Corned Beef and Cabbage or Shepherds Pie?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by JohnDB, Mar 20, 2018.

1. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

What do you eat to celebrate St Patrick's Day?

My wife is addicted to the horsradish sauce I make...so we'll be having corned beef.

What about you?

Bama Samurai likes this.
  2. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

My wife made me some nice corned beef and cabbage. Yum!

Paul Turner, Bama Samurai and JohnDB like this.
  3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I had a cornbeef omlette it was delicious! :eatdrink020::eatdrink013:

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

In our house, we traditionally do the 'traditional' non-Irish corned beef and cabbage (with potatoes & carrots; one-pot meal), served with Guinness, which is definitely Irish.
    To mix things up, we do make Shepherd's Pie on occasion (made with lamb, NOT ground beef — shepherds don't raise steers. Beef makes 'Cottage Pie'). I actually prefer a good shepherds pie but the CB & Cabbage tends to win out in our household.
    Leftover corned beef makes a breakfast appearance as hash the days after St. Paddy's day.

Bama Samurai, JohnDB and AGHisBBS like this.
  5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Lamb or mutton, it's all great to me! BTW next time you do that Shepherd's pie, you need to invite me or at least post a pic. :drool::rofl:

6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Mutton is harder to come by in these parts, so we tend to stick with lamb.
    'Lamb Hash' is common in our house the day after Easter....

Bama Samurai, JohnDB and Enrico like this.
  7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Sometime when I travel toward Rochester NY, there are more sheep farms and you can find it in the local grocers, fresh.

Bama Samurai and JohnDB like this.
  8. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

Joewa and Enrico like this.
  9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Corned Beef, Cabbage, Boiled Potatoes, with Guinness. This is what I've done for over 20 years, until now. I forgot all about St Patrick's Day, until it was too late.

brit likes this.
  10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

It's never too late. :D

DaltonGang likes this.
  11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Sound GREAT! Must try it out! Looks just like what my father made in a pressure cooker. Mmmmmmm :drool: :eatdrink020:

12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Roast piglet, on a beach in Costa Rica, accompanied by rice, red beans, plantains, tortillas, fruit salad, and rice pudding. Many people drank Sangria or enjoyed an icy cold Cerveza Imperial.

They (the local Ticos) just thought it was a normal Saturday. Costa Ricans have a strange habit. Their Spanish dialect attaches the suffix -tico to words to indicate smallness, cuteness, desirability or pleasurability of the subject noun. Hence, Costa Ricans informally self-identify, and are widely known to other Spanish speakers, as "Ticos". They found my poor Mexican influenced Spanish to be amusing, and picked on me for my accent in a jovial way, but they were amazing hosts for a memorable Saturday lunch.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    AGHisBBS, RyX, MR41 and 2 others like this.
  13. Bama Samurai

Roasted leg?

JohnDB, HolyRollah and Enrico like this.
  14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Traditional Easter meal of roasted leg o' lamb with garlic & rosemary....:drool:

JohnDB and Bama Samurai like this.
  15. Bama Samurai

Excellent!

JohnDB likes this.
  16. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I should probably give SOME respect to 3-17....my ancestors were of Scotch/Irish fame.

JohnDB and Bama Samurai like this.
  17. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

18. brit

brit in a box

guinness.....

19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Well that's enough for the baby ... I'll take five times more of everything. :eatdrink020:

20. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I'm not Irish, so for the win... I celebrated St. Pat's Day with tacos al pastor with my also-non-Irish godson in a Mexican restaurant. The staff wore green hats, but otherwise no green to be seen. :)

But, to the original question, you can't pay me enough to eat corned beef and cabbage. So, it's shepherd's pie (or a good beef stew) for me.

Paul Turner and Edison Carter like this.