December 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Nov 30, 2016.

?

What is your most decadent item/product in your collection?

1. A vintage straight razor

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. A modern straight razor

5 vote(s)
    11.4%
  3. A magnificent and hyper-expensive soap

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  4. A magnificent and cheap soap but man does it lather

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. A vintage DE razor

12 vote(s)
    27.3%
  6. A modern DE - Stainless baby

6 vote(s)
    13.6%
  7. An incredibly soft and luxurious brush

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
  8. An incredibly stiff and scritchy brush

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  9. It's all decadent when I use it

7 vote(s)
    15.9%
  10. Seriously, this poll just gets longer all the time. Pass the cookies and let's go.

14 vote(s)
    31.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Shhh, she hasn't asked about it for awhile. :)

2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Uuhm, I guess if you really need one.

3. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

Hey guys - hope it's not too late for me to join in this month ;)

I have decided to focus on my new brush - the Thäter 26mm 2-band I bought Wednesday. I'm going to use it with a variety of soaps and creams (and razors, of course) and try to figure out how it will work best. So it will be a pretty decadent December for me.

Okay - let's get started with today's shave:

[​IMG]

- Chiseled Face "Ghost Town Barber"
    - 26mm Thäter 2-band
    - Feather FII Neo
    - Tüff sensitiv Rasierwasser

Let me begin by stating the obvious: The build quality of this brush is exceptional. Fantastic handle, nice weight, densely packed, soft badger hair - and it has not shed a single one. One thing you have to get used to though: it soaks up water like a camel. I'm not kidding - the wet brush feels twice as heavy as the dry one. So this is will be my main focus point: trying to nail the water management with this brush.

I started my shave with a semi-wet brush. While the Thäter is a lather monster and produced a huge pile for my first pass today, the lather also dissipated pretty quickly. So I started a second attempt, this time with a rather dry brush - and that worked much better. On my face the lather felt a bit sticky first, but after adding small amounts of water little by little it turned into the creamy, yoghurt-like substance I like. and the brush held more than enough lather for two and a half passes.

The Feather Neo is a nice cartridge razor with a swivel head and a twin blade cartridge. Very very smooth but at the same time amazingly efficient. I was able to shave against the grain everywhere, even at my upper lip (which is the most sensitive area of my face, so I normally just shave WTG and XTG there) without any irritation. Absolutely zero AS burn - amazing. And my face and neck feel dolphin-smooth now.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  4. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Very nice start to a good month. I like the brush. :happy088:

5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Congrats on such a beautiful brush. I have always thought Thater brushes are some of the most attractive brushes made. I have the Feather Neo MR3 that I really enjoy. I plan on giving the twin blade cartridges a try.

6. PickledNorthern

Fantastic brush! A Thater sivertip is certainly decadent. I have never used one softer, and when it's coupled with the Ghost Town Barber? Perfect shave.

Thanks for the post.

***Edited to fix typo

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  7. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

SOTN December 1st
    [​IMG]

Cooper MonoBilt
    Lord Platinum Class
    Tabac
    24MM Stirling Synthetic

I was all ready for a very decadent shave last night. Tabac and the Cooper MonoBilt! What could spoil the fun? The Lord platinum class. My first time trying it and to me it was about on par with the Gillette Rubie. It was tuggy, reduction and was awful. This led to much buffing during the final pass and some sting from the Alum. I will bin that blade and look forward to using some decadent Russian Steel for my next shave. Here's to next time :eatdrink047: . Hope you all do better then me today!

wristwatchb, Keithmax, RyX and 8 others like this.
  8. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

Brush Omega 10048
    Soap Stirling Bay Rum
    Razor 1947 Aristocrat
    Blade Feather (2)
    Aftershave - plenty of Pinaud VI Bay Rum

Does it get more decadent than a heaping brush full of thick rich bay rum lather followed by Pinaud VI Bay Rum on your face, neck and chest? I loaded the big boar and spent some time slowly adding water while loading the brush, then whipped that sweet smelling Stirling Bay rum into peaks of yogurty froth. I took a two pass shave slowly and deliberately and ended with a solid DFS. Then that oh so sweet burn of of the Pinaud Bay Rum.... letting me know that I am alive and awake. All my wife had to say was ...mmmm... spicy. Most defiantly decadent.

As an aside, this month, I am focusing on my Aristocrat with Feather blades. I have also been trying a new technique based on another thread here. I am riding the safety bar. For the last two shaves, I have taken the time to be very aware of the blade angle and feedback while shaving and riding the safety bar. I have gotten two very good quality shaves using this technique and unless I start hacking myself will focus on this technique this month. I would have not been able to do this as a beginner without some damage, but with a little finesse, some experience under my belt and some concentration, by the end of this monthly focus, I should be able to render an opinion.

wristwatchb, Keithmax, RyX and 7 others like this.
  9. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

First shave of the month. Not really decedent for me, but wanted to take this latter Cattaraugus razor for a test shave to make sure it is in top condition. Going to send it out to another member so he can try SR shaving! I did finally manage to use up the last of this soap, Barrister & Mann Lime, Lavender & Cedarwood. That made me pretty happy. Three passes on the face, and four on the neck landed me a few whiskers away from a BBS, but with no irritation. Finished off with The Shave Den Iced Yin Yang (Lavender Lime) for a great shave.
    IMG_5187.JPG

wristwatchb, Keithmax, RyX and 9 others like this.
  10. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Your off and running Adam. Have a good weekend and month.

11. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

IMG_4480.JPG

December 2 SOTD:

Stirling Synthetic Brush
    Stubble Trubble Up & Adam Shave Soap
    Gillette Fatboy
    Canoe AS

Shave number 2 with the Fatboy this month, and it was great. I used the Stubble Trubble Up & Adam again this morning, and after two shaves I can tell you, IMO, it is a great soap. The scent of this one is fantastic. It develops a very nice, protective, and very slick lather. The lather is stable and long lasting. I skipped the post shave balm this morning to test out the post shave feel. My skin is soft and smooth. The soap is definitely a keeper. I may have a new entry into my top 5.

I hope everyone has a great day!

wristwatchb, Keithmax, RyX and 9 others like this.
  12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Please put a GSB in that razor.

13. Bama Samurai

Justin probably does, that's what I meant. He was "having a sad" in that song. I'm way too awkward and antisocial for hugging.

14. PickledNorthern

I'm sorry, I didn't actually watch it because, well because it was Justin Bieber.

So we are both clear on there being no man hugging on this thread?

wristwatchb, Keithmax, RyX and 5 others like this.
  15. Bama Samurai

Yeah, let's keep it professional like that.

16. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

The katana and wakizashi sword pair in your sash probably gets in the way...

17. Bama Samurai

Granted. ;)

18. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I think i will play again this month. Not sure how decadent I can be, but I will try.

Here is the shave this morning...

Gillette Flat Bottom Tech Bulldog Handle
    Rapira Platinum Lux (2)
    Semogue BC Mistura
    Arko SS
    Alum
    Superior 70

wristwatchb, Keithmax, RyX and 7 others like this.
  19. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: Gillette Flair Tip A 3 1955
    Blade: Lord Platinum Class (2)
    Brush: El Druida Mopane 2 Band
    Soap: Edwin Jagger Cooling Menthol Cream (Sample)
    Aftershave: Stirling Executive Man

2 12 16.jpg

20. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Well, the Schick Injector I had planned to focus on shows the dreaded "In Transit To Destination" as it has for the past few days with no updates. Arrival date has come and gone, so I am having to punt and play for field position until it arrives. So, I am pressing on and adapting on the fly, and making my focus "Relative Decadence" or "A Poor Man's Druthers".

Today's shaving accoutrements (sorry, no pics because I am on the road and forgot):

-TOBS Eaton College shave cream
    -RazoRock Plissoft Big Bruce (go big or go home)
    -Weck Sextoblade
    -RazoRock German 37 slant for some minor ATG neck touchup
    -Nondescript but fully functional alum block from my local Indian grocer's
    -Clubman Pinaud. I had planned on The Veg but am saving it for the Schick.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

wristwatchb, Keithmax, RyX and 8 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.