Cream noob

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by banks741938, Jan 17, 2017.

1. banks741938

banks741938 Well-Known Member

I been in the game for about 6 months and I'm getting great shaves now... I think I've finally nailed my technique and hardware down. I have also gotten a nice little soap den started. I have tried almost all the well known artisans but realized I have never tried a cream. I was thinking about trying a derby cream or one of the old spice creams maggard sells. Which would y'all recommend. I do not have anywhere local or even within a couple of hours drive that have any wet shaving gear. I've been thinking that on my next order when and wherever it may be...... I will add a tube of cream. Thanks!

Bobcat, Carbide Mike and Keithmax like this.
  2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I can't comment on the Derby or Maggard's creams, as I haven't used them. I will, however, suggest looking at Taylor of Old Bond Street and Captain's Choice creams. I have the Sandalwood and Cedarwood TOBS creams, sample packs and a tub of Parallel 45 Captain's Choice creams. All of them work extremely well for me and have a solid scent.

Sent via mobile - Chris

Carbide Mike likes this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

COBigelow treats me well if you like Proraso Green. Good menthol kick and it's a lathering cream if that's part of your criteria. My WalMart's sell Cremo in several choices. Not as well received as better brands, but available locally.

Carbide Mike and Primotenore like this.
  4. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

If you are trying to keep the price low, you might check out the European Palmolive Classic SC (the one in the green tube). You can get it off ebay for fairly cheap. It is a great value. My favorite cream is Musco Real Classic, and I would recommend it to anyone looking.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  5. danbuter

danbuter Well-Known Member

Proraso creams are all good, and pretty cheap on Amazon/eBay.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

C.O. Bigelow (rebranded Proraso) at Bath and Body Works (most malls)
    Kiss My Face (KMF) at most supermarkets, drug stores, and stores like Target or WalMart
    Maca Root at The Body Shop (some malls)
    Burt's Bees - DOES NOT LATHER. You may like that, I don't. Buy where you would find KMF.

Those are the ones I've tried and liked, with the exception of the Burt's Bees.

The KMF may say brushless, but it whips up a great lather when you do take a brush to it!!

PLANofMAN and Carbide Mike like this.
  7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :signs011:
    Plus, DRH Creams are good. (I like the Arlington)
    Cyril Salter very good. (Indian Sandalwood)
    Simpsons creams are also excellent.

Carbide Mike and RyX like this.
  8. banks741938

Great suggestions so far.. I forgot about cobigelo soap from bath and body. Might have to give that one a try. Thanks

Carbide Mike likes this.
  9. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Bigelow was my first cream and I liked it a lot. Now my favorite is TOBS Coconut Luxury Shave Cream. Don't know what your budget is but you should check out TOBS and Trumper's stuff.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  10. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

+1

Carbide Mike likes this.
  11. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

I've only got one cream soap as I'm not much of a cream noob, and I only use this only when I'm in a hurry for shaving that's all
    [​IMG]

Carbide Mike likes this.
  12. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Many very very good creams available. One of the absolute best at any cost is Kiss My Face. Unattractive packaging, scents could be a little stronger, but an absolute top of the line performer! It will outperform most creams that cost many times more than it does. Everybody should at least try it. I really love the pomegranate scent.

PLANofMAN, Carbide Mike and Demidog like this.
  13. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

They are a little more but my favorites, Castle Forbes, AoS and DR Harris.

CF is my favorite and while expensive it requires so little it last a long time plus the lather is awesome. Scent is always a personal choice.

jeraldgordon and Carbide Mike like this.
  14. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

I enjoy Speick cream. :)

15. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

PM me your address and I will send you a few.

I would also look at La Toja and Proraso Blue.

Sparrow and Carbide Mike like this.
  16. banks741938

pm sent

Carbide Mike and Bobcat like this.
  17. Kenneth Sampson

Kenneth Sampson Well-Known Member

I think this is or a sandal wood cream are in my next to buy list. I got a sample of this PIFed to me and I like it a lot.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

jeraldgordon and Carbide Mike like this.
  18. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

That was a really nice thing you did !

Bobcat likes this.
  19. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Out of the hundreds of soaps I have tried, Truefitt and Hill and Taylor of Old Bond Street make the best creams. If you search eBay, Facebook wet shaving forums, and/or Amazon...you can get them very reasonably.

If you are looking for lower priced creams, check out derby, Palmolive, and proraso.

For me, life is too short. I spend the extra 2-3 bucks and get the good stuff.

RetLEO-07 and Carbide Mike like this.
  20. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

+1 for T&H. Great creams

Carbide Mike likes this.