Custom handle

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by cooncatbob, Oct 8, 2008.

1. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

Here's a little something I whipped up today.
    [​IMG]
    I think doing the same design on the barrel and knob is a bit much.
    Tomorrow I'm going to make one out of brass and flute the end like I do my Progress knobs.

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Making a tech look like a super speed, thats like making hannah montana look like lindsey lohan. It may be pretty, but its still a tech :D

Nice work on the handle though! I just dislike techs

3. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

Yea but put a Feather in it and it will cut like a Samurai Sword.
    Also that handle will work with any 3 piece razor including Merkurs.

4. JimR

JimR Active Member

that's a mighty fine handle!
    And the tech is a lovely shaver, mine treat me like a king.

5. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I actually tried a feathers in a bunch of techs and just didnt like the shave I got. It was sharp, but it also wasnt smooth and felt like it was giving me razor burn. I shaved for a year with nothing but feathers and a merkur HD but have found other blades I liked better. Unfortunately, I've never enjoyed a shave I got from a tech. Too bad I like the handle on my HD. It is very nice though.

If anybodies a tech fan, they should deffinetly get one of these handles!

6. TG_Charles

TG_Charles Member

Nice work, CoonCatBob. Is that handle material aluminum? If it is it would look pretty cool anodized.

I’ve had a couple of ball end techs in my collection for years and never bothered to shave with them until just a few days ago. I wish I hadn’t waited so long; the tech is a sweet little razor. Shaves very well and gets under my nose better than any other razor I’ve ever used. The Gillette logo on the top cap is pretty nifty too!

7. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

I agree, nice work Bob. Not crazy about the style but that is personal pref and I am sure that you will make changes to the handle as you make more.

What I like is that it is seems to be a longer handle. When I first resumed DE shaving I wanted a razor with a very long handle, kinda like my Fusion. Didn't happen so I just got used to the short handle of my HD and then my vintage Gillettes. So now I don't know that I would want a razor with a longer handle.

By the way, I would like it better if more of the handle were polished to a high shine. Keep up the work, you may have found a way to make some extra cash to finance your favorite shaving related acquisition disorder. :)

8. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

Here's a handle I just made for a guy who has a New with a cracked handle.
    BTW. This handle is solid brass and will never crack.
    [​IMG];)

9. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Very nice Bob! :signs107

10. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

Here's the latest from Bob's Razor Works
    [​IMG]

11. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

I like the fact that the handle has ridges so it's easier to hold even if your hand are wet or slippery from soap.

12. apswartz

apswartz New Member

great work!

13. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

What is the weight on one of those brass handles? They look great!

14. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

The straight fluted handle is 55 grams the other 2 are both 50 grams.
    A ball end Tech handle weighs 35 grams.
    These handle are 3 inches long.
    Personally I lie the added weigh but it can be reduced by drilling out the handle.

15. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I am a fan of heavy razors myself. I am going to send you a PM proposition quick here.

16. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

Here's my Barber Pole proto type shown with a Merkur head.
    [​IMG]

17. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I'm impressed! You should get a plating kit, then you'd be in business!

18. JimR

JimR Active Member

Damn, Bob, you do good work. I wish I had the spare cash to buy one off you.
    Keep it up, you're sure to start getting buyers.

19. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

Here's the fat handle version.
    [​IMG]

20. Sailinblues

Sailinblues Well-Known Member

I received a "thin" barberpole handle from Bob today. The quality of the machining is excellent! I put an unused Gillette "NEW" head on it. That set up puts the balance point app 1.25" below the comb, just about perfect for me. Thanks Bob, very nice work.