Crystal DE Blades

Discussion in 'Blade Reviews' started by Bronco, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Crystal double edge blades. if you like the bulk packaged IP's then you'll like these. They share the same patent number as well as the familiar blue and white wrapper. Both from ASRCO. I first picked them up at a local $ store a couple of years ago. 10 blades for $1. We've discussed these several times in the forum and they are my go-to blade most of the time. Easy on the skin, I find the shave clean, close and smooth. As always YMMV. :D

2. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

These are my every day blades. They do the job and do them very well!

I find these to be consistently smooth and are never rough on the first shave. I also never get wheepers from them or nicks unless I go horizontal on my skin.. which I am sure is not the intended use.

The price is right too, around 12 bucks for 100 of them. Really can't go wrong with that!

I find I have to replace them every 4 shaves or so, maybe 5.

They rank between Derbys and Feathers on the Patented Ken Sharpness Scale. Derby's were rougher in my personal comparison and Feathers were just scary sharp. A nice balance these Crystals are.

You owe it to yourself to at least give them a shot!

3. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

Until recently - when I discovered Astra Superior Platinums - these were my favorite blades. Sharp and smooth. Dirt cheap, as well. I still have several packs from my Christmas stocking (wife bought me 100 blades).

4. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I remember very well these blades. I used them all the time when I was in the IDF. They gave good shaves, although they didn't last too, too long for me. At least, they're not too harsh.

5. mgarbell

mgarbell New Member

I'm a newbie, and I haven't tried that many blades yet, so keep that in mind.

I received these as part of a sampler when I got a razor. So far I've tried Israeli Personnas, Derby Extras, and Gillettes from Rite Aide.

These are my least favorites of the bunch. They seemed pretty sharp, but they don't work for me very well. They leave way more beard than any of the others. They also don't seem to glide as well, at least for me.

Sharpness - I gave them a 6 because they did leave more hair than usual

Longevity - I tried 5 shaves before I gave up, and 2 different blades, so can't really say how long they last, but I think that 6 is fair

Skin-Friendly - Didn't get any more irritation, nicks or cuts than any other blade, but they weren't as comfortable

Quality - Hard to say since I only have 1 pack.

Price - They were free, but I know they can be had for a decent price.

I'm sure that at some point I'll try them again. After I've been shaving longer, or get another razor (using a Fat Boy now). But, for now, just not for me.

6. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Very razor specific blade

Depend on the razor, these are either hard to get a close shave with, or a very good blade. Not my favorite blade, but one of the best at its price.

7. CloseShaver

CloseShaver Member

A good blade for the price

Overall this is a good blade for the price. It is not as sharp as some, but it is pretty forgiving. In my opinion, it is pretty smooth. Typically I get three shaves out of it with my Futur.

8. akhorosh

akhorosh New Member

They are pretty good blades, but not the best ones.
    Feather is much sharper.

9. Special_K

Special_K New Member

Not bad but just not sharp enough and seemed to cause a lot of irriation for me.:(

10. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Reasonable sharpness that is best suited for an aggressive razor or for head shaving (head hair cuts easier for me than facial hair). life is good but nothing outstanding. Blade is very smooth and never had a bad blade. Price is great for the quality - can't get better at the price.

11. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Mild and Quality

I concur with other posts that this is a super mild blade that shines in aggressive razors. It is my best performer in my Gillette New, and it also shines in my Fatboy or Slim when settings are on 8 or 9. It gives me BBS shaves on 3 passes with no nicks or irritation, and you cannot beat the price. It is especially friendly on my neck.