Copper and Brass Gillette

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MsBlackwolf, Feb 15, 2009.

1. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

My mom came to visit me this weekend and brought me this razor. I cleaned it up and would like to know more about it. The handle is larger in diameter than most of the older razors I've seen. The head cap is copper, comb is brass, top of the handle is brass and the remainder of the handle is copper. It's in a plastic black case with fitted handle, head, and box of blades compartments. It cleaned up nicely but I have a crummy cheap digi camera. I'd love to know when Gillette made it. No production number, bottom of the head has the Gillette diamond logo, Made in USA and 3 different patent numbers - 1815745 - 1858316 and Reissue Pat No 17567.

2. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

That is a bar handle Gillette NEW razor. They came with a thin gold wash that commonly disappears with time and use. Very good shavers, they were made from 1929 until near the start of WWII.

3. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Nice catch... I love my open comb razors.
    '
    Fuzzy

5. MsBlackwolf

I'm going to take this one for a slide in the morning :eek:. Seems since I've started DE shaving everyone in the family seems to have an old razor laying around they wanna give me. I've collected this nice one as well as that nice old style open comb Gillette and a Gillette TTO. I took the TTO for a slide yesterday but it's not going to be a favorite. I like the feel of this one though so I'm going to give it a slow and careful try!

6. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Must be nice... Since I started DE shaving, everyone thinks I am insane. Wait a minute, they thought that before as well... Nevermind...

PLANofMAN likes this.
  7. MsBlackwolf

They knew I was insane in the beginning, or they might be thinking maybe I'm too furry.... heyyy maybe they'll take me somewhere now! :happy102

8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I think insane is something that we all understand :D.. I hope you like that one as much as some of us do.. be sure to let us know

Fuzzy

9. MsBlackwolf

Well, that razor and I got to know each other this morning, and it's going to be a long and intimate relationship! BEST shave so far!! Now I need to find some blades that are just a bit better. The weight of this razor is definately a positive factor. The larger handle diameter fits my paw, and it polished up pretty even though the gold wash is a long time gone. AN ABSOLUTE KEEPER! :D

PLANofMAN likes this.
  10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Bravo.. I knew you would get into the open combs.. that is real shaving. what kind of blades did you use. maybe we can come up with a few different ones for you to try out in it.

Fuzzy

11. MsBlackwolf

I have US personnas from Walmart, unknowns from Walgreens. Looking at those sampler packs from the vendors. I have this Gillette TTO Y4 I REALLY don't like.....I'd sure trade it for a blade assortment if someone was interested. A very clean razor, No damage, totally useable.

12. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

If the Walgreens say Made in Korea on the pack, they are Dorco. If they say made in the U.S. they may be the same thing you bought at Walmart (American Safety Razor - made in U.S.).

Definitely look into getting a sampler pack of blades. Suggested U.S. vendors for sample packs of blades are usually www.westcoastshaving.com and www.razorandbrush.com but there are many other quality vendors.

13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

humm the walmart blades work good for me. But YMMV. I saw some german Wilkersons the other day at a winn dixie.. they worked well.

Fuzzy

14. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

15. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

16. MsBlackwolf

The Walgreens blades are marked Made in USA so probably personna. Winn Dixie isn't this far north. The wally world personnas aren't BAD blades, and seem to be forgiving enough for my newbie klutzing around, but gotta try it all! utohhhh ummm is this DE thing addicting?! Nobody mentioned the addiction part! Going to get a sampler pack from R&B. I've heard all the kudos to the chrystal blades and some of the others, so going to order the sampler with those in it. I'll probably end up with some I don't care for, but I think I can get perhaps get a better shave with THE blade that is made for me. Yeahhh I know, fussy fussy fussy.

17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

18. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Yep. Winn Dixie's definitely a southern thang.

American Personnas are all the same- they're sold in a variety of store labeled packages (CVS, Walgreen, and a generic Personna label for Walmart) but I'm pretty sure they're all the same blade.

To add to the confusion, there are two different Israeli Personna. One kind comes in a red pack and the other is labeled as Crystals and the blades come in a white and blue wrapper. The Crystals are what people are talking about when they say Israeli Personna, or IP.

19. MsBlackwolf

I saw the 2 different IPs when I looked at the blade selections on R&B. All of it can be very confusing for sure.

Now Fuzzy Bunny Man, that's a nice collection of goodies! I was thinking I should build a nice display cabinet. I already owned 2 straight razors I have never used for anything, but never thought I'd use an open comb either...I've decided not to take medication for this addiction, I'm just gonna enjoy it. :D

20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That box was a Christmas present... it is a sterilizer from an old Barber shop. I love it. I actually have 3 or 4 more SE razors since that picture was taken. I also have a few on loan to a friend to try out.

Fuzzy