DECember 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Nov 30, 2017.

?

What would you like to find in your stocking this Christmas?

1. A decadent Gillette Toggle or other rare vintage DE

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. A decadent mint condition SE razor from the early 20th century

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  3. A decadent vintage straight razor, restored to perfection.

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  4. A puck or two of your favorite decadent soap or cream

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  5. A luxurious and decadent High Mountain Badger brush (or your favorite type)

9 vote(s)
    23.7%
  6. A plate of decadent cookies.

12 vote(s)
    31.6%
  7. Anything besides a lump of coal. Because coal isn't decadent. It's just depressing.

21 vote(s)
    55.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Very decadent setup today Doug! The Milord and the Simpson are both stunners. I really like the patina on the razor. I’m guessing that it’s all brass? Was it plated at one time, and the plating wore off?

2. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Well done John! Great photo and lineup!

Your frankensoap, was that just leftovers from full pucks, or an experiment to see how they’d be combined?

3. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

For starters, how about sending each one of us one of your Dad's custom brush handles? We're all still stinging from the news that @jtspartan ain't gonna make us any shave stands. Randy, you could ease our pain!

Either Mar-a-Lago or your place. Just put away the breakables, and we'll keep the damage to a minimum. We'll all wear tights instead of Kilts, so we can have a group Prancercize. Then we can all head out to the front lawn together and take our SOTD photos.

1.jpg

Toggle? What Toggle?

Thanks to smoke and mirrors...and maybe a sheet of strategically placed scrap booking paper.

Seriously, Randy (and I know that's frowned upon here), I'm glad you're part of the 30DC, my friend. :happy088: Send me the cocobolo brush handle please. :happy097:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  4. wristwatchb

Congrats on catching the baby, John! Nice to see The Soap Destroyer in Action. :happy088:

clint64, sdguero, FaceScraper and 5 others like this.
  5. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

That is a really fantastic photo, Charlie.

PLAla, clint64, sdguero and 4 others like this.
  6. PickledNorthern

Great post. You have been such a great asset to the thread.

PLAla, clint64, jtspartan and 6 others like this.
  7. wristwatchb

Thank you, Jared. I appreciate the kind words and the double unicorn!

PLAla, clint64, sdguero and 4 others like this.
  8. PickledNorthern

That is such a first class, pic.

SharptoothC, PLAla, clint64 and 6 others like this.
  9. PickledNorthern

Really great shot. Winter is settled in now.

PLAla, clint64, Douglas Carey and 6 others like this.
  10. PickledNorthern

You Sir, are really knocking the pics out of the park with the Christmas theme. Really, really great.

PLAla, clint64, sdguero and 6 others like this.
  11. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Jason!

PLAla, clint64, jtspartan and 4 others like this.
  12. PickledNorthern

I hope you are able to get it out. I did that once, and it is a crappy feeling. It was just a tiny tiny little knurl, but I was BRAND new at honing, and there was no way I was gonna try to get it out of a brand new razor.

Keithmax, PLAla, clint64 and 6 others like this.
  13. Norcalnewb

Nice set up, John! What is more decadent than Duct Tape Special?

PLAla, clint64, sdguero and 5 others like this.
  14. PickledNorthern

Love Friday’s!

Linuxguile, PLAla, clint64 and 5 others like this.
  15. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Jared! Two unicorns? I feel so honored!

PLAla, clint64, sdguero and 5 others like this.
  16. PickledNorthern

I have a tub of Frankensoap, that is all my bits and pieces. For what a mishmash it is, it smells really good. I have used it a couple times. Good soap.

PLAla, clint64, jtspartan and 8 others like this.
  17. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Randy, glad you are part of the madness. I wish I had more time to do more thoughtful responses on more posts, but I never do. If anyone is passing through the Kansas City area, I would be happy to meet up for coffee or something.
    I move that no events or meet ups by this group include the phrase “Kilts optional.” Is there a second?
    Those seem like good ground rules.

Keithmax, BaylorGator, PLAla and 8 others like this.
  18. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

It was an experiment that got out of hand.

I had been trying them back to back and couldn't tell them apart, so first I decided to put the two almost identical Vitos products together in a TOBS tub that was bigger than the puny tubs the 100ml cakes had come in. The Vitos soap has a consistency of silly putty, so kneading the two together went well.

Then I looked at the Valobra, which was the size and shape of a bar of hand soap and came in a cardboard box with no container at all. It needed a home and was also squishable, so into the Vitos it went -- and it all moved into a larger empty Vaseline jar as shown in the photo. I had a bit of a sample of 3P cream, I so just dumped it in.

Then I got stupid and tried to add the Cella - not the puttylike soap in the "barber size" bricks, the stuff in the round red tub. Which, when you read the label closely, is shaving cream not soap. Not only did adding it require me to re-house the soap in both the Vaseline tub and the TOBS tub together, it turns out that trying to knead shaving cream into a block of puttylike soap gets .... messy. And once I cleaned everything up, I was left with a frankensoap that is more like chunks of soap streaked through a similar amount of shaving cream. If I did it again, I would read the label and avoid trying to mix cream in with soap.

It all works well together though. Which is good because I have at least a pound of the stuff...

Linuxguile, Keithmax, PLAla and 11 others like this.
  19. PickledNorthern

There’s a Bright-eyes!

Linuxguile, PLAla, clint64 and 7 others like this.
  20. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

So funny story tonight. I got a surprise gift from @Douglas Carey, a full sized tub of El Caballero from Oleo Soapworks. Earlier this week I had gotten a gift of samples from them, and this was the scent I liked the most. Really excited to add this to the Den.

The scent is described as a mix of Bay Rum and a gentlemen’s cologne. I had Mrs. Drygulch smell it, and she said it was not bad and kind of “perfumey.” I told her what the scent was, emphasizing the word “gentlemen.” She looks me right in the eyes and deadpans, “Well then you better send it back, shouldn’t you?”

Linuxguile, Keithmax, PLAla and 12 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.