Cyral R Salter " leather & honing paddle strop "

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by markchippy, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

If you have any experienced honers near you, they might be able to run a couple of razors over it, and give their impression.

Billyfergie likes this.
  2. markchippy

markchippy Active Member

Sadly i dont have any experienced honers near ke as im out in the country side but may just take it when im in london the next time thanks for that advice

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Billyfergie likes this.
  3. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

markchippy likes this.
  4. markchippy

markchippy Active Member

Thanks billy that is the exack one i have the maker cyral r salter is uk based. And i think your right about the grit. Ive been looking for some time so appreciate your effort finding the information. Although when i got it. It had a slight chip in the middle of the honing stone which i got out. And the leather was quit dirty. Must of been collecting dust. But did Manage to fix where i caught the leather thanks again billy

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  5. StroppyDog

StroppyDog New Member

I have the same paddle strop, given as a present along with my cut-throat razor. I came across this thread trying to do my own research. This is what I've found so far:
    Cyril R Salter is the trader, not the manufacturer.
    Herold Solingen is the manufacturer. Their website (herold-solingen.de) is currently under construction, and there are no useful clues there.
    The retail site that gives the fullest description I can find is: (sorry, can't post with a link, as I'm new on this forum, but it is on a German site scharferladen.de).
    The German I learned years ago suggests that the stone is Thuringen slate that is approximately 8000 grit. It says it is to be used dry or with water (but not oil). No mention is made of paste.
    Mine came with yellow and red paste. Assuming Herold paste is the same as Dovo paste, then the yellow is leather care, and the red is 2-4micron. I read somewhere that 8000 grit is approximately equivalent to 3micron paste.

My razor came shave ready, and is doing fine on leather stropping for now. But when the time comes, should I use the red paste with the slate stone?

My continuing research will hopefully uncover the Herold paste grit sizes, and if Thuringen slate is anything to get excited about.
    Out of interest, the leather is imprinted with "Juchten", which translates as Russian leather (which is a method of leather processing).

twhite and Keithmax like this.
  6. StroppyDog

StroppyDog New Member

I have now established that Herold and Dovo paste colours have the same meaning (green is coarsest at 5-8microns, through red to black the finest at 1-3micron. White and yellow are for linen and leather respectively.)
    I have also discovered that Thuringen slate is the dog's bollox, and that I seem to have got a quality little paddle here.
    Finally, I was wrong in my post above: the paddle came with green and yellow paste. I can't see how I'd use the paste with the paddle. I could set up a different green strop, and progress from the green strop, to the slate, to the leather, but it seems odd to have the green paste supplied with the paddle.

twhite and Keithmax like this.
  7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Thank you for sharing the research. Sounds like a nice strop you have there.

twhite and Billyfergie like this.
  8. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Okay here is what I know ...

The stone was in the past when it was rated was called a 3000 grit ABOUT
    The pastes are used on a strop, and they will PERMEATE the strop so it cannot be used for everyday stropping once you paste it
    The yellow paste is a Conditioner and has no grit value use it SPARINGLY

A paddle strop is a great pasted surface so that would not be a bad idea once you move to a hanging strop with Linen/Leather

DaltonGang and Billyfergie like this.