D/E BLADES.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DANNYMC, Jul 6, 2008.

1. DANNYMC

DANNYMC New Member

Can anyone tell me how many shaves you can expect to get from a D/E blade?

2. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Welcome to The Shave Den, Danny! Unfortunately, there are just too many variables to give an accurate answer to that question. The coarseness of your beard for one thing. But beyond that, all brands of blades seem not to be created equal.

Some say they can get only 1-2 shaves from some blades, 3-4 from others. Most don't seem to last more than that, though I've been known to get a week out of a Feather. I usually don't try though because blades are generally pretty cheap and it's not worth the risk of a hack job if I try to go to far.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

3. Padron

Padron Active Member

Welcome to The Shave Den!! :happy005

I would say anywhere from 3-6 or so...really depends on the blade and how thick / coarse your beard is.

Good thing is they are pretty cheap compared to some of the cartridge blades so after a couple shaves you can toss the blade and grab a new one if needed... :)

I sometimes forget to change mine :o, and have gotten 7 shaves out of a feather :eek: :eek:.....that would really be pushing it though....

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den, Danny!

Michael and Neale seem to have the question covered, so I'll just add...........

Don't miss out on the Newbie Give-Away! :happy088

5. Lionhearted

Lionhearted New Member

Welcome to The Shave Den!

As already stated, blade life is a very individual matter. With most brands of blades, I get 6-8 comfortable shaves. With a few brands I get only 3-4 and with a couple of brands I get 12-14. I have a fairly heavy beard and use more "aggressive" razors but I usually make only two passes.

Back in the early 60's when DE blade usage was the norm, a Gillette research study found that a stainless blade, on average, was used for twelve days. Today's shaving forum members are much quicker to discard blades than those who never used any other method of shaving. My father (1892-1988) had a much lighter beard than I and after stainless blades came out he changed his blade only once a month. He also took the blade out and blotted it dry after each shave. During World War II when blades weren't available to civilians he shaved for over a year with the same DE blue blade by stropping it first on glass then on leather before each shave.

Don't count days — just use a blade until it starts tugging and leaves stubble.

Richard

6. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Welcome!

I agree with Richard, I can get [at least] 6-8 good shaves out of a blade, while I rarely use them that much. I use them for 1 or 2 shaves. Why, you might ask? It started when the roatation of my razors grew too large, I lost track of how many times I had used the blade in each razor so I started changing blade most every shave...

7. DANNYMC

DANNYMC New Member

Thanks everyone. I tend to get 3-4 shaves from every blade.

8. Will

Will Nevermind

Welcome Aboard!

I have nothing to add to the question. :ashamed001

9. Hello Danny,

You can check out the reviews on this forum, but you need to try the blades your self in order to get a more accurate answer.

Join the newbie give away :).

Dark

10. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

I replace my IPs once a week. I might be able to go longer, but why push it when DE blades are so dang cheap anyway?

11. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

12. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

13. ColbyPants

ColbyPants New Member

I get about a week out of both Derby and Feather Blades.

14. VetsJetsnGuns

VetsJetsnGuns Need love... will pay.

I got 30 different kinds of blades in the drawer. I don't have the patience to do more than about 3 shaves before I'm anxious to try another one...