Convincing your significant other.

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Talneharus, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Talneharus

Talneharus Well-Known Member

Haha these a good stories! Btw I guess I should have clarified earlier but eventually I'll get my way and get a straight razor. I was curious if others hat met with resistance. I'm too ornery for the Mrs. And she knows it.

Karl G, Keithmax and Kokak like this.
  2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    No. For one thing he knew the straight wouldn't be anywhere near my head.

3. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

My wife has been nothing but supportive of my unusual hobby. She has a good eye and has helped me with some great finds in the wild. She was a little incredulous when I got my first straight. It scared her more than it scared me. She did get a little concerned when I flayed my cheek open with a Feather SS, but remains supportive. She actually gives me great input on my SOTD photos. However, she does happily point out that my dueling scar is actually a shaving scar when the topic of straight shaving comes up in conversations with friends. All in all, I really lucked out when I married this beautiful and patient woman.

Bookworm, Karl G, jimjo1031 and 4 others like this.
  4. Talneharus

Lucky! My wife thinks I'm a dork for getting so excited over shaving goodies. Mayhap if I got her to have a go at her legs with my Fatboy she'd maybe get into it a bit more! :cool:

sdguero, Karl G, jimjo1031 and 3 others like this.
  5. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

[​IMG]

Karl G, Keithmax, Kokak and 3 others like this.
  6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

My girlfriend doesn't mind, I just tell her not to bother me while using a straight, especially to keep the dogs away. Plus she has gotten interested when looking for straights for a possible purchase. Especially ones with nice looking scales. Getting her a Gillette Lady Starburst and Lady Eversharp for her own a while back didn't hurt either.

7. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

My wife just thinks I'm crazy. The jump to straights didn't phase her at all...

Karl G, jimjo1031, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  8. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

Yeah, that. Mine knows I'm crazy. Ha ha.

Karl G, jimjo1031, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  9. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

I haven't tried the straight razor yet. I don't have one yet, but I'll get there eventually. I'm still enjoying the DE and SE razors. My wife is pleased with my new hobby, and she even brought me a couple of vintage razors she found on a trip out-of-town. But I haven't convinced her to try a safety razor yet.

Karl G, jimjo1031, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  10. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I've ridden motorcycles all my like, hunt with firearms and archery and process my own meat, fish, use a chain saw and other hand tools. My wife has/had no concerns whatsoever about the safety of it. She was more concerned, as she should be, about the amount of cash I'd be dumping into the "hobby". Straight shaving is not nearly unsafe as most would think. Besides a little blood letting every once in awhile is an excellent reminder that you're still alive:)

Karl G, jimjo1031, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  11. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karl G, Keithmax, Kokak and 2 others like this.
  12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'm in. Becky has picked up and/or pointed out numerous shaving items for me as we troll the antique malls.

Karl G, jimjo1031, DaltonGang and 2 others like this.
  13. Talneharus

Hmmm you just gave me an idea! The wife loves antique shops now I have a reason to go to them more. Win win!

Karl G likes this.
  14. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

The only problem I've found with Antique Stores is that most of the time, straight razors are overpriced. At times you can find a low priced gem.

Karl G likes this.
  15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Some antique stores will be willing to dicker a bit on price, particularly if you buy multiple razors. Not all, of course, as some stores are merely displaying the goods and need to get authorization from the seller before discounting a price. I had the good fortune of finding a proverbial 'mother lode' of straights in a Gold Country antique store with my wife several years ago. I came across a dozen quality straight razors in ONE shop and began negotiations with the seller. I wound up purchasing seven razors from the store (actually, my wife purchased them for me as a birthday gift) for a very fair price I recall less than $100 for all— about $15/ea.). I've sold off four since, and two (the two top models pictured below) are in the regular rotation. The wife & I both now enjoy antique shopping together— she'll head off in one direction; I head for the cases containing shaving gear. :D

[​IMG]

sdguero, Karl G and Keithmax like this.
  16. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

And keep in mind when figuring price, you will need to send it off to be honed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimjo1031 likes this.
  17. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Drygulch, sdguero, Spyder and 4 others like this.
  18. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Kevin; I have the exact razor : left side, third one down; the griffon.

Karl G likes this.
  19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Nice razor. I had only used it for several shaves and had offers from another forum member to purchase it.
    [​IMG]

sdguero, Spyder, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  20. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Amazing prices and selections. Around here, there is a lot of junk, that would cost $35-$75, rarely do the drop the prices. Stuff I wouldn't pay $10 for, on eBay.

Spyder and Karl G like this.