DE89 losing plating already

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BigMark, Jan 26, 2015.

1. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I just took my DE89 apart to clean and change the blade and noticed that there is already some plating missing in the center hole where the threaded post feeds through. I can see copper plating and what appears to be black in the center. Not even one month of use, especially since I only shave every day or so.

Boojum1, Sevenbark and GDCarrington like this.
  2. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Welcome to the joy of owning a DE89. Sorry but it's the nature of the beast.

3. BigMark

Garbage.

4. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

It will last you many years. With all due respect while it won't be spectacular any more it is far from garbage. There are other choices and options ranging from $10-several thousand. you have a good shaver even if it looses a touch of plating here or their.

I am not defending shoddy workmanship or materials but for what it is I think it's fair. A tech might have been better.

5. BigMark

I was under the impression that once the plating is compromised the product begins to rot, and quite guickly.

6. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I've heard the same thing. I saw a poll on one of the "other" forums and most people (like 75%) got at least 5 years out of their Zamak razors, some more than 10. Sadly, the other 25% or so lost theirs to corrosion within 1 - 5 years. Like some have mentioned, it's just the nature of the beast. Speaking of the beast, that is Zamak as well, but at less than $25 for just the head, is it really a huge problem if you need to replace it once or twice in your lifetime?

7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

The same thing happened to me.
    I contacted Edwin Jagger and sent a photo.
    Within a few weeks I had a package in the mail - free of charge - with a replacement head (which was the part that was losing plating), some soap samples and a nice hand written letter.

Make sure you contact their repairs department directly at Repairs@edwinjagger.com and attach a photo or two if you can.

8. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I think my muhle r89 is loosing some plating too. Maybe I should contact them. But I remember I bought it through Amazon. Does that disqualify a replacement?

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I doubt it would matter. I bought my EJ razor through a US based vendor.
    Worth giving a try.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  10. michaelAD

michaelAD Well-Known Member

Give EJ the chance to make it right for you. In my experiences most companies try and do their best to satisfy customers. I haven't any plate loss with my EJ. I've had it more than a year and it was a daily driver for about 10 months. Good luck.

Boojum1 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  11. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I'm not sure where I had plate loss. Maybe it is on the part that screws into the handle. I don't think there is a way to keep that from happening

12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Contact EJ on this. They have taken plating issue very seriously from what I have gathered from others who have gone through this.

Boojum1 likes this.
  13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Wet shaving is back! The big manufacturers do not want this type of thing to spread around the shaving forums like wildfire. Like @Darkbulb said, send an email, they will fix this. My Edwin Jagger DE89 is perfectly fine.

Omelmad likes this.
  14. BigMark

No., but I would like it to last at least 5 years.

15. BigMark

Garret no offense but I can get a whole razor for just under $30 on amazon. I also knew it would eventually have to be replaced, but not this soon. I plan on contacting them.

Boojum1 likes this.
  16. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

None taken. I'm not saying I like it or I'm ok with it, but that particular razor really is unique, so I'm stuck dealing with it.

17. BigMark

I took a picture, as terrible as my phone can, and emailed them. Hopefully they will take care of this.

Darkbulb likes this.
  18. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up, So far my EJ is in fine condition. Hopefully it stays that way

19. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Do let us know what they say.
    You could even send them a link to this thread ;)

BigMark likes this.
  20. BigMark

Should I really take my DE89 apart after every shave and clean it? If so this is a bit excessive. Or would an alcohol dip suffice?