap as your 30 Day rule in November.

You're welcome, and as always....my pleasure. ;)

9. drwevil

drwevil Well-Known Member

We need an independent review of West Coast Shaving new soaps.... put together with PAA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kokak likes this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Crowne & Crane
    Top-quality soaps available in both tallow and non-tallow formulations. Good variety of fragrances. Excellent performance (thick n slick lather). Love the "Cognac & Cubans," "Lavender & Cedar,""Orange Frost,""Thuringian Forest.")
    All are a regular part of my morning shaves.
    They are also a TSD supporting vendor. :angelic007:
    www.crowneandcrane.com

11. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Based on the two criteria you listed, performance and strength of scent, plus the list of the type of brands you enjoy, the only one that I have that you don't that I would pound the table for is First Canadian Soap Co. Maximo Gomez Cuba. Has a tobacco/citrus combo that is fantastic, and the performance is top tier. You can get it in the United States through Maggards, and it is priced reasonably.

MR41, Kokak and SharptoothC like this.
  12. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Out of the hundreds of soaps I have tried, most of my favorites are also the strongest...and great-working, of course.

The ones you absolutely MUST try are Catie's bubbles, Mickey Lee Soap works, and L&L grooming.

Kokak and SharptoothC like this.
  13. drwevil

Uncle Jon's are real nice.

SharptoothC likes this.
  14. SharptoothC

This is what I was hoping for. That's a soap I haven't heard much about. The scent sounds amazing.

Which floats your boat the most?

Definitely on my short list.

Is the Cognac and Cubans similar to Henri Et Victoria's Cognac and Cubans? Which formula do you find that you prefer? I have enjoyed both tallow and non-tallow soaps and don't really have a preference.

So you are saying that...?

I am all for supporting the forum. And for friendly taunting. But I feel it's selling the soap short to say I should buy it to support the forum. I want to know who uses it and why. I am happy to support the forum through purchases or contributions because I get a lot of enjoyment out of the community. I don't doubt that it's good soap. Tell of its goodness!

That said, 2x Iced Floid Type sounds pretty danged good. I enjoy some good menthol.

Kokak and Bama Samurai like this.
  15. Bama Samurai

Supporting vendors are a fine choice as well.

Smells awesome. Brutal Menthol, like we like. It really is as good a performer as anything out there and with a look. I used TSD soap in stick form. Nice after feel.

Paul Turner, Kokak and SharptoothC like this.
  16. SharptoothC

Which formula?

Kokak likes this.
  17. drwevil

I have heard they are very good but it's nice to get end user reviews. They aren't available here in Aussie.

Kokak likes this.
  18. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Long Rifle Soaps are great! The Bay Rhum and the Voyager scents are outstanding. The post shave feel is as great and the lather provides lots of cushion. Did I say the scent is awesome? I have 4 of their scents and like them all. Hunting Lodge is also one of my favorites. BTW... They are $18 per 6 oz pour. So a good value as well.

19. Pedict

Pedict New Member

L&L Grooming. It is numero uno in my den. I rate it higher than B&M and Sudsy Soapery, my 2 and 3 soaps. I give it a perfect shaving score. Now to be fair I have oily skin and wiry very tough hair, so my idea of a perfect post shave may not match yours. The scents are mid strength, but the performance is top.

Paul Turner and SharptoothC like this.
  20. Bama Samurai

Lanolin

SharptoothC likes this.