Dang you, Feather!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Knox, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

They didn't bleed long at all. Not much pain, either

2. Ouch! What razor did you use?

3. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

My trusty 1974 Super Speed.

Robyflexx likes this.
  4. I've always had good luck with the feathers with minimal pressure. What's great about DE Shaving is there are so many different blades to choose from and a perfect blade out there for everyone.

5. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

The last time I used my Weber with an Astra Blade I looked almost like that.(I really feel your pain) When I get those (nicks & weepers) It's more of a "Practice of Blood Letting" I got a Gillette Fusion Pro-Glide W/ Flex-Ball . (I got it for free). Any way my Nicks and Weepers were caused by my problem with my hands going numb. I have not had any Nicks or Weepers since.

mrchick, blashe and Robyflexx like this.
  6. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Oof...

PatrickA51 and Robyflexx like this.
  7. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Although I've never looked that bad, feathers pretty much do the same thing to me. They just plain HURT!! I quit useing them and NEVER miss them! :happy097:
    Have you ever tried a Vikings Sword? There made in the Personna plant in Israel.

PatrickA51 and Robyflexx like this.
  8. simms623

simms623 Well-Known Member

I can't use Feathers either. They leave me with too much irritation. I was pretty bummed, no nicks or weepers just an awesome feeling two pass shave. A few hours later all sorts of irritation on my neck.

9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

You might think about using a good aftershave, because all your cuts look infected. You might start treating those cuts with some polysporin asap.

I've used Feathers for a couple of years, and have only nicked myself a couple of times. Short light strokes, that's how I do it.

wristwatchb, mrchick and Robyflexx like this.
  10. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Once I got the bleeding to calm down with cold water, I ran an alum block. Then rinsed again, then some Pinaud. Rinsed again, then some Ice Blue Aqua Velva. A few more rinses with cold water and I was right as rain.

As of now, (8 hours later, give or take) you can barely even see irritation. I won't shave again until Monday, though, just to give my neck a rest.

[​IMG]

11. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Looks good now. That was a pretty scary first photo.
    I love Feathers, but they will let you know if you do the least thing wrong.

mrchick likes this.
  12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Whoa. I am sorry to see this. I have to ask, how can your technique with a Derby be exactly the same as with the Feather and this be the result? As a self-professed aggressive shaver, do you apply as much pressure as you do with a cart?

twhite and mrchick like this.
  13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I see you answered my question in an earlier post. Please disregard my prior post.

14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

What I saw in the first photo was the effect of the blade bevel scraping the skin. This is generally caused by using too steep of an attack angle. Making sure the door of the razor stays in contact with your face as you shave. This will set the attack angle low, and prevent the blade from exfoliating too deeply and scraping you up. Glad it's all good now. Good luck next time out!

15. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Interesting. When you say the "door", do you mean the top of the Super Speed as opposed to the guard at the base? I may be misunderstanding your description. If I kept the door touching, wouldn't the angle be steeper?

I am very open to learning and improving, so thank you for helping me out!

wristwatchb, mrchick and Bama Samurai like this.
  16. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5ยข

They wouldn't infect that quickly. They just look inflamed. The next day photo looks almost healed so I wouldn't be concerned.

wristwatchb, mrchick and Bama Samurai like this.
  17. Bama Samurai

Yes. That's exactly what I am describing. Place your razor head against your forearm. Look carefully at the blade. If the razor is resting more toward the guard, the angle is much steeper than if it rests more towards the cap (doors, top).

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  18. Bama Samurai

I agree. Scrapes, inflammation and hard lighting conspire to make it look worse than the reality.

19. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Thanks!

20. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

If someone gets infection just by weepers than weepers is not the problem, but weak inconsistent immune system

Metro likes this.