DECember 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Nov 30, 2017.

?

What would you like to find in your stocking this Christmas?

1. A decadent Gillette Toggle or other rare vintage DE

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. A decadent mint condition SE razor from the early 20th century

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  3. A decadent vintage straight razor, restored to perfection.

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  4. A puck or two of your favorite decadent soap or cream

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  5. A luxurious and decadent High Mountain Badger brush (or your favorite type)

9 vote(s)
    23.7%
  6. A plate of decadent cookies.

12 vote(s)
    31.6%
  7. Anything besides a lump of coal. Because coal isn't decadent. It's just depressing.

21 vote(s)
    55.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Welcome to Decadent December!

The Cartel is proud to welcome you to the December 2017 edition of the 30 Day Rule and Focus Discussion.

If you're new to traditional shaving, or to TSD, WELCOME!!! If you’ve been here awhile you know the drill so jump in and help the new guys get their shave on!

So, what is this thread about? Three things, basically. First and foremost this is a TECHNIQUE focused group. All the fancy and shiny shave toys in the world won’t give you a great shave if you don’t know how to use them. That applies to any type of razor from DE safety razor to injector to traditional straights, kamisori, pain sticks, popsicle stick razors, sharp can lids, binder clip razors and all the rest. Second, it’s a COMMUNITY focused group. Everyone here is supportive of the new people learning, the old timers learning new stuff or just working with a new razor or trying to adjust to fix an issue. We support each other and learn together. Third, it’s about SHENANIGANS. Yep, we sometimes drift off topic around here just because we can and it’s fun. As @Bama_Samurai stated in the inaugural edition back in January 2015, this is an un-hijackable thread. Go ahead. Try and hijack it. I dare you. Can’t be done. Just like this post. I can wander all I want on this thought and it still goes right back where it belongs in the next paragraph. In fact I'll prove it. Still proving it. Beautiful weather tonight if you like a little rain. The Blues are awesome this year. See? Call it magic if you want.

As one of the charter members of this thread, from January 2015, I can attest to the ability of the 30 Day Rule to build basic technique. I can also attest to the ability of the 30 Day Focus to adjust one or more areas of the shave, or to open doors to new methods and tools. This month we celebrate DECADENT DECEMBER! What, you ask, is that? As the final month of the year, and what a year it’s been in many ways, I think we should just plain ENJOY our shaves this month. Even if you’re on a strict Rule you can substitute some after shaves and other products around to really get that luxury thing going. If you’re on a Focus or just shaving along to eat cookies and follow shenanigans, this is your chance to pull out your best most luxurious stuff and spend a month with it. We want to see pictures and hear of you using that antique Double Duck, or the Toggle (then you must immediately send it to me for testing), and that High Mountain Badger brush with the MDC…..get the picture? If your absolute favorite brush is the Omega Pro48 and your best ever lather is Proraso….that’s your DECADENCE! Use it! Share it! Let’s remind ourselves that one of the reasons we do this is to ENJOY IT!!!!! By the time New Year’s Eve rolls around we’ll be ready to tackle the next year no matter what it brings! Got it? And, of course, if you want to do something else while following along…..it’s perfectly fine!

Well, that’s my introduction for the month. So, let’s get down to the usual business. Wondering what the heck a 30 Day Rule or Focus is? Well, let’s let the one, the only, the legendary and mystical @Bama Samurai remind us. Please rise and remove your hats and hold your favorite razor aloft in tribute. We’ll pause for a moment of revered silence.

The 30 Day Rule (designed to build solid technique or learn new technique)

1 brush, 1 soap, 1 brand of blades, 1 razor, 30 Days. The rule is really that simple. It seems boring, but this is probably the most straightforward way to learn for a brand new shaver. This is the exercise that really allowed me to clearly see the interplay between the four elements. It is highly recommended for newly converted shavers and more experienced shavers who have a problem that defies resolution. This exercise eliminates variables and will likely solve any problem you may have, with a strict scientific approach.Any thing that strays from these simple guidelines is not a rule, but rather a focus (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

The 30 Day Focus (more flexible, for exploring and comparing)

This is a less rigorous exercise, designed for exploration and comparison of gear and technique. This is the most common exercise on the thread. Generally the elements are rotated one by one to allow clear observation. Examples of focus areas include brush types, blades, soaps, razor variants, or technique foci as a standalone.

These are the suggested guidelines, and serve as a starting point for the discussion each month. Any thematic elements are up to each individual. We believe that if you've ever sought a great shave, you have something to offer. And if you're searching for great shaves, we will definitely try to help. If you are new to TSD, I believe you've landed in a great place. Everyone here participating would love to answer your questions and help you get the most from your shaving. We are very glad you're here! So, if you're new, stop in for a cookie and meet the crew. The cookie of the month is, of course, Holiday Sugar Cookies! If this is old hat, welcome back, and let's rock another month out!

Rules are the same people.

1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.

2. Old Members always welcome. Ok, ok, middle agers too.
    3. Respect everyone
    4. Follow the rules of the forum
    5. All razor types and styles welcome
    6. Criticize Russian blades, especially Voskhod, at your own peril. The Cartel is listening. And we have spies everywhere. They’re usually passed out drunk, but we get lucky occasionally.
    7. Don't think we don't hear when you badmouth Rapira either. We're vodka loving wannabe Russians, not blithering idiots. Well, ok so sometimes.....and Ivan.....well you get the idea.
    8. You might consider taking it easy on Feathers as well. The Yakuza boys are pretty protective as well, though their leader has been converted by the Russians it seems. Score one for the Motherland!

Let's have some great shaves people! Welcome to DECADENT DECEMBER! Group hug people!

30 day crew portrait.jpg

2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Count me in for Decadent December 2017. I will focus on using some of my lesser used items during the month as well as using some of the new stuff along with the favorites. In other words I plan to have a great time with the daily shaves and hope to take some cool photos along the way.

3. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

I'm in. First time for me in the 30-day rule. Obviously, this is where all of the cool kids hang out. I'm scared and pumped. :kar:

4. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I'll be in. I like @clint64's plan - use various items and enjoy your shaves. I'll use my new razors a little more - G4, Revere, and G-Bar. But otherwise I'm planning on relaxing and enjoyable shaves.

5. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

6. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome aboard. :transport022:

7. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I am in again next month, but not 100% sure of my focus just yet. I am leaning towards a SS focus, but I may hold off one more month. Looking forward to some fun with everyone again.

8. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to the thread! Lots of fun guys who happen to very helpful.

wristwatchb, FaceScraper, RyX and 7 others like this.
  9. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Welcome aboard! This is a great thread to learn things, and just to have fun. What kind of set up are you planning for the month?

This is my 35th consecutive focus. (Some haven't been as involved as others due to time constraints, but I have been on the thread for all of them.) I am planning on keeping my rotation going. I'm to the point where I don't have any soaps I don't really like. I will use my current victim soap RazoRock Lime from 2013, every other shave until it is gone. I saw the bottom of the tub last shave, so it might be getting close. My razors will also be rotated. I am working my way through all my straights, honing and making each one usable before I pack them away again. I have about half my collection to use still, and I started this a couple of months ago. My focus is on irritation free shaves. I have gotten to the point where a three or four pass is doable with a light touch, and I am getting better result with that. There is also a possibility of me giving or accepting a dare for a stupid shaving trick this month.

10. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Sounds like a plan. Always nice to wrap up the year just enjoying it all!

11. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Ummmm.....I believe you mean 36th consecutive focus. Or are you counting the inaugural month as a rule followed by 35 focuses? It's starting to get technical!! I do believe that you might give or take a dare. I've seen you do it. (Felt the results too)

12. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Nothing to be scared of. We don't bite! Ok, so we use extremely sharp and sometimes stupid stuff to attempt to shave, but we're harmless. Mostly. Welcome aboard and here's your official t-shirt!!

cool kids shirt.jpg

13. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Yup, 36th. My math got kind of fuzzy. I'll even try to give a dare to someone besides you, maybe.

14. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I'm going to start this month off with a one of a kind prototype injector, I don't know if it can get more decadent then that. After that I will revisit my RazoRock Baby Smooth and then perhaps my Icon X3. By virtue of trying to titanic a soap sample I will be using Stirling MITA for half of the month. And if they arrive in time to make an appearance I have a couple of big knotted brushes (28mm & 30mm) in bound from China.

15. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

I'm in. I am mostly just going to hang around and shave. For the first part of the month, I am doing @Vlasta's Shave Cream Challenge. I am trying out 12 different Mystery Creams, assessing them in a completely blind test for enjoyability and maybe trying to guess what creams they are.

To keep the test variables limited to the cream, I am using the same hardware throughout. But the razor is my Delta Echo refurbished Black Beauty (now a true jet black beauty all over with red highlights), the brush is my 30DC LE Maple Cashmere, and my lather bowl is a Renaissance Faire style horn quaich. So using it all for a couple weeks straight is pure pleasure.

I have another dozen soap and cream samples of my own sitting around waiting to be tried, so I may just continue enjoying myself trying new things for the rest of the month. I will use whatever brushes and razors I feel like each day though.

Between Jeeves of Hudson Street and Soapy Bathman, I also have several new splashes to enjoy.

Finally, later this month, my Kent BK12 should arrive. If that isn't a Decadent brush then I don’t know what would be.

16. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I'll use my older but pristine straights a couple of times this month, pick out my favorite soaps and creams, but I'll up the decadence ante by breaking out a scuttle or 2 for that ultimate luxury shave.

17. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Welcome to the group! Are you planning a strict rule, or a focus on something in particular?
    No need to be scared until MAYhem...

18. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I'm in. For DEcadent DEcember, I'll focus on a couple not too common vintage razors- a Cooper Monobilt which just came to me via a generous trade with Andrew (@Linuxguile) and my minty #53/58 English Aristocrat Jr. Half the month for each, I think. For soap, I will spend the month plowing through the large number of samples that I have accumulated through purchase or trade. I'll use samples from Catie's Bubbles, Stirling, TOBS, B&M and others. After trying some of my lesser used products last month, I will use some of my favourite Splashes, as well as a few new ones.

19. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

I love the shirt, Neal!

I'm going to focus on my adjustables. I acquired a Ming Shi (aka Futur Clone) last month, but since I was doing head shaves only I didn't use it but one time... and that was an abject failure. One should not try to do a head shave with a unique razor which one has never used before. I'm lucky to be here today! :cool:

Tomorrow, I'm going back to face shaves, :happy036: although I'll let the goatee continue to keep my lovely bride content. So, I'll focus on the Ming Shi for a week, or two weeks and then move on to my other adjustables (a slim, a fat boy, and a Black Beauty). Everything else (blades, brushes, soaps / creams) will be whatever feels right for that day! :happy093:

Dan

20. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I am in for Decadent December. I am kicked it off with a 'big' shave, staring and Omega Pro brush and a M Martinez smiling blade that is a little over 8/8.

Everything seemed to be working in harmony, the Omega and the Tabac worked to make lots of excellent later while the big smiling Martinez blade fresh off the pasted strops was very smooth and very sharp. Started Decadent December with an epic shave.

Irritation A+ Closeness A+ Smoothness A+ Sharpness A

Razor: M Martinez 8+/8
    Stop: SRD
    Brush: Omega Pro
    Pre: Proraso
    Soap: Tabac
    AS: Speick AS, Edwin Jagger
    Scent: Tauer L’Air du Desert Marocain

ID - 1.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.