Copper and Brass Gillette

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MsBlackwolf, Feb 15, 2009.

1. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Yes. The NEW Bostonian came in a blue hard case. I think it was only the outer shipper that said Bostonian.

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Cool tanks for the info. I need to learn more about those silly DE's:rolleyes:

Fuzzy

3. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

Musta been it! I didn't end up with it

4. MsBlackwolf

Is all the current "misnamed confussion" common?

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

There are several razors that have different names but are the same razor....just different sets. That is one of them. You can get a common bar handle NEW like that one cheaper that looks as good. I used my NEW improved last night. it is open comb but has the pins to align the blade. Love the open comb.

Fuzzy

6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I find quite a few minnamed GEM's that I send noted on. Lookslike there are going to be a lot of DE stuff as well. People usually do not know what they have. Some seem to do it on purpose.

Fuzzy

7. MsBlackwolf

That one sure went for enough $! Someone new to evilbay wanted it worse than I did and I decided I got stupid. Like I said, flea market season is comin and I'm guessing I'll see something nice that I gotta have. The razors at Bob Razor Works are sure nice looking.

8. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

All too common these days. Ebayers have just come to realize that razors are fairly highly sought after commodities. They really don't have any idea about what is what and tend to use descriptions that they have seen on correctly identified razors that have gone for high dollar. There just happens to have been a big market for Aristocrats recently, therefore that is becoming the common buzz word.

BTW, welcome to The Den, ma'am. I have been abroad the past few days and apparently missed your appearance.

9. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

That NEW razor in the condition it was should have went for around $20-$25. I got a near mint Blue Gold Special from Bronco here for $30 shipped and Steve even threw in the Wilkinson blades in the picture!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. MsBlackwolf

Oooo that one is nice, open comb? I might be a newbie but I knew that "aristocrat" was the same dang razor I got from my mom. I've got an "old style" with the buttons, but I don't seem to be able to get the blade straight. Looks like one of the buttons is bent some. Glad I didn't pick that one for my first open comb experience. Thanks for the welcome Guido, pleased to meet ya!

11. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Yep, it's a NEW just like yours and the mislabled one in the auction, they are fairly common.

12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I likey that blue gold set ..hummm yess I do

Fuzzy

13. MsBlackwolf

I have another NEW with a much slimmer handle and a solid bar. That was the first DE I ever shaved with back the beginning of Feb. It's a good razor, but the bar handle with the open comb is a heavier razor and I get a better shave with it.

14. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

All NEW razors will have an open comb. It sounds like you may be describing a Tech razor although with all the parts interchangeable things get mixed and matched all the time. The Tech came out after the NEW and had a straight bar guard.

15. MsBlackwolf

It's definately newer vintage than the bar handle. Has a silver colored bottom head plate and a little goldwash left on the bottom of the copper head cap. The handle is slim with a ball on it. Wish I had a better digi camera.

16. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

It certainly sounds like a Tech. They shave well also.

17. MsBlackwolf

No production date code on it. A KEEPER anyway. You should never give up the first DE you ever shaved with!

18. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

Copper and Brass Gillette...

I just bought an old Gillette open comb three piece (6/19/10) that's brass with a copper head. The head when new wasn't copper, was it? I thought I read somewhere on this thread that the heads had a thin gold plating on the them that wore away in time, which would make sense to me if that were the case. The numbers MsBlackwolf gave on her first thread are the exact ones I have on mine, except mine is a ball-end tech. Is it one of those "New" (1920's) Gillette's, or is it a Regent, or both? Also, down near the base of the razor, right on top of the ring that's on top of the ball-end, there is a very fine crack that looks to me to be approximately 1/2 an inch long. Is there anything that can be done or put on top of the crack to keep it from getting any bigger?:confused:

19. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

A ball-end tech is not an open comb razor and doesn't have patent numbers printed on it. I would guess that you have a NEW based on what you have written.

The NEW came in both a ball end and a bar style handle. Yes, there were also ball end techs; however, if it has teeth, it is a NEW and not a tech. As I recall, the numbers MsB used at the start of this thread were for a NEW.

The handle on a ball end tech is thinner, solid, and has a smaller ball. If you have a crack on your handle and it comes apart, it is the type of handle that came with some varieties of the NEW as well as some of the Old Style varieties.

Now, they were coated both in Nickel and in gold. it depended on which particular package was purchased. In both cases, over years of use, the thin plating wears off.

Now, if you want to do something about the crack, you could have a jeweler or somebody who is used to working with brass solder it together. Alternatively, you could use some epoxy to keep the handle together, or just leave it as it is (which isn't really a problem unless the handle is falling apart on you).

20. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information Etoyoc as I just identified mine as a 1930 Regent German Set Made in the USA.