December 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Nov 30, 2016.

?

What is your most decadent item/product in your collection?

1. A vintage straight razor

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. A modern straight razor

5 vote(s)
    11.4%
  3. A magnificent and hyper-expensive soap

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  4. A magnificent and cheap soap but man does it lather

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. A vintage DE razor

12 vote(s)
    27.3%
  6. A modern DE - Stainless baby

6 vote(s)
    13.6%
  7. An incredibly soft and luxurious brush

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
  8. An incredibly stiff and scritchy brush

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  9. It's all decadent when I use it

7 vote(s)
    15.9%
  10. Seriously, this poll just gets longer all the time. Pass the cookies and let's go.

14 vote(s)
    31.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Decadent December - Day 2

IMG_1173.JPG

Vintage WILLIAMS! Yep. @RyX is right, this is really good soap...it only comes out once in a while. Great lather, nice blade edge, and two passes later I was feeling great. Used a bit if the TSD 2x Iced Barbershop AS. Snowy, miserable, rare dark day on the prairie. Other than that...All is quiet in Colorado.

Have a superb weekend!
    :)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  2. Bama Samurai

@Boojum1 (Mark) is a 7/5 favorite to retain his title as 30DC Undisputed Photo Decadence Champion.

Norcalnewb, Boojum1, clint64 and 6 others like this.
  3. Bama Samurai

Welcome to December!

4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Decadent December

Cella and Opal #12 boar
    '46-'47 Aristocrat & Voskhod
    Alum, Old Old Spice

SOTD 12022016.gif
    Thought I'd try out some new single edge blades I picked up. Best Choice© proudly distributed by Valu Merchandisers of Kansas City (Made in South Korea) didn't satisfy. I don't care if they are with platinum chrome. Worked just as bad in either my 'Merican or English 1912. I'll try making a 1/2 DE blade holder, or listen for suggestions on something better. These blades will go to my mother to scrape her glass top stove.
    Third choice of hardware fared much better. According to Razor Emporium the post WWII Aristocrat is among the most aggressive versions. I got FatBoy like service from riding the cap. Cella face lathered well using the vintage knot. Making three passes and delivering a DFS, I avoided disturbing my latest shavette scars. A quick alum swipe was cool so I treated my face to vintage OS AS.
    Good Shaves Y'all!

5. Bama Samurai

Very nice example of an Aristocrat!

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  6. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

December 3, 2016
    Mongoose B2 with Triad Ti
    Feather Super Pro (3)
    WDC-8 with Druida Manchurian
    PannaCrema Nuavia Rossa
    Witch Hazel

[​IMG]

The WDC-8 handle is solid brass that feels wonderful in your hand. When paired with the Druida Manchurian knot the combination is one of my favorite brushes. As expected the Rossa was easy to load and lather. Sticking with a 2 pass shave, XTG & ATG, followed by minimal touch ups ended in a near BBS. Overall a great shave and an excellent start to the weekend. I hope everyone has a great Saturday.

Drygulch, NCoxSTL, Linuxguile and 7 others like this.
  7. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:happy096:

8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I just love using this brush. Ever little thing about it makes me smile. :happy088:

Drygulch, RyX, Norcalnewb and 3 others like this.
  9. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Morning gents!

I decided to branch out a little on the blade front. I ordered some Polsilver Super Iridium blades based on their generally favorable reviews. I ordered them from a gent in Bulgaria who is a reputable member on another shaving forum for $0.17 each in Shaveapocalypse quantities.

More to come, but I hope to give the blades a try during Decadent December.

:hooray:

Drygulch, NCoxSTL, Linuxguile and 8 others like this.
  10. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Prediction! You won't be disappointed with those blades Charlie. ;)

Drygulch, clint64, Norcalnewb and 2 others like this.
  11. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I've only used Persona blades in my Gillette Adjustable. I'm going to try a variety of blades in it this month. Late start to the December focus as I just returned from a weeklong trip. I will try out Feather, Voskhod and Rapira. All other things will remain the same. I'm using an Omega silvertip badger brush and a soap jar that has leftovers of the soaps I used over the past 2 years. Aftershaves will be Ogallala Bay Rum and Ogallala Limes & Peppercorns with an occasional use of Avon Spicy.

12. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

It can double as a weapon, in case someone comes through the bathroom window. :happy102:

Drygulch, wristwatchb, RyX and 5 others like this.
  13. wristwatchb

Good morning, Mark, and thank you. I notice you use them also. Have a great Saturday!

14. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Fantastic picture, Mark!

15. wristwatchb

December 3

Feather Artist Club SS Kamisori
    Feather Professional Blade (6th or 7th shave)
    Kent BK8 brush
    Tabac shave stick
    Alum, Thayer's Lavender witch hazel, unrefined shea butter, and Pinaud Clubman aftershave

I skipped yesterday's shave, and I had one of the best two-pass shaves ever with the Feather AC this morning. Unlike several other mornings this week, I took my time, focused, and simply enjoyed the experience. Decadence. I shaved WTG on the first pass, and that eliminated 98% of the beard growth. I touched up more times than I want to admit around my mouth and chin area. I shaved carefully WTG on my upper lip so that I didn't open up the injury from two days ago. I finished up with a nice, easy ATG pass (except for my mouth and chin area). I'm the envy of most babies, although I did leave some bits around the corners of my mouth. No weepers, alum and aftershave were comfortable, and my face feels great. No skin was broken, no paper towels were consumed, and no animals were harmed during this shave; however, I was assisted by a dead badger.

I'll continue using the Pain Stick for a few more days, provided I have the time in the morning per Keith's rule. For some reason, I have trouble using it on XTG passes. For that reason, I'll stick with WTG and ATG strokes.

My Bride and I will join long-time friends this evening to have dinner and check out all the Christmas lights around town. I hope you all have a great weekend.

Decadently yours,
    Danger

Drygulch, NCoxSTL, Linuxguile and 6 others like this.
  16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

This is the smaller handle, the heavier one could do double duty in a Zombie Apocalypse. :happy102:

17. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Just so you know, I bought a 100-pack myself from dcc. He shipped them promptly, they arrived in Canada with reasonable speed, and they are unquestionably the genuine article and not some kind of fakes. I expect you will be quite satisfied with your purchase.

18. wristwatchb

I appreciate the vote of confidence! I was a bit wary at first, but everything seemed to check out OK. You can't beat his prices.

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  19. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

No, as far as I could tell, he's the cheapest reputable option anywhere when you factor in shipping, as long as you are willing to buy in bulk. But then, based on one of his posts, he bought a wholesale pallet of at least 500,000 blades, so he probably got a bit of a quantity discount from the factory himself...

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, RyX and 3 others like this.
  20. wristwatchb

Wow! Now I don't feel so shave apocalyptic. All that Russian treasure stored in one place would be a shaver's Ft. Knox.

1.png

Drygulch, NCoxSTL, Norcalnewb and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.