CVS DE blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Art Vandelay, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Active Member

I've been a Derby man for a while now, but when I found myself running low I picked up a pack of DE's at CVS. I have to say I'm very impressed. I'm still going to order my Derby's again online when I get the money together for my big fall haul, but I wanted to share my experience and say that CVS makes a pretty darn good blade, IMHO.

2. prostx23

prostx23 Member

Hi,

I've used them myself when I started DE shaving and they are decent. The only reason I stopped was their price. It's much cheaper for me to simply buy BlueBirds (my blade of choice) online. The CVS blades are convienient though.
    Mike

3. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

I like the CVS brand single edge blades a lot, but have never used the double edge version.

4. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I think they are repackaged Personnas. Please correct me if anyone knows different.

5. prostx23

prostx23 Member

I've heard the same thing as well.

6. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

Yep. I like the Wal Mart Wilkinson Sword DEs better.
    I use Derby blades more than any other.
    The Wally World Wilkies are much cheaper than the CVS DE.
    I like the CVS, Rite Aid, and Walgreens SE blades.

7. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Not sure but I thought I read the CVS and Family Dollar blades, both DE and SE, are Dorco-made whereas the Walgreens, Dollar General and Wal-Mart blades are Wilkinson-Sword (were American Safety Razor/GEM/Personna but since Energizer/Schick/WS owns ASR/GEM/Personna now, they would be made by WS)

8. battle.munky

:yoda2

That is all.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  9. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

lol Like I said, I "thought" I read it.. I don't know for sure. :)

battle.munky likes this.
  10. battle.munky

:prrr:

11. Nairb

Nairb Active Member

It's been awhile... I thought I read on the CVS DE package "made in Korea" in fine print on the back. That'd make 'em Dorcos.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  12. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

Nope, CVS blades are ASR Personnas.

I buy my Personnas at the BX on a Military installation and they are cheap. $1.50 for 10. They are my blade of choice. Much better than Derbys IMO. I get at least 7 shaves out of them. The DE blades from Dollar General are Korean Dorcos.

ASR Makes their blades in 4 different "grades".

1) Stainless Steel (CVS)
    2) Stainless Steel w/ Comfort Coating (Walgreens, Hospital Use/Med Preps)
    3) Platinum Chrome (Personna Direct, Military BXs, Walmart)
    4) Platinum Chrome w/ Comfort Coating (Sally Beauty)

1)
    [​IMG]

2)
    [​IMG]

3)
    [​IMG]

4)
    [​IMG]

battle.munky likes this.
  13. troy

troy Member

I used them once, 1 blade the rest went into the round container

14. CoinsAndMore

CoinsAndMore New Member

I was short and in a hurry the other day and picked up some Dollar General blades. Worked pretty well I'd have to say.

15. Nick A

Nick A Active Member

The Dollar General blades worked well for me for the first shave, but the second shave they got an attitude and tried to gnaw my face off. Since I hear that the Korean generics are Dorcos, it makes me scared to even want to try the Dorcos in the sampler I have.

16. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    You have Dorco ST301 blades. There is also Dorco ST300 blades.
    No idea which variety the Dollar General blades are, but the 301s get better reviews generally.

swarden43, Nick A and IAmTheJody like this.
  17. Nick A

Nick A Active Member

Thanks! That's good information to know.

18. Nairb

Nairb Active Member

Nick, blades are the biggest bone of contention and the subject having the most YMMV in shaving.

You couldn't give me either a Dorco 300 or 301, btdt, and they absolutely didn't work for me for even one shave. THBS, I like Merkurs and lots of folks can't stand Merkurs. I put Merkurs off for quite a while because of what others wrote about them.

Just because I think Dorcos are the blades straight out of hell, that doesn't mean you will. Lots of folks like them. No matter what anyone says about a blade, try it anyway. You may like it. Keep an open mind and form your own opinion.

19. Nick A

Nick A Active Member

It's the Dollar General Dorcos that I've had trouble with, it just made me cautious to try the other Dorcos I got in my sampler.

At this point, I could just buy Astra, Voskhod, and Treet Durasharps and be happy for life. I will, however, soldier on and finish the sampler.

20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've only bought two types of blades in bulk, and I will not buy in bulk a blade I've never tried or don't like.
    The ST301 blade was worth buying in bulk. Astra was the other.