Cremo Cooling Shave Cream

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by BaldSoxFan, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Borderboss

Borderboss Active Member

Nothing special. I shave right after getting out of the shower. I apply hot water, put on the shave cream, and have at it. I do two passes, one with the grain and one against, with some sideways swipes on the neck as well.

2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

oh, I just meant, do you use a bodywash or regular soap in the shower,to....paraphrasing Terry Bradshaw in his Lectric Shave ads, "set your beard up"?

3. Borderboss

Borderboss Active Member

Just regular soap. I'm thinking of getting the Jack Black face scrub stuff because I like their products (but not their pricing).

Paul Turner likes this.
  4. DabblinRazors

DabblinRazors Well-Known Member

Thus far, for both performance and fragrance, the Chiseled Face Groomatorium (CFG) products are my hands-down favorites. When I purchase more of them, I will likely buy from their website and get some of their bath soaps, too. I have some trial sizes of some of their soaps and aftershaves, which were purchased from Maggard Razors with some birthday gift money and that was my introduction to Chiseled Face. I fell in love with their stuff and used a Father's Day Amazon gift card to purchase the larger sizes of CFG soaps and aftershave. Thus far, I have the following of their soaps and aftershaves: Trade Winds, Ghost Town Barber, Summer Storm, Cedar and Spice, and Cryogen. I love them all.

Robyflexx likes this.
  5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I bought two a couple summers ago-smelled great, but they would have been more comfortable in colder weather. Then came the password snafu. I'm glad the one I want next is on Maggards's where you got yours.

DabblinRazors likes this.
  6. CarlfromMO

CarlfromMO Well-Known Member

Interesting topic on Cremo. Great product, lots of menthol. I sometimes use Cremo alone, following the instructions on the tube. The only thing to remember is add water to your fingertips and wet your face if it gets dry.

Another great way to use it is with another shave cream, like Proraso or Barbasol regular. To me, either of them alone, dries my skin. But if I make a 50/50 mix of Cremo and Proraso and whip it up with a brush, it is SO much better. The Cremo menthol and the Proraso Sandlewood doesn't smell bad at all. Not a perfect combination, but not bad.

Since I got some samples of Stirling soaps, I doubt that I will be buying anymore Proraso or regular Barbasol. Too bad in a way, I really love the Sandlewood scent in that red tube.

Robyflexx likes this.
  7. DabblinRazors

That's a good point. I've had a number of fantastic shaves combining Cremo Cooling with Taylor of Old Bond Street Jermyn Street and adding a few drops of glycerine. It whips up into a great uber lather and makes for a great shave.

8. Borderboss

Borderboss Active Member

For the past couple of days I've been applying Cremo with my brush instead of by hand. The lather is much better and covers well, however I don't think it feels as slick. But it does get the job done and the number of bleeders has become variable. So at this point, I'll continue to use Cremo because I own it already and will probably shift between it and Proraso.

I did use the Jack Black Face Buff exfoliant this morning. While it resulted in a really close shave, the combination of an exfoliating wash and the menthol in the Cremo resulted in a lot of sting after I was done shaving. I may try that again with non-menthol Cremo or with Proraso to see if that cuts the skin irritation.

Next up, introduce Noxema into the pre-shave ritual on days I don't use the Jack Black. I'm finding a lot of great information on this board!

9. DabblinRazors

@Borderboss, if I understand what you mean, I believe the wet-shaving vernacular for the "bleeders" you've experienced to be weepers. Weepers aren't a nick that truly bleeds and is hard to stop, perhaps requiring the use of a styptic pencil, but instead slowly weep some of the red juices of life. Is that what we are talking about? I have one spot on my neck that periodically, unexpectedly produces a weeper and I really have no idea why, but an alum block does indeed take care of it.

I may have missed it, and I apologize if I did, but what equipment are you using for shaving? Razor? Blade(s)? etc.?

The sensitive skin adorning my visage let me know with certainty that it was in no way amenable to an abrasive scrub followed with the lovingly delicate strokes of a razor's edge. That was just too much for my face at one time. If I am to embrace both, they would have to occur at about the same time on the clock, but about 12 hours apart.

Additionally, if I may, I would suggest you acquire and employ the perfect feedback of an alum block. Since I had no local help venturing into wet shaving, the alum block became my best friend with respect to shaving feedback, and implored me to improve my technique.

Give us more info and we'll be more than glad to help you along. Have a great weekend!

10. Borderboss

Borderboss Active Member

Now that I've switched away from face lathering to building lather in a scuttle, I decided to try Cremo again, this time the Cooling version. I found the lather to be thinner than the lather I get from Proraso cream, but acceptable. It was harder to clean out of the brush than the Proraso.

One thing that was weird feeling was putting on a menthol cooling cream that was warm from the scuttle. Warm and cool at the same time.

ninjack and RyX like this.