DECember 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Nov 30, 2017.

?

What would you like to find in your stocking this Christmas?

1. A decadent Gillette Toggle or other rare vintage DE

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. A decadent mint condition SE razor from the early 20th century

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  3. A decadent vintage straight razor, restored to perfection.

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  4. A puck or two of your favorite decadent soap or cream

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  5. A luxurious and decadent High Mountain Badger brush (or your favorite type)

9 vote(s)
    23.7%
  6. A plate of decadent cookies.

12 vote(s)
    31.6%
  7. Anything besides a lump of coal. Because coal isn't decadent. It's just depressing.

21 vote(s)
    55.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

She’s a little cuter
    Thanks

2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I'll make a note.

3. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

But......it works on her. :happy097:

4. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Williams was made to disappoint. Well, modern Williams.

5. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Anyone who is getting even close to eviction is usually providing such comic relief that he becomes indispensable, therefore, safe for another round. It's a vicious circle around this place.

6. mrchick

Done
    Thanks for the kind words Charlie.
    [​IMG]

sdguero, FaceScraper, LOOT and 10 others like this.
  7. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Oh the comments that are piling into my brain demanding access to the keyboard. Nope, just gonna move on. You all just think like me for a second and you'll get them all I"m sure.

sdguero, FaceScraper, LOOT and 7 others like this.
  8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That is what I meant by getting kicked out. Too many set ups like this in a short span of time. Lol

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Hey!!! don't blame the clutch if you can't drive a standard.

10. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Decadent December!!!

December 17 - It's TOGGLE TIME!

Razor - 1960 (F4) Gillette Toggle (6)
    Blade - [​IMG] (1)
    Soap - Jeeves of Hudson Street Bay Rum
    Brush - Jayaruh #54
    Post - Alum

After a great shave last night on the Fatboy it's time to go to the Toggle. Fresh blade just like last night. Jeeves of Hudson Street Bay Rum with the JR54 adds the decadence we need this month. Now, let's see if I can tell a difference in handling and feel. By the way, I chose not to use a rule setup for this comparison. All of the soaps I'm using right now are really excellent performers, and my usual rotation of brushes is consistent as well. I'm not really looking at the final result of the shave as much as how the razor feels in my hand and how well it performs in accomplishing the shave.

Three full passes again, just because, and I noticed one slight difference. The Toggle feels like a short handle compared to the Fatboy. The irony here is that the Toggle is actually longer, with the toggle itself adding about a quarter to 3/8th of an inch. The toggle, however, tapers to the end which gives the feeling of holding higher up on the handle. The only other difference was the grip. The Toggle seems a bit slippery, compared to the Fatboy. Both have excellent knurling, and yes, the Toggle was recently replated which may have an impact. But it's something I need to examine the handles more closely for and figure out whether it's the replating, the actual knurling pattern, or a bit of both.

I can't complain about the feel and finish. Smooth just like always, and the baby has been put to bed with very little alum noise. Compared to other comparisons and trials I've done, this one is a trip to the Bahamas! Hope your Monday is a good one!

December 17 2017.jpg

11. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Interesting read on the Toggle history here:
    https://sharpologist.com/2017/02/untold-story-gillette-toggle-razor.html
    Your findings are lining up with the tests and research they did. (I also just won an auction on one.)
    D8D57539-3F16-4646-BCB5-95BAF2269C7F.jpeg

12. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I had read that article and highly recommend it as well. And anytime I can reproduce the findings of the sharpologist I feel like I've been faithful to method. I try not to read the entire articles before doing my comparisons. All I knew prior to starting was that the Toggle was heavier and longer (though the length is obvious). You can definitely feel those extra grams which I think is one of the reasons it seems more aggressive than the Fatboy by a nose. The longer handle feeling shorter - that's an interesting phenomenon.

I would love to come to the conclusion that I definitely prefer the Toggle, should own one, need to beg borrow or capture one in the wild, and make it my daily shaver forevermore. But, the jury is still out and no matter what I will still need to beg borrow or capture one in the wild and add it to my collection as a really cool part of Gillette and shaving history!

13. mrchick

Thanks. It was a special weekend for me.

sdguero, FaceScraper, PLAla and 6 others like this.
  14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Clear as a bell, I was just joking.

sdguero, FaceScraper, PLAla and 7 others like this.
  15. Bama Samurai

I debated which line to drop for one NFL quarter. It had to be done.

16. Bama Samurai

Life's gonna be good!

sdguero, FaceScraper, PLAla and 7 others like this.
  17. Bama Samurai

Another way... Funny to see 220lb supermen hit the Slide.

18. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Yup...I would hope so.:)

sdguero, FaceScraper, PLAla and 6 others like this.
  19. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Monday December 18 - old school decadence

IMG_00000074.jpg

Delta Echo Ink black Gillette Fatboy on 4 / vintage Gillette Platinum Plus (1)
    Canadian Rubberset 100V restored with Maggards 22mm plissoft knot
    Jeeves of Hudson Street Key Lime shave stick
    Alum and Florida Water

Inspired by Neal @NCoxSTL and his Toggle/Fatboy test, I decided to haul out my Fatboy today and to pair it with one of the blades first designed for it. My Gillette Platinum Plus cartridges date from sometime before 1980, not sure when. The interesting thing about these blades is that they only have a slot and centre hole to fit a TTO razor and do not have the other holes that allow use with 3-piece razors.

I added a vintage brush, used the Key Lime anyway because I like it, and finished with Florida Water, which has been around since the 1840s.

Today's shave was so smooth and effortless that I doublechecked the razor to make sure I had put a blade in it. The vintage Gillette Platinum Plus blades are both sharp and very smooth. After shaving for six months with Topaz Platinums, I wasn't expecting that sensation. I expect I will also be getting more than two good shaves out of them. If I remember correctly, when I last used these blades they were good for a week to 10 days.

A great shave using mostly vintage equipment and long-established products.

20. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks very much Jared.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

sdguero, FaceScraper, PLAla and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.