Custom Tech Handles by Eric - Wowee!!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by f1junkie, Aug 12, 2008.

1. f1junkie

f1junkie New Member

Hi There -

I believe this is my second thread, and I wanted to show everyone my latest acquisitions. I got Eric (of Mergress fame) to custom make these handles to fit the Gillette Tech heads. I had three made - short, medium and long. I use the long for leg shaving (road cyclist) and the short will likely be for head shaving when I get around to it. The medium I got just in case I wanted to use a Tech for regular face shaving, although it's not in my rotation yet. Eric nicknamed these "The Three Stooges"...

I picked up a few NOS Techs on the 'bay' - they were the travel shavers, so the handles are really too short for anything useful, but with my new handles, I'll be set for a very long time.

The weight of these is incredible - solid stainless steel and the sandblasted. Check out the grooves he machined at the ends - this man is a genius.

So let me know what you think - I'm surprised I haven't read more about anyone else wanting custom handles for a Tech - am I odd or is my techy background a bit too extreme?

Cheers from Canada,

Dave

Attached Files:

2. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

I had a progress done from Eric. Great work and his customer service was beyond amazing (The first one he did for me was lost.. the 2nd one was no issue with him at all).

If anyone is the market for some of his work, you can rest assured.

I have seen those handles as well, they look very nice!

3. Padron

Padron Active Member

Those look great Dave, Congrats!! :happy005

4. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

They look a tad thick compared to the handle but I like the looks of 'em anyway :D

5. -PO-

-PO- New Member

Pretty cool :D

6. -PO-

-PO- New Member

Do you have a link for him? Googled and all I get is B&B and TSD :confused:

7. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

I have heard through the grapevine that his razors are now available through Leesrazors.com . I know when Lee launched his site re-design Eric's work showed up.

8. -PO-

-PO- New Member

Thanks

9. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I've got a Mergress too and can only join the chant of how great it is! Those Tech handles looks very nice... Hmm.. wonder how they go with NOS Lux heads? :p

10. f1junkie

f1junkie New Member

I think all you need is a 10-32 thread (I believe). I know the handles look a bit chunky, but the weight and feel is absolutely incredible!

Thanks for your comments so far.

Dave

11. JimR

JimR Active Member

I want one!

They look awesome, really. I wonder if it'll make a big difference in the shave?

12. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

It will make a little difference depending on the weight and the handle length, but in the end, a tech is a tech. Its the head that makes most of the difference.

13. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

Whats the weight on those??
    I've made some brass handle and I needed to drill them out to reduce the weight.

14. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

A week ago I may have agreed... I shaved with a Chatsworth this morning. If you dig deep enough you can probably find a post of mine saying something like "It's just a merkur head on an overpriced fancy handle." Never again. I don't know if it is the balance, or the weight or what, but it shaves entirely differently.

15. JimR

JimR Active Member

I had heard this before from Chatsworth owners on SMF, which is why I was wondering. It makes sense--the handle is where the head connects to your hand, and the hand is where control comes in.