DE89/R89 equivalent

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tuxxdk, Jul 24, 2017.

1. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Yo :)

I'm getting weirdly satisfying shaves with my DE89 paired with a Perma-Sharp Super blade. It got me thinking - what options are on the market for a non-zamak alternative? With alternative I specifically mean (almost) a copy of the head, not just a closed comb with the same gap :)

I initially thought of the MJ-90 from RazoRock, but people around the web are too frustrated with it for being way way WAY too mild, not capable of even a good DFS. Had it been one person only, I'd chalk it up to minor quibbles, but this is like 9/10 who's unhappy with it.

Any good ideas out there?

2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

When I first used a DE89, it came with a pretty lightweight handle. It really didn't give me the shaves I liked, so I just put it away. After some time, I paired the head with a heavy custom handle which I got from @Herm2502 that had a Maggard OC head. I'll tell you, it made a world of difference in shaving, much closer and smoother. Now it's in my daily rotation and gives consistent BBS shaves. Maybe that's the reason why the MJ-90 seems so mild, an aluminum head and titanium handle. Just my opinion.......

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    Jayaruh likes this.
  3. Nate.H01

Nate.H01 Member

Apparently Edwin Jagger will be releasing their new stainless steel razor in September. It will be exactly the same dimensions as their DE89 just made out of stainless steel so it might be worth holding off for that.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

RR will be releasing a newer version of the MJ-90 that is more efficient. $7-8?
    Weber is the best 89 style head.

PickledNorthern and PanChango like this.
  5. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I saw something about that on the IB Instagram. I just wish he'd release it with the MJ-90 already. I'd love an aluminum DE89 clone. It's a good razor, but the material could use an upgrade. Customer service @ Edwin Jagger is top notch. I had a plating defect on the bottom cap of the one I owned a few years ago. They mailed me a new one along with a letter I believe and some samples. As soon as that bottom plate is available I'd like to get my hands on one.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

It will happen it takes time for him to get the amount he will need to satisfy everyone's needs.
    Edwin Jagger is a great company, my first DE was the EJDE89, still love it.

BigMark83 likes this.
  7. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I'll await and see what what IB comes up with, with the MJ-90 :) I really want that to succeed.

That sounds really interesting! I was a bit disappointed by Mühles approach with a different head and plated handle on their "stainless steel" razor. Excited to see what EJ comes up with now!

8. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Where did you receive this information ?

9. Nate.H01

Nate.H01 Member

Gail Wells was talking about it on the Wet Shavers Round Table.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk