Couples shared hobby

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Amy Warner, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Amy Warner

Amy Warner The Warner

My 1963 blue starburst next to my boyfriend's 1912 ever ready[​IMG][​IMG]
    and most of my accessories. Sharing the hobby with my best friend has been awesome! Is there anyone else that is sharing a hobby with their love?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Classy combo. That 1912 is awesomelicious!! I have a Lady Gillette that was my Moms. When I was married my wife would not touch a razor like that. It's great you two share the hobby.

3. Amy Warner

Amy Warner The Warner

It's been so much fun! Looking for things together.

4. Grimpen

Grimpen Member

Not too many antiques, but my wife and I share some things and she has started into the hobby. She has a Parker 29L (TTO with a lavender handle of course) that I've tried out. Awesome shaver! Mild, yet gives a real close shave with every blade so far.
    I broke in her new brush (an Omega with a 28mm knot!) so it was already softened for her first shave, and took over her first brush (a 22mm (IIRC) Omega with an orange handle).
    Because of the different "geometries" of our shaving focus, there is some specialization of products. Plus the aesthetics matter. I shave every day pretty much, so I usually am not too concerned with much beyond getting a pleasant close shave. She's a little less frequent, and when she shaves, she appreciates much more if it can be a pleasant and rewarding experience. So the big knot Omega with the nice big handle with her Taylor of Bond Street Coconut scent shaving cream won't be compromised on. And she already called dibs on my Colonel Conk Almond soap (smells like marzipan!) And her razor is not just a nice shaver, it's also pretty.
    I'll get a picture posted in a bit.

Sent from my Life One X2 using Tapatalk

5. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

My wife has the same razor you have and a Schick Golden 500. She has a nice brush and bowl that she uses with Route 66 soap. She loves to hunt for shaving gear with me in antiques stores. We have lots of fun.
    Enjoy.

6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I have been shaving with Vintage razors for over 3 years now, and my wife started a few months later, when I refused to purchase cartridge razors anymore. The first shave with a Gillette Black Beauty, that she claimed for herself, and she was hooked. She has tried many types of Vintage razors, and settled on a Gillette Starburst, which she has used for a couple of years. She alternates between that and a Merkur Future Clone. She won't touch the Straight razors, and I don't want her to. Also, couple of shaves into DE shaving, and she swore she would never touch another Cartridge razor again. Since then, she has converted a couple of female relatives, and a couple of female friends to Vintage DE shaving, and they became believers too.

7. Amy Warner

Amy Warner The Warner

That's awesome! I consider the cartridge razors imposters! Lol I'll never go back!

8. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

The family that shaves together, stays together? My wife has a replated Fat Handle tech that she shaves with. Although she has eyes on my Schick E3.

Herm

9. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

My bride won't touch a DE regardless what it is.

But we do share the hobby of Bee Keeping. Just started this year but I have to say it's a lot of fun and the honey is great.

10. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Not sure how long you have been at it but give it time. My wife was scared of the blade at first now she loves it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

11. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

12. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Got some interesting and fun responses here! How's the couple's shaving thing working out for everyone? Any new converts? Any lost ones lol? Amy and I still enjoy our shared interest, and we continue to find new things to try out. It's still an important couple thing for us. Happy shaving!

13. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Wife and I are still definitely having fun with it. Even though she is fully capable I will often still make a lather for her as shes starting her shower. It's added to "us" time were we chat and discuss the day. Also I make sure to give her an early sniff of any new soaps I try, most recently Stirling Pumkin Spice. Yet another winner in my mind! I may be a bigger fan as I love the holiday spice smell but she definitely likes it as well.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Amy Warner and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.