Dang you, Feather!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Knox, Mar 5, 2016.

1. simms623

simms623 Well-Known Member

Good to hear! I have some feathers on the way. My first experience wasn't as bad as yours, just a little irritation.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Phone

2. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have 9 months of better technique under you belt. When I first started I was hacking myself with feathers in a red tip. @Bama Samurai suggested a 30 day focus and others recommended swapping blades to Astra. Months later, now my 30 day focus is an Aristocrat with feather blades and so far, smooth as silk with near BBS shaves. Ends up for me, the issue was not the blade, but the technique.

3. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Yep - If my technique hasn't improved in 9 months, I might as well ask for a Norelco for Christmas LOL

wristwatchb and Bama Samurai like this.
  4. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

It's funny you say that. Years ago, my parents gave me an electric razor for Christmas. The instructions said that it could take 1mo to 6 weeks for your skin to "adjust" to the shave. After 6 weeks of daily razor burn, I chucked it into the garbage.

Terry Williams and Bama Samurai like this.
  5. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

The first time I used a Feather, it felt like a match made in heaven. It gave me one of my closest and smoothest shaves ever. I still have one more left in my sample pack and I can't wait to go back and use it again.

I'm always a bit surprised when people say that they don't like Feathers. I know that mileage varies considerably when it comes to blades but I always thought that sharper blades were preferable no matter what, and Feathers seem to be the sharpest around.

6. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I'm using Feathers in my Gillette 195 this month. Working well so far.

7. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Glad to hear the "after" story. The "before" story looked painful as hell. Sorta looked like what happened the first time I shaved with a DE razor. I've had success with Feather's 'cause I really concentrate when I use 'em, plus my technique has gotten MUCH better!

wristwatchb and Bama Samurai like this.
  8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Glad it's better! Feather has a reputation as a "day-two" blade, meaning many people like it better on day two as it feels smoother.

wristwatchb likes this.
  9. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Congrats on the improvements in your technique! Consider joining the 30 day focus. It's a great place to further refine your technique and have some fun. There's a core group of guys that have stuck together for many months over there. By now, they either have solid technique, or they're slow learners. You can decide for yourself. :) And there's no extra charge for the shenanigans and group hugs.

I started DE shaving exclusively with Feather blades after using an electric razor for 30 years. It was a steep learning curve for me (took 6-9 months), but I now consistently get great (close, blood-free and irritation-free) shaves with them. This is just another data point - YMMV. :)

Knox and clint64 like this.
  10. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I also use them with success but with no pressure - I mean none. I also use NP (need) with Kai and Gillette Yellow. Hey. Have you tried another razor with a reputation for mildness?

11. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I use the Feather blades occasionally and my only beef is that it feels harsher than other blades initial but it smooths right out . Not my favorite but pretty good overall.

12. matteob

matteob Active Member

I had the same result. YMMV as is said countlessly but I have sensitive skin and I found Feathers both as rough as a bear's butt and vicious with it. They are not a patch on the best Russian blades for me: once bitten twice shy. I chucked the rest of the tuck of 5 (free with a Edwin Jagger DE89) in the trash.

I don't know what you mean by "aggressive shaver" but if you go at shaving like a bull at a gate you are asking for problema IMHO.

13. DRIVER_B

DRIVER_B Member

I find GSB nearly as sharp as feathers and a lot sharper than Astra and certainly Derby. GSB or Platinum (not as sharp) is the best combo of sharpness and comfort I have found.

R41+Bulldog

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

14. DRIVER_B

DRIVER_B Member

It can indeed, as well as ingrown hair depending on the aggressiveness of your set up. That is why straight shavers are taught from the beginning not to stretch the skin (only flatten).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

15. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Focus shave maybe?