De Blades

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Joachim, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Joachim

Joachim Well-Known Member

I like to know what de blades you guys youse and how many shaves you get with one blade??

I youse muhle, Wilkinson sword black, feather, perma sharp, astra. And my half blade are derby green box.
    i get around 3 shaves with 1 blade.

Bobcat and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

The longer I shave the better blade life seems to get. Currently using 7 oclock yellows I easily get 7 or 8 (3 pass) shaves. I could probably stretch it further but for the price of blades why bother.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Joachim, Bobcat and BigMark83 like this.
  3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

The hubby & I both use Feather blades. He gets 3-4 shaves per blade.

Joachim and Bobcat like this.
  4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

It will vary wildly from one person to another. I'll get 5 good shaves out of an Astra and Personna blade, but others will get more or less. @Jayaruh once got almost 40 shaves from one blade. Go figure!

5. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I've gotten three or four before, but now I just toss 'em after two shaves.

Joachim likes this.
  6. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Currently, my favorite DE blade is Wilkinson Sword, but I use (and like) Personna Reds, Personna Blues, and Derbys. Most of the time, I will get up to 5 or 6 shaves per blade.

7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

2 shaves no matter what blade. Comfort over frugal.
    Polsilver SI
    Personna Lab Blue
    GSB
    And many more...

jmudrick, Zykris and Joachim like this.
  8. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I don't use any blade I can't get at least four excellent shaves from. Some I get seven to 14 shaves from. A couple of vintage blades I have will easily go 30 days. I have a medium beard.

Guaranteed 4 Shaves (for me)
    :
    Gillette Silver Blue
    Gillette Platinum
    Gillette 7 O’Clock Green Super Stainless
    Gillette 7 O’Clock Blue Super Platinum
    Rapira Platinum Lux
    Rapira Swedish Supersteel
    Perma-Sharp Super
    Viking's Sword (Israeli Personna)
    Asco Super Stainless-Red Box

Guaranteed 7 Shaves (for me):
    Personna Med Prep
    Gillette “Spoiler” Super Stainless-1970’s-Vintage
    Gillette Platinum Plus-1970’s-Vintage
    Schick Plus Platinum-Vintage

Guaranteed 30 Shaves (for me):
    Personna 74 Tungsten-Vintage
    Wilkinson Sword 70’s Light Brigade NEW Chromium-Vintage

As always, YMMV..............

Zykris, Joachim and Robyflexx like this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I generally like Flares, Techs and Fat Boys. From most blades I get 3 to 8 shaves, but with Polsivers I can get 15 to 18 shaves per blade.

10. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

For DE, I use Cromas, Timors or Wilkinson Swords (the German made ones). I normally get 3 shaves out of them. For me, its not so much that they get dull as it is that they start to rust.

Joachim likes this.
  11. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Personna Med Prep - 30 to 60
    German Wilkinsons - 30 to 60
    Astra SS or SP - 20 to 45
    Feather - 8 to 15

Most blades don't smooth out until 3 to 5 shaves, some take at least ten, Personnas and Wilkinsons get buttery smooth after 10 and stay that way for a while.

Joachim likes this.
  12. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Dip the razor head in alcohol.

13. Joachim

Joachim Well-Known Member

Thanks for the many interesting answer. But i got a really rough beard.i think the best blade i can use is muhle.i have never cut myself with that blade..

14. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Shave week lasts Sunday to Friday.
    Then it's off to the bin.

Joachim likes this.
  15. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Ive considered that as the alcohol displaces the water and would prevent rust but by the 3rd shave when it starts to rust, the blade is to the point where the performance is starting to diminish and with how cheap DE blades are, I see no reason not to just replace the blade.

Joachim likes this.
  16. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I use all kinds of DE blades. I tend to change blades after the 5th or 7th shave. However, the last longevity test I did, I used one Personna for 46 shaves. I have it set aside in its wrapper and may revisit it at a later date.
    [​IMG]

IMG_5041.JPG

Joachim and sdguero like this.
  17. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

After trying around 90 different blades, I mostly use Gillette Rubie and occasionally Perma Sharp.

18. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I alternate among three different blades: Derby Extra, Gillette Silver Blue and Astra SP. They are all excellent blades. I have never tested their maximum shave limits because I change my blades every Sunday whether I have had 5 or 7 shaves. Lately I have been using Derby Extra a lot. I recently purchased 100. Very nice blade...sharp and smooth.

19. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

The difference in blades are one of the more interesting aspects of this hobby, therefore I vary a lot. Especially since the quality of the blade also varies from razor to razor. One example is the now discontinued Iridium Super blade.

When I first purchased this I found it to be slightly sharp, but also pretty rough. Not a blade that deserved a top 5 place in my rotation.
    After a few years with the occasional shave I loaded a blade in an old Gillette Ball End Tech and experienced a balance in the force. The result was so good that I continued using the same blade through the No Variation November of 2015 and if memory serve I used it until the end of the year and beyond. When I decided to replace it, it was just to see if it had degraded so slowly that I hadn't noticed. But I was proven wrong when the new blade (Astra) was no better than my much used Iridium Super blade.

At the moment I vary between the GSP, Astra, Polsilver Super Iridium; Wizamet Polsilver and of course the above mentioned Iridium Super. I only use the latter in the periods where I only shave for necessity and not for fun.
    I get between 4-6 shaves from each blade

I have just ordered the Derby Prime, Dorco Platinum and Super-Max Blue Diamond Platinum blades to expand my razor sharp horizon.

20. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I'm using Tian Li blades from China, typically now for two beard and head shaves (equivalent to maybe six face shaves). They do as well for me as my former favorite Perma Sharp at less than a third of the cost (under $4/100).

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk