Dating a Gem "1912"

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by rmcintyre84, Nov 18, 2013.

1. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

Is there any way to date a Gem "1912" razor? I picked one up this weekend, and it cleaned up quite well. There doesn't seem to be any info on it that would allow me to determine the year it was made. I appreciate your help.

2. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

Gem junior "1912" from 1912 till late 20's. That's about as close as you can get.

3. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

ASR didn't date code their razors like Gillette did, but their handles, and sometimes the wording that is stamped on them, can be used to place them in a general time frame. A picture or two would help.

4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Well, I guess if you're into Extreme Cougars, candy and flowers is a place to start. But, liquor is quicker. :innocent

5. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

That's right folks he is here all week:happy097:

richgem likes this.
  6. rmcintyre84

I'm glad someone saw the humor! I almost titled the thread, "Dating a Gem . . . 1912 (Get It?)." "Extreme cougars" . . . funny.

richgem likes this.
  7. rmcintyre84

Here's a few photos.

100_4611-001.JPG 100_4618.JPG 100_4619.JPG

Bird Lives, 178-bplatoon and richgem like this.
  8. HoosierTrooper

That handle started showing up in catalogs around 1927 or so.

richgem likes this.
  9. rmcintyre84

Thanks Tom.

10. rmcintyre84

From what I can find on the net, the 1912 was made into the 40's. I've also seen people writing about different variations, esp. the "Jr." Any idea which version mine might be?

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

The "Jr" will have "Junior" stamped right onto the razor.

12. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

If you'd ever like to try your "1912" Gem or EverReady with a DE handle for a change of weight and/or length you can use a 10/32 set screw as a "double male" to make the handle/head connection...This won't work on a Damaskene 1912 as the thread size is different...:)

13. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

14. HoosierTrooper

The first model to use the Junior wording was the 1906 Gem Junior, and it is believed that it was used to designate the models that used the new wafer style, rib back blade instead of the previously used wedge blade. I have no idea why they started calling some of the 1912 style razors "Junior" well into the 20's, 30's and maybe even the 40's when all of the SE's being sold by then used the modern style blade. I have identical 1912's that some say Junior and others don't.

The center and right one are identical except for the finish, one's a Junior the other isn't. The Junior on the left has a different handle and the thumb tab is smooth instead of indented, but the rest of the frame is identical to the other two. No rhyme or reason why they called some Juniors.

[​IMG]

The 1912's like yours were sold in various sets that were priced based on how fancy the case was, and what came with it such as blade holders, etc. Some had smaller frames and handles but they are all basically the same razor.

Jim99 likes this.
  15. rmcintyre84

Thanks for the input, everyone. I think I'm enjoying learning new facts and history as much as I'm enjoying learning a new way to shave.

richgem likes this.
  16. rmcintyre84

17. richgem

All the cool kids show up there at least once in a while. ;)

Bird Lives likes this.
  18. Bird Lives

;) By all means...welcome to the party....and I believe Rich is spot on on this one....The Single Edge Parallel Shaving Universe is simply too cool for school....

19. richgem

I have to revise my original suggestions. I'm told that expensive jewelry is the way to go these days. <sigh>

20. Bird Lives

You mean it takes some Gems to date a Gem ?? ...With all the smooth talkers around here....I wouldn't think that would be nessesary....:happy097: