Cut the crap out of my face!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Lionel, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Lionel

Lionel Member

I bought the Merkur futur DE razor six months ago and finally decided to use it yesterday. I have been wet shaving for 8 months with almost little to no Knicks or cuts. That is until yesterday! I set the razor on various number settings. The lower ones, 1-3 felt like my hairs were being pulled out. So I moved the dial up to 7. That is when all hell broke loose. I had several cuts that I had to use a septic pencil on. One was so bad, that I went with my wife to the makeup department at Nordstrom, to have a makeup person cover it up.

I have several Merkur DE razors and they are all wonderful. Have others had a similar experience with this razor? Is mine defective? It was a completely unacceptable shave and now I have to resort to using the electric shaver until my face heals.

Any comments would be appreciated.

2. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

About a week or so, I had what I call "A Practice in Blood Letting!" I was using my vintage 1968 Gillette TTO DE . I have a problem with my hands going numb . You didn't say what blade you were using. I was using a Shark DE blade. Since then I used my Weber 3pc D/E with an Astra Blade. I haven't had any nicks or weepers.

3. Lionel

Lionel Member

Patrick,
    At first I used a Israeli Personnas, then switched to a Merkur Super razor. The Merkur which I have used in other DE razors with no problem, until this particular DE razor.

4. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Every blade doesn't work equally well in every razor, even for the same user. It may be a bad combination for you. Also, did you change anything else in your shaving routine?

fram773 likes this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Ouch! I hope you're okay! When I use the Progress and R41 I need to adjust my angle accordingly. I hope you have a speedy healing process.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hope you heal up quick!

My Futur stays put at just a tad under 3. For you to go from 3 and crank it up to 7 takes some ....
    Pulling and tugging tells me that more than likely you don't have the right blade for that razor, just as Sara said. Don't ask me (or anyone else, for that matter) what the right blade is because what works for me may not work for you; only your face can tell you.
    Do you have, or have you thought about, a Blade Sample pack?

(and by the way, it's a "styptic" pencil, not a "septic" pencil ;))

Aimless1 likes this.
  7. Aimless1

Aimless1 Active Member

Use it at level 1 or 2 to start and don't move up until you're comfortable shaving at that setting. Angles are different for every razor. If you haven't start wit the handle parallel to the floor and bring it down until you find the correct one. Different blades for different razors.

I have found that I can shave with almost any thing if I take my time and pay attention. However, I don't like adjustables. I loved how the Mergress XL looked but never loved the shave, no matter the setting. You may be the same, but until you can shave with the razor you won't know for certain.

8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I blame the blade.
    The Futur is not a difficult razor from which to pull a good smooth shave. It is not overly particular about angle; and requires but a modest amount of pressure. I DO recommend, as others have, to keep the razor set at the lowest settings (1-3) until the situation (uncomfortable pulling & tugging) with the blade is resolved.
    At the upper settings (6-7), risk of injury is greatly 'enhanced.'

9. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

:signs011:I love my futur in the beginning it ate my thumb to the tune of 5 stitches. Slipped adjusting. It took a while to master but it was worth it. Like Kevin said can't recommend a blade because what you mentioned didn't work for you is my goto blade for that razor.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  10. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

When I used a DE my favorite combo was a mild razor with a very sharp blade. So I suggest you find a sharper blade (Ie the American-made Personna) to avoid the tugging. And don't make such a sudden jump- 3 to 7

11. WetShaveObsession

WetShaveObsession Well-Known Member

I sold mine after 5-6 shaves. If you want a merkur adjustable the progress or long handled progress is hard to beat. The futur is simply too bulky. I have a progress and I love it. The futur has too much to the outside of the blade on each side and also has way to bulky a head for me. I just wasnt comfortable and thought why should I work so hard to get used to something when there are so many others of that something I can pick right up and enjoy with no effort what so ever. So bye bye futur ...

12. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Hope for a quick recovery!

I'm not a user of adjustable razors, but to jump from 3 to 7 seems a jump too far to me. I'd go one step at a time. And as some more above have pointed out, de blade might be to blame. Pop in a different brand and try again! It may take some tries, but you'll get there in the end!

13. michael54

michael54 Well-Known Member

I've used my futur for almost a year now with a feather blade and know if you try to give yourself a quick shave on 7 you're gonna bleed. A 7 setting or 6.5 actually I'm pretty sure that's as high as they will go gives you a huge blade gap that isn't as forgiving as a superspeed. 3.5 is perfect for me for a dfs. If I'm feeling adventurous I allow 45 mind to shave and every stroke is very slow and methodical. By far my most aggressive razor and the only reason I haven't bought an r 41 because I highly doubt it will be more aggressive than the futur

14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    It sounds like a blade issue to me. If a blade setting is uncomfortable to me, I usually would go down, not up in settings. Just because 7 is a perfect number doesn't mean it will give a perfect shave. Hope you heal up just fine.