Cremo

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by rmcintyre84, Feb 19, 2018.

1. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

Do the Cremo shave creams lather with a brush, or do you just rub them on?

ZipZop and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

You can get it to lather a little if you really try, but IIRC, the lather is not stable. (It may have changed since I last used it years ago.) It's meant to be a brushless cream. In other words, just rub it on and start shaving.

ZipZop likes this.
  3. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

If it's the cream in a tube, just rub it on .
    Cremo has come out with a lathering shave cream in a jar. That's meant to be used with a brush.

ZipZop likes this.
  4. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Cremo makes 2 kinds of shave cream: one in a tube that you just rub on and another in a tub that is meant to lather with a brush. The stuff in the tube is meant to be used brushless and doesnt lather, although you can get it to lather a little bit with a brush. The stuff in a tube is super slick too.
    The stuff in a tub I find isnt quite as slick as the stuff in the tube, although it lathers a lot better with a brush and unlike the tube, the lather doesnt break down quickly.

ZipZop likes this.
  5. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

Yeah, the tube stuff is meant for just rubbing onto the skin, although I find that in order to get decent coverage, I need a lot more than the dime-sized recommended amount. I may try using my brush to apply smaller amounts just to see if it'll work. The Cooling shave cream out of the tube is AWESOME. The menthol in the cream is enough that my face feels nice and cool long after my shave, making post-shave balm application unnecessary.

ZipZop and RyX like this.
  6. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

I love to mix Cremo Cooling with Barbasol Arctic Chill... a little of each in a bowl and they whip up into great lather. The combo feels fantastic too. Cremo Cooling also whips up a great bowl lather with Williams. I haven't tried the original tube, but do have a tub of the Sandalwood, and I really enjoy the way it lathers.

gorgo2 and ZipZop like this.
  7. ZipZop

ZipZop Well-Known Member

Desert island? I'd choose to take Cremo Cooling. Love the stuff. Proraso Green is my favorite overall for a "luxurious" straight razor shave, but Cremo Cooling is just so easy to work with, it's my go-to cream when I'm in a hurry and need a comfortable quick shave with a DE razor.

I rub it on by hand mostly, but as stated by others, you can use a brush with water and get it to lather a bit. I use a synthetic brush and face-lather it as much as it will fluff. I personally feel that if you take the time to face-lather with a brush, then Cremo does yield an even better shave. Slight, but apparent to me. Although hand application of Cremo is also very good.

I have often touted that Cremo combined with an Edwin Jagger DE89 and Feather Blades make a great BBS Shave combo even for a Noob - as long as he/she does not PUSH the razor. You do that and even a mild razor like the Jagger with slickery Cremo will yield razor burn. But Cremo really does help reduce burn, and if you like menthol, the Cremo Cooling is great.

8. CarlfromMO

CarlfromMO Well-Known Member

You can use it with a brush, but it doesn't lather much. Works with or without a brush. I can use wet hands and spread a dab of Cremo over my face and start the shave. If the humidity is low, it may dry out before you finish the first pass, but not to worry, just use your wet hand and rub your face again, it will return to a slick state.

My favorite way to use Cremo is to use it in combination with another shave cream, (or canned foam or soap), that maybe needs a little help in the slickness department. As mentioned above, canned shave cream, a dab of Cremo, water and a brush makes a great lather. I used it this way this morning. Noxema red can, Cremo menthol, a bit of water and a wet badger brush. Made a very nice lather and slick shave.

I found it also improves Poraso creams and canned Barbasol as well.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  9. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

I have not had a good experience with Cremo. It lathers, but just better than if I use hand soap.
    I may try mixing it with the Barbasol, to see if that makes any difference.
    I hope it helps, but my expectations are not very high.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  10. Ijustmissedthe50s

Cremo Cooling and Arctic Chill Barbasol make a great feeling combo, and work into a fantastic lather. Cremo by itself though seems to work into better lather than I've been reading, even with my hard water and cheap little brush. I'm a big fan. I like the Sandalwood tub, too, either alone or with one of the other Barbasols. 346x0f4.jpg

Jayaruh likes this.
  11. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Does the Barbasol Arctic Chill have "Est. 1919" on the can, as does the Original?

12. Ijustmissedthe50s

Yup, mine do.

13. Jack19

Jack19 Member

Love Cremo tubes...Original and Cooling.

Not a big fan of the Mango/Coconut or the Sandalwood.

RyX and gorgo2 like this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Original irritates me slightly, as did sandalwood. Cooling is all I use from them and I like it.

RyX likes this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've used and enjoyed both Original and Cooling. Ought to dig them out from the back of my soap storage cabinet.
    I haven't tried the other two scents yet. I purchased a tube of the (now discontinued) Lady Cremo for a lady friend. When I'm told she's in need of another I'll get both sandalwood and mango-coconut and sample before I pass them on.