Crystal Blade question

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Will, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Will

Will Nevermind

Do they really = the famed IP's

I am really starting to like the IP and want to know if they are really the same before I get a ton of them. :D

@ 13 dollars for 100 of them, I can make this my blade.

2. sysiphus

sysiphus Member

The Crystals are fantastic. IMHO, they are every bit the equal of the famed IP.

3. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Please Stop Now !!

I really do not want to try any more blades.
    I am perfectly happy with my Derbys and Feathers.
    If this nonsense continues I will be forced to beg for a sampler of Crystal....blades, that is ;)

.........got.. toooo ..... stop ............... the..... BAD !

4. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

That's the rumor but I can't say for sure. I have 200+ IPs so I'm not too concerned. I'm with Rick. The Derby's and Feathers do it for me. The IPs are a bonus. I will say the Crystals shave like the IPs so it could be.

5. Will

Will Nevermind

I will give you 13 bucks for 100 of them. :D

6. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

Could not agree more.. I dont need any more good blades.. Cant people just find bad blades that I dont need.. :rofl :rofl :rofl

7. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Pirate!!! :D

8. Will

Will Nevermind

Being the only Shellback on the board (I think)

I will take that as a compliment. :D

9. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Doc's new Avatar. :rofl

[​IMG]

10. Will

Will Nevermind

YARRRRRRRRRRRR, is she approved by the Order of The Golden Dragon?

11. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I don't know. Did you cross the International Date Line? :D Well, since you're a shellback you must have.

12. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Most people believe that they are the same. Crystal's/IP's
    They are made by the American Safety Razor Co in Israel. They carry the same patent # and have the same blue and white wrapper except that they come 10 in a plastic box in a Crystal package. ASRCO uses the Crystal name for some of their medical blades as well as disposable razors. I believe that letterk contacted the company and they indicated that they are the same blade. I found them at a little $ store in Fort Myers, FL. 10 blades for $1.
    In fact I just picked up 200 this week.:D

13. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Doc should be contacting Steve any second now. :D

14. Will

Will Nevermind

Steve has been contacted. :D

15. Will

Will Nevermind

Shellback = Equator
    Golden Shellback = Equator and Date line.

Been their done that.

16. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

STEVE !!

....is da man ;)
    Thanks, bro. ::

17. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Will and Rick,
    Just caught the postman, he thought the Santa stamps were a nice touch.
    Samples on the way!

18. PottyDoctor

PottyDoctor Jeff Foxworthy of Shaving

Glad to see this discussion on Crystal blades. The original IP's have turned out to be my 'go to' blade, and I am down to my last 25 or so. I know...I know...it's insane for any wetshaver to be that low on anything!

I've tried Merkurs, Feathers, Swedish Gillettes, Derbys, 7AMs and Sharps. Feathers too sharp for my sensitive skin, Merkurs too rough, 7AMs and Sharps were OK. Derbys are good and I could get adjusted to them. I really like the Swedes but they are expensive and not readily available. That pretty much leaves me with the IP's or Crystals that you say are the same.

Since my return to wetshaving a few years ago I've tried lots of different products, but am concentrating on 'minimizing' now to just keep what works best for me. I'm no longer trying to achieve BBS every shave; I am shooting for the most irritation free, comfortable shave and at the same time 'close enough for comfort'. Blade wise, that leaves me returning to the IP's almost every shave; they just seem to be the 'sweet spot' when matched with my Merkur HD or 1904.

And just when I thought I was settled on a blade....I read today that Wilkinson Sword German blades are available to us US shavers! What's a guy to do?

19. Will

Will Nevermind

Ron,

Westcostshaving has the S Gillette's in bulk. :D

However they are still expensive. Just not as they once were.

20. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

I've found some new faves in the big sampler pack here. In particular, the (German) Wilkinsons and the Astra Superior Platinum were good for me. YMMV, of course.