Curious

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jason koonce, Nov 5, 2017.

1. jason koonce

jason koonce Well-Known Member

so my grandfather and I were talking today and he is looking for a razor he was issued in the 40’s by the navy. That he was going to pass it down to me as soon as he finds it. He said he believes it is a old Gillette. He said you twist the handle and it would open at the top and just drop in the blade

2. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Interesting... Are we talking WWII? If so, it seems odd that it would be a TTO. That would mean that it is a pre-War Gillette Ranger Tech. Usually, you only hear of three-piece Gillette Tech razors as military issue. I suppose, though, that some back stock of Ranger Techs might have been diverted to the military in the early days of the war.
    Let us know what he finds.

3. jason koonce

As soon as he finds it and I have it I will post some pics. Just seeing what info others may have about that time.

sdguero, wristwatchb and cliffb599 like this.
  4. jason koonce

As soon as I can get somewhere and sit down I’m going to try to do a little research see what I can find out

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That would be a fine razor.

6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

THIS is the kind of thread that makes TSD what it is!

178-bplatoon, sdguero, RyX and 2 others like this.
  7. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

sdguero likes this.
  8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The Navy cases were blue. But they were Tech razors. I've never heard of a TTO being issued.

Some TTO razors were available at the commissary, but they were civilian models.

My grandpa was issued a Schick razor. USS Melvin, destroyer in the Pacific campaign. He said that no one would read books on the ship because they were sure they would die before they got to finish it.

Edit: he was reprimanded once for shooting down a Kamikaze. He left his fire lane to get it.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    sdguero, RyX and Keithmax like this.
  9. jason koonce

I do know he said it was brass

10. jar

jar Well-Known Member

It also may depend on when in the 40s it happened. If it was very late during the immediate post war era, 1946-1948 then it could also have been a Tech.

sdguero likes this.
  11. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

That's why I asked about the whether WWII was ongoing. @jason koonce said it was a TTO, so that either means a pre-War Ranger Tech or a post-War SuperSpeed. (Were the 46's called a SuperSpeed?) Since it was military issue, I'm ignoring more exotic variants like Milords and Aristocrats.

Personally, I'm kind of wondering about the possibility of Ranger Techs being issued during the very early days of the war. We know that there are some odd RTs out there that mixed and matched RT and Milord platings, for instance. Is it possible that, in some initial push, some were provided to the military that had either already been completed or were completed using available parts? After that, everything was devoted to making Techs.

sdguero and jar like this.
  12. jason koonce

I’m not entirely sure what exact year just told me in the 40’s. I just can’t wait to get it and research and find out more about it. I’m sure I could have been prewar though

sdguero likes this.
  13. Missing Lynx

Missing Lynx Well-Known Member

I looked at this site, Mr. Razor, and see a bunch that are pre war

14. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

I bet he didn't regret doing what he had to do in the heat of the moment!

PLANofMAN and jason koonce like this.
  15. jason koonce

I agree fully

PLANofMAN likes this.
  16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I far as I know, he never regretted it. Regretted the necessity of it, but never regretted having done the deed.

jason koonce likes this.