DE Blade Challenge

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by GDCarrington, Aug 20, 2011.

1. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

For some time now I have been testing DE blades in a semi-controlled test.

Be warned, this is a very long read and it is in my web page for easier viewing and presentation.
    There is some controversy whenever you publish something like this, but I hope it provides some insight into why I have been reviewing other products after July 24, 2011 and I also hope that it can render something useful for you the reader.

Thanks,
    GD Carrington

https://sites.google.com/site/gdcarrington1/home/de

Doryferon, dinatali, fatkid and 6 others like this.
  2. Tforc

Tforc Member

nice test bravo

GDCarrington likes this.
  3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Thanks!

4. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Very thorough and informative, thanks! :happy088:

5. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

Indeed very thorough and exhaustive test. Well done and thank you fo sharing, GD Carrington! :happy088: Good stuff!

6. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Nice work, and I will echo it again, you really should join the Article Team!

7. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

Well done Professor Carrington.

8. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Very thorough presentation, thank you very much!

Ditto.

9. Nick A

Nick A Active Member

All these blades out there, and here I am just using the generics I bought at the grocery store. I get a decent shave, I should stick to them for now, especially since I just started all this. Very informative read. Thank you for sharing.

GDCarrington likes this.
  10. Mechguy

Mechguy Well-Known Member

Very enjoyable read. I really like how you laid out the test and criteria beforehand. Very impressive, thank you for sharing.

11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Remember that before you go into collecting like many of us have, use some sampler packs when you make your blade upgrade. We have a good 3 blade sampler in our store and that is quantity wise enough to try but not enough to have too many leftovers that you don't want.

Thanks to everyone for the read!

12. Nick A

Nick A Active Member

I already had my eye on that pack. I was planning to get it some time before the generics I bought ran out.

13. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Fine read, good work.:happy096:

14. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Excellent work GDC! :happy096:

15. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Great test...This is a serious piece of work....I know it wasn't easy to maintain that kind of discipline...
    Very Cool...This should be required reading at the Shave Academy....I know I'm gonna want to keep this around for future study.
    Thanks and congratulations on a job well done. :happy096:

GDCarrington likes this.
  16. Codfish

Codfish Member

Fascinating and very well done. Will you continue the testing? I hope to see your findings with Russian Perma-Sharps and Presonna Meds and Labs.
    Well done! :happy096:

GDCarrington likes this.
  17. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Thanks for the positive feedback. I did this for myself at first and then when I compiled the data, I realized that we fool ourselves into believing that we develop preferences due to intuition and experience as we go along. The testing revealed that when you really compare things in a disciplined fashion, what you thought would not be good turned out to be better than expected. One of them I failed to mention was the Gillette Goal. That one surprised me for being a low cost blade, but overall it outperformed some of the heavy weights when you throw in price and availability into the mix. The study was much more interesting once the data was compiled than when it was being created. Especially when the ADs for other incoming products that were sitting on the shelf stayed on the shelf.

18. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

No Jim, I will not be continuing this test because after about 20 blades I really begin to want to use and review other products. This is a very restrictive test. Now maybe six months from now I might be interested, but I would also have to be interested in using the Godrej/Bump Fighter mix again. Even though it really is a great combination, I want to use a few more soaps and creams.
    However, if you have skin irritations on shaving, I would not hesitate to recommend this because it allows the Bump Patrol which is one of the best gels to be used with a brush.

19. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

This has been updated due to two small summation errors that slightly changed the results but did not affect the top 80% ranking. Proof reading does help.

20. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

sweet, glad to see the Bolzano on the list, it currently sits as king of the shave throne in my opinion. Sharp as Feathers, but longest lasting blade I've used.
    It's not my daily blade, but it's my special occasion blade.
    That said, I do love Feathers, but they're definitely one-hit wonders. If I have it in a mild shaver, like a Krona, I can get 3 shaves out of it, but that's it.
    I managed 7 from a Bolzano on several occasions, and once I hit 9 or 10, can't remember for sure.

Great work!