Curious About SE Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dustmite, Dec 23, 2016.

1. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I received a $10 non-rechargable gift e-card, and was searching for something to spend it on. Doing a search for razors on ebay showed quite a few results for Gem SE razors in the sub $10 range. I have zero experience with these, and the blade options for them, but it piqued my curiosity. So how about a "SE for Dummies" guide from people in the know? What blades and where to get them, which razors to go after and what to walk away from. Any help is much appreciated!

TobyC, Carbide Mike, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  2. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Blades most often are GEMs which are very easy to find and buy. But, some SEs take proprietary blades that are not so easy to get. In some cases you can modify other blades to do this but not in all. So, if you post a pic of the razor or razors in question I am sure you'll get some answers to help out. Warning... Rabbit Hole ahead... :D

TobyC, Carbide Mike, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

4. dustmite

Yeah, I figured! I'm completely open to suggestions on razors, all suggestions welcome. The ones I've been looking at are MicroMatic and 1912's, which are the only ones I remember hearing about before. And @swarden43, thanks for the link, I'll be sure to check it out!

5. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

All GEM razors are good! GEM stainless blades only, don't get GEM Blue Star carbon steel blades!

Best all around SE is the 1912, If you want mild look at the Featherweight, if you want aggressive go for a MMOC. (Micromatic open comb) I really can't think of any that you should avoid!

Carbide Mike, Jim99, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Subscribed! (Thanks for the link Steve @swarden43)
    I've a couple of these, but after several attempts using two different blades have set them aside. I'd like to like them.

Carbide Mike, Jim99, dustmite and 2 others like this.
  7. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

Have you tried The Bunny by twhite? I think that the sign up period for the pass around might have just been extended by a tiny bit since someone new signed up at the last moment. I haven't made the jump to SEs myself but I heard that the thicker blades are very comfortable, though I'm not sure how injector blades compare to traditional GEM blades or AC blades.

Carbide Mike, Jim99, RyX and 2 others like this.
  8. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

All good advice here, and I'd like to add I use Personna Gem SE blades. If there is a Walgreens near you, they usually have them in stock, also they can be found online. Also the thread that
    @swarden43 mentioned above will have good advice from members here.

9. dustmite

I have tried the Bunny, and to date it's been my absolute favorite razor. EVER! I'm up to 3 injectors, and have my eye out for a PAL InjectoMatic, but I haven't tried any of the Gem type SE's. Yet...

Carbide Mike, Jim99, twhite and 3 others like this.
  10. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I currently have and use a GEM Featherweight and a GEM Pushbutton, both with good success. I like the Pushbutton a little more. They are both mild but very efficient.

GEM blades are not hard to find online. Make sure they are for shaving and not blades to scrape stickers off your car! Big difference. You can get just a few at a time at tryablade.com.

I had a MMOC but decided to sell it. It was just too aggressive for me. Others here love it.

TobyC, Carbide Mike, Jim99 and 5 others like this.
  11. dustmite

I don't suppose you'd be interested in trading one for an injector?

Carbide Mike, twhite and RyX like this.
  12. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I have a few Gem models, but I like the G-Bar for shaving the most. Nice weight to it and it really looks nice.

13. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

I suggest one's first SE razor be a 1912. It is a good solid shaver, and it's the base line razor that all other SE's are compared to.

14. swarden43

I find the 1912 a bit on the rough side. The Clog-Pruf and Push Button seem to be smoother. My best SE shaves, though, come from the MMOC. Not one I would recommend for a beginner, but with an experienced touch, it may be my most efficient SE.

But that's me.

Carbide Mike, Jim99 and twhite like this.
  15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I don't find huge differences within the 1912 or Micromatic families. Though I have a bit of a preference for the former the truth is for the price of three lattes you can get one of each. Remember when you are discussing 80 year old razors issues like alignment can easily explain different user experiences but unlike a Gillette adjustable, for example, there's not much to go wrong.

Carbide Mike, Jim99 and RyX like this.
  16. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

17. dustmite

Thanks, @richgem, some great reading!

18. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

Swarden43, I don't disagree with you.

The Micromatic OC is a #1 favorite SE razor of mine, and I agree with you that the Clog-Pruf and the Push Button are mellow and wonderful for a SE novice.

Still, I would recommend the 1912 as the ideal first SE for a newbie. As a great historical razor it's also a benchmark for comparison of future SE purchases, arguably the most common of vintage SE's, and it's a very good shaver.

19. swarden43

Carbide Mike and richgem like this.
  20. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Dustmite, make the plunge asap. You won't regret it! Gem razors are cheap and plentiful, plus they're great shavers. I think the best blades out there are the Gem Personna blades. They can be found in many chain drug stores and major supermarkets.

There's lots of great advice and the variety of razors will feed your RAD.

Read up and make your choice. My favorites are the Damaskeene, any 1912, the g-bar and the micromatic. You won't regret it!

TobyC, Carbide Mike and dustmite like this.