Convince me which soap maker I should try next

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by SharptoothC, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

I have fond memory of the soap from The Soap Exchange Company.
    I have neglected most of my shave gear these last few years and had more or less forgotten this soap until I found it at the bottom of my den a few hours ago
    I haven't done my research and I am not sure if they still exist. But I remember this soap to be both slick and very easy to lather. In fact I found it comparable to MdC in this regard.

I have both the Barber Shoppe and Texas Leather offerings. The former is identical to natural Mike's version and is a quality scent.
    I do not know how Texas Leather actually smells in its natural habitat, but I have been told the soap smells pretty close to a freshly polished saddle.

I really need to revisit this soap

2. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

Big Easy Soaps & Tinctures. Their (tallow) soap is one that will always be in my Den. I have 4 and eventuality will own more. The scents are unique, strong, pungent, and last. The scent actually gets better after a few lathers.
    The lather can be a shade tricky but it is slick with plenty of cushion. The post shave is better than Stirling, Razorock, or Viking.
    Purple Haze and 221B Baker Street are the 2 best smelling soaps in my Den. I've had at least 15 shaves off a tub of Purple Haze and can barely tell I've touched it.

Big Easy definitely deserves more attention than it gets.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    Linuxguile and SharptoothC like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Slick
    Good cushion
    Easy to lather
    Doesn't disappear like some soaps *cough* Williams *cough*
    Doesn't leave a film, rinses clean
    Doesn't dry out the face
    Doesn't leave the face feeling oily
    About 80 scents to choose from
    Get matching AS, cologne, milk, WH
    Choose regular formula or lanolin
    Scent not too weak, not too strong
    Not over priced
    Easily melts to conform to any bowl or mug
    Not picky about what brush you use

4. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Now there it is!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Linuxguile and PLAla like this.
  5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Norseman!!! Haven't seen you in quiiite a while. Everything OK???? And Thanx for the tip on TSE-I'm quite interested in their Texas Leather.

Just had a look at the LRS website. Good stuff there, it appears!!

Norseman and SharptoothC like this.
  6. swarden43

How can you tell it is "good stuff" just by looking at a picture? What does "good stuff" look like, or appear to be?

dscaver and SharptoothC like this.
  7. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

TSD still sells soap? Wow!

Herm

SharptoothC likes this.
  8. Paul Turner

I had the TSD Russian Leather. Enjoyed it. :).

SharptoothC likes this.
  9. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

Everything is great. Thanks for asking.

My interest tends to fluctuate, so when my shaving interest disappeared so did I. I am slowly getting back into it, but trying to not develop any AD's. :) So far so good, and I am in the process of rediscovering the content of my stash and that should keep me occupied for a little while.

I am tempted to ask how you and everybody else are doing, and what I have missed in my abscense. But I guess that is a question for another thread

Paul Turner and SharptoothC like this.
  10. swarden43

SharptoothC likes this.
  11. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

Been looking at Long Rifle myself. Their scents sound pretty good and after reading what you have to say I may give them a try in the near future, same with L&L, they seem to get great reviews. Glad you posted this.

12. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I will add Reef Point & LASS ( Los Angeles Shaving Soap) to the list. Both on my "Top Five". Maggard should be on there also if it is not! Some great suggestions so far...........

jtspartan, SharptoothC and PLAla like this.
  13. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    So....I'm trying really hard to not be offended. Why wouldn't I still be selling soap?

You're welcome to respectfully say if you don't like TSD soap, but your comment was less than helpful to anyone.

dscaver, SharptoothC and PLAla like this.
  14. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I'd give Tallow + Steel a look. The soaps are equal to any top performers I've tried, and the scents are strong!
    My favorite right now is Himalaya, which has an amber based scent that feels warm and comforting.

Linuxguile, PLAla and SharptoothC like this.
  15. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

TSD Lanolin - lots of scents to choose from but I will say that when I thought the store might be closing I ordered extra Bourbon Vanilla

Gold Dachs - just a great soap - I've got Macho, Sport, Classic, and Sandalwood

DeVerGulde Hand Extra Fris - another great soap - classic clean scent - definitely under $20 (usually under $10)

16. Paul Turner

I've been enjoying L&L Grooming's Fields&Streams.

Tiredricefarmer and SharptoothC like this.
  17. SharptoothC

On the TSD Bourbon Vanilla, which scent is most forward? And on the Jasmine, does the menthol cover up the scent? I know some scents tend to get overwhelmed by menthol.

PLAla likes this.
  18. SharptoothC

I can't speak to West Coast Shaving. But the PAA soaps I have tried have been quite good.

Paul Turner likes this.
  19. Paul Turner

Which PAA's if I may ask?

20. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

My first reaction when I smell it would be to say that the vanilla is most forward and yet it's not; it's a bourbon vanilla. I think one of the reasons I like it so much is because it's such a great blend of complementary scents. I feel the same way when I smell a good lime bergamot that's well blended; one doesn't overshadow the other because they are blended together in perfect harmony.
    ...or a good peanut butter and jelly sandwich; you know, when you have the perfect amount of peanut butter and the perfect amount of jelly and not too much of either one...

PLAla and SharptoothC like this.