Curious About SE Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dustmite, Dec 23, 2016.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Those are the blades I use. I get them at ShopRite.
    I cannot, will not, do not recommend Treet blades.

TobyC, Jim99 and dustmite like this.
  2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

You're welcome. Good luck.

dustmite likes this.
  3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

$4.49 for 10 blades at Shop Rite! How can you beat that?

4. richgem

At that price you could afford to drop them all in the John. LOL

twhite, dustmite and Jim99 like this.
  5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

:happy097:

Man, I'll never live that one down. Yes, I ran over to Shop Rite the next day to get replacement blades.

Actually, it took me a moment for your statement to register with me and then I started to laugh. My wife just asked me "what's so funny?" At least she didn't tell me I looked "flushed".

:happy102:

twhite, RyX, dustmite and 2 others like this.
  6. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

@dustmite
    Don't fret sir. I got you.pm me. I may have an SE for you.

Jim99 and dustmite like this.
  7. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I appreciate the offer, but I worked out a deal. My curiosity should be satisfied in a week or so!

RyX, Jorvaljr and Jim99 like this.
  8. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Dustmite, I'm in suspense. Tell us what you get and what you think. The SE world is pretty cool! You might never go back to DEs.

dustmite likes this.
  9. dustmite

I'll post pics here when they arrive. I think I'm working through shaving history backwards, I guess straights are next, then maybe flint shards?

Jim99 and RyX like this.
  10. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

No problem. Enjoy your new razor

Jim99 and dustmite like this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

It goes Straights, Spoons, then flint shards.

richgem, Jim99 and dustmite like this.
  12. dustmite

My mistake! Can't forget such an integral part of shaving history like spoons! :happy088:

Jim99 and RyX like this.
  13. dustmite

First, the teaser:
    20161230_152839.jpg
    Next, the family photo:
    20161230_152541.jpg
    I was able to work out a trade with Rick @RyX for these lovelies. I'm going to take one for a spin later this evening, so if no one hears from me for a few days, send help! :D I also got 4 of the SE samplers from tryablade.com, and a few other goodies:
    20161230_152739.jpg
    The blades are Gem Stainless, Carbon, and Stainless PTFE Coated, and Pal Blue Carbon. Which blade would those more knowledgeable recommend to try first?

RyX and richgem like this.
  14. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

Outstanding box! There's something about wood.

As to the blade I have no idea which you should try first. Personally I believe the best blade, all factors considered, will prove to be the stainless PTFE coated. Stainless and a coating are a wonderful combination!

dustmite likes this.
  15. richgem

Wow! Nice. Personally, I find carbon blades to be rougher. So, either strop the carbon blades first or start with the PTFE. Personally, I'd start with the PTFE.

dustmite likes this.
  16. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

My vote is for the coated blades. The others never worked for me and went into my tool box for utility purposes. The carbon blade is a rough shave and rusts before you can finish your coffee.

RyX and dustmite like this.
  17. dustmite

I used the boxed Gem with a coated blade. Fresh from the shower, I lathered up with Stirling Sandalwood. I started right in front of my right ear, and my first thought was who is starting a chainsaw? Wow, is that thing loud! Finished up my first pass, a bit awkward under my nose, but no blood and nothing hurt. The biggest surprise came when I rinsed to do my second pass, I was almost BBS! I decided to go ahead with an ATG, and a bit of touch up under nose and chin, I was as smooth as the day I was born. The alum proved my beginners luck, barely any tingle, and I finished up with a cold water rinse and Stirling Sandalwood AS. This is probably the closest I've ever been to a "perfect" shave, and I'm not even familiar with the razor yet! A big thank you to @RyX for the razor, and @richgem for the tutorial. I can hardly wait for my next shave!

twhite, George X, richgem and 3 others like this.
  18. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Awesome! Glad it went so well! SE and Injectors are my favorite razors. So smooth and efficient.

19. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Shaving around the nose is the trickiest part when first using an SE. You will get used to that part.

Also, the sounds from an SE are like music!

Get used to great shaves from SEs. I'm sure you'll wonder why you didn't start sooner!

Congratulations on the shave.

jmudrick, twhite and dustmite like this.
  20. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Very good man! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Sounds like you nailed it. I love the noise that the old SE razors make. Happy new year!

jmudrick, twhite, PLAla and 2 others like this.