Dating chart for your GEM/Ever-Ready/Star razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Mar 1, 2014.

1. chrisgeeo

chrisgeeo Well-Known Member

Nice! Thanks for all the info! Can't wait to give it a go! Just grabbed some gem stainless blades for it today

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

twhite likes this.
  2. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

What happened to @Darkbulb, did he get the boot?

Jorvaljr likes this.
  3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Will be great to see what you think of it!!

chrisgeeo likes this.
  4. chrisgeeo

Well, I had a shave with it tonight. Have to sadly say while I love the look and style of it, I'm not a fan. Maybe it was the blade(gem stainless). Maybe it's the angle. But comparing it to my favorite razor (fat boy set at 3) I'm just not impressed. After 3 passes, im left to finish up with my regular razor. I really wanted to be in love with it! It's such a cool looking razor and feels great in the hand.

5. chrisgeeo

I'm not giving up just yet on it though. I'm going to give it another couple shaves and see how it goes

6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Featherweight is a very mild razor so by definition requires real attention to angle and probably more work then some like to get beyond DFS. My least favorite SE.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

chrisgeeo likes this.
  7. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

I have a 1914 Ever Ready Patent Pending for some time. I take it out for a Sunday drive a few times a year. It is one of the loudest razors I have, almost a loud as a extra hollow German Straight. Dont know if it the different design of the spring or hold down plate, but you know when it's out

IMG_0950.JPG IMG_0951.JPG

Jim99 likes this.
  8. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

The Ever Ready 1914 is one of the finest SEs ever made IMHO.

9. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more wholeheartedly, @Jim99 .

The 1914 is an absolute blast to use and is wickedly efficient. Audible feedback definitely lets you know it's mowing thru the whiskers.

@chrisgeeo don't give up too quickly on SEs. Once I locked down the angle and technique, which took the better part of a year, I use SEs over DEs 4:1 and get amazing results.

Also, SO many cool vintage SEs to test out.

chrisgeeo and Jim99 like this.
  10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Does that GEM blade say GEM on the spine???

chrisgeeo likes this.
  11. chrisgeeo

Yes it does. Says GEM on one side and Stainless on the other. [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Those stainless blades are always rough the first couple of shaves to me. A carbon blade is usually smoother. Could be your issue.

13. chrisgeeo

I'm really leaning towards it's my execution. I just didn't get a close shave with it. After 3 passes I still had a less than BBS shave.

14. chrisgeeo

I love the look and feel of them for sure @pisces_0 .

15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The angle is easy. Basically run it flat on the cap. If you lift it any it should not be much.

chrisgeeo likes this.
  16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

This is how I do it. This is a G bar(heavy flat top) the head is about the same as the FW.

chrisgeeo likes this.
  17. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

@chrisgeeo , can you post a closeup of the razor head with a blade in it? These razors shouldn’t be an issue if everything is aligned right. I wonder if the safety bar is bent just a bit.

18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yup.

19. chrisgeeo

Don't think that's the problem. It looks all good to me. But I have been wrong before. Just ask my wifey! LoL [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

20. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

Looks nuts-on to me.

Run that thing identical to the vid posted by @wchnu (Fuzzy) and you should start to see some improving results. The HFT and Featherweight are nice mild steps into SE shaving.

chrisgeeo likes this.