DE (or SE) Blade availability - in Australia

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Peter Cupitt, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Peter Cupitt

Peter Cupitt robe-wearing whale shaver

Hi all, I have been casually looking around the Albury/Wodonga area (Large Rural "City" In Australia, on the border of New South Wales and Victoria) at every local chemist (Drug Store) and supermarket to see who carries Double and Single Edged blades. I have found almost no one with the following exceptions;
    Three supermarkets and one chemist had a standard 10 pack of Wilkinson Sword DE blades for between $10 and $15 !!!!!!!!!!!! Are you believing this????? I just bought a HUNDRED Dorco blades online for $7.95 and can buy 50 - 100 of almost any kind of blades online for less than $20.
    What is the availability like in your area??
    Incidentally, as a relative newbie on the site, I really am liking the Dorco blades and regularly use a Merkur 26C, A 1930s Gillette ball end Tech and a Weishi Black Chrome TTO (Also have some new &old Straights and a Bluebeards Shavette). I am surprised how much I like the Weishi actually. This covers a Two Piece, Three Piece, TTO, Single Edge, Straight and Shavette, so I think I just need and adjustable before I calm down a bit.
    I just received the 1912s Star in the mail with a Gem blade so I have to rush off and start hacking away madly.............. I'll post back if I survive :eatdrink013:

2. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Ya I believe it..we've had a similar Wilky scam up here in Canada at the local pharmacy's for decades..11$ for ten blades. These days the DE situation seems to be on the rise, so if you look around, you might find a small local store that might yield a decent deal on blades. I got pretty close to on line prices for Wilkys I bought in quantity from a local cigar shop, that also sells shaving supplies. And welcome to TSD!...

Peter Cupitt likes this.
  3. Peter Cupitt

Thanks Slipperyjoe, Seems Canada or Australia are not too far different, WE just drifted further LOL.
    Seems I should befriend someone who travels OS quite often, and see if they might be able to get a few "Duty Free" lots of blades each trip to a new location ????

4. Laurie Rosati

Laurie Rosati New Member

I'm from Wollongong and buy everything online. However I was talking about this with my barber and he can do 200 Feather blades for $50 which is quite good.
    What do you think of the Shaver Shop?

Peter Cupitt likes this.
  5. Peter Cupitt

That sounds pretty good really. I seem to read everywhere that Feathers are" too" sharp but if you are shaving correctly the only thing the razor is going to cut is the hairs sticking up in its way. I should hit up a local barber and see what treasures they may be able to get their hands on. IF by the Shaver Shop you meant www.theshavershop.com.au , then it is not really "Old School" friendly and I did not find any DE or SE Razors or blades. I am really trying to distance myself from the multi-blade universe. It does look like a good site for some though:) NOW, if you meant the Shave Shed www.theshaveshed.com.au, that is MY kind of place.:sport026:

6. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

The availability locally here is next to nothing. I can get some obscure Gillette Blue that I cant find online for the eqv. of 10USD.

Peter Cupitt likes this.
  7. possumbelly

possumbelly Well-Known Member

Bought my SE blades from Connaught's in the UK. Delivers to Australia pretty quickly.

DE blades online from Shave Shed or Men's Biz. I also pop in to the Men's Biz warehouse in Richmond, Melbourne occasionally. Mostly given up looking in the shops for anything useful.

Peter Cupitt likes this.
  8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD Peter........I hope you enjoy it here......:)

Nice kit you have, I really enjoy my 1912 and 1924 SE's...But your still missing a couple: Schick Injector, Valet AutoStrop and Rolls Razor...
    WOW those are some crazy prices for DE blades....What are shipping costs to AU like? Shipping is the killer....Locally we mostly have Wilkinson, store branded Personna and store branded Dorco around here(Louisiana, USA)...I order most all of my blades from Amazon,razorbladesandmore or other ebay dealers..There is a seller called "Liorfe" on ebay selling Viking Sword blades(made in Personna factory), at a really good bulk price, that I'm finding work really well for me..

Hate to tell you this,but you may as well start ruling the world now, because once RAD hits,your initial collection will never be complete, there will always be another razor to buy..:happy097:

Peter Cupitt likes this.
  9. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

It is pretty much the same in California as in Louisiana. Most chain drugstores carry store branded double edge blades, usually Personna / American Safety Razor, and also Wilkinson and Korean (Dorco?). The Art of Shaving stores sell Gillette branded blades, and some of the local cutlery stores sell Merkurs. Even smaller independently owned stores usually have double edge blades, as do most supermarkets. A typical prices is around $7-$8 for a pack of ten blades.

I usually buy online because the selection is much better and the prices are less expensive.

10. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

Please don't complain down there in Australia
    There is an Omega brush available only for your country
    You are lucky !

:)

11. Peter Cupitt

Hey Doryferon I do think I'm lucky now you tell me that, but down here would it be a "agemO hsurB" :yoda

BTW This looks like a great site :drool: (once I click on translate)

Doryferon and swarden43 like this.
  12. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

Thank you,the photos are step by step to cover the "gap" of the non-english text
    The ebay.com or ebay.au can't help you to find some quality blades ?

13. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

In Canada no different I saw a pack of Wilkinson Sword for $ 14.99 I can get a 100 persona delivered to my door for that :happy097:

14. Peter Cupitt

I can (and I do) buy my blades via ebay.au cause its the only way I CAN get them.
    I also use ebay sellers to find new online courses of all kinds of shaving gear.

15. xeno_basso

xeno_basso New Member

G'day Peter, online is way to go...all those places you mentioned are a good start.
    The online outfits in oz can be frustrating though...how many weeks/months can biz be sold out of Tabac?!?
    Biz had Astra SP's for 20 recently...great all rounder.