DECember 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Nov 30, 2017.

?

What would you like to find in your stocking this Christmas?

1. A decadent Gillette Toggle or other rare vintage DE

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. A decadent mint condition SE razor from the early 20th century

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  3. A decadent vintage straight razor, restored to perfection.

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  4. A puck or two of your favorite decadent soap or cream

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  5. A luxurious and decadent High Mountain Badger brush (or your favorite type)

9 vote(s)
    23.7%
  6. A plate of decadent cookies.

12 vote(s)
    31.6%
  7. Anything besides a lump of coal. Because coal isn't decadent. It's just depressing.

21 vote(s)
    55.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Not so much that but the soaps with over the top cloves light my face up like a cheap cigar. ;)

2. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Thank you sir

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

3. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

December 1, 2017 - As decadent as I can be

Razor: G3 Gillette Aristocrat Adjustable (4)
    Blade: Treet Platinum (1)
    Brush: Razorock Plissoft 22
    Cream: Simpsons Luxury

To be honest, except for bouts of RAD, I'm actually pretty much a minimalist through circumstances and choice. That said, in the spirit of the month, I decided to see what I could pull out for today's shave. Now, nothing screams "decadent" like an Aristocrat, even if it is of the adjustable variety. The razor was a PIF from @Norcalnewb as part of @Rufus T.'s 2015 Birth Quarter Secret Santa. It's in beautiful shape except for some loss of the gold on the doors and safety bars (kind of like an Eastern European aristocrat ousted by the Communists). The Treet are a good match for the razor, the brush is already luxurious, and the Simpsons cream is definitely decadent in its bountiful lather.

Giving myself yesterday to heal was a good move. Today, the baby came with no issues and no reopened wounds. A decadent start to the month.

4. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Some great pictures and line ups this morning, gentlemen!

Andrew, it almost looks like your son is doing an E.T. impression hiding amongst the toys.

33116A97-EE52-47C8-9DDC-C27206FDFCB2.jpeg

5. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Glad today's shave was better John!

6. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

That's true, Jim. Our living room has become his playground.

7. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Some great set ups, Gentlemen.

8. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Wow. Time for a new thread already? Wait, we're already 5 pages in and the Friday baby pic is already posted? I gotta get my act in gear. I'd worry that being tardy might affect my chances of getting cookies this month, but I'm pretty sure the odds remain unaffected. That being said, I must make the obligatory "I am disappointed in those of you who continue to unwittingly vote for the cookies like state-run hypnotized minions." statement, just because it has to be said. Rage against the machine and all that.

In other shaving related news, @clint64 and @LOOT have already given me brush envy.

Anyway, I'm going to continue my soap reviews (chronicled on my review thread) this month. This pretty much defines decadence, particularly with my recent discovery and acquisition of Wholly Kaw and Grooming Department soaps. (They are CRAZY, OTHER-WORDLY GOOD by the way.) The original idea for the reviews was for me to jettison some of my "lesser soaps" and find new soaps I liked even better. While that did happen, the exercise, unfortunately, has spurred me into full acquisition mode. In my case, decadence seems to be directly linked to stupidity. Anyway, I'll be here all month. Try the meatloaf and tip your bartender.

9. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, gentlemen, for your kind words!

Adam, Wholly Kaw with donkey milk is great soap. Definitely worth a try.

10. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Welcome aboard! Sound like both a great plan for an enjoyably decadent month of shaves and an excellent start to a long career in the 30DC aka "the Crew". I am planning to use the same Gillette adjustables myself for most of the month.

11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

You are off to a great start to the month with a great lineup. :happy096:

12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Randy. I've been following your review thread. Wholly Kaw and Grooming Department are both very highly regarded. There is a huge thread on DFS started by Grooming Department in which he discusses the different formulas and his thoughts on the scent profiles if you are interested in background information.

13. Screwtape

Clint, thanks for the tip about MdC. After giving my brother one of the wooden bowls of it for his birthday earlier this year, I broke down and ordered some for myself when they announced the LE scents on Black Friday. It will be useful to know that when it arrives.

14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

MdC does tolerate a lot more water than most use. The wooden bowls of soap are just so nice and I hope to get one at some point. What did you get for yourself?

15. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Yes sir! Puttin’ on the Ritz! Very classy!

16. Screwtape

With what I was going to pay for shipping from France to Western Canada? I decided to spread the pain around as much as I could. So I did one order to MdC for one of each type of scented shave soap (5) plus a clearance special bag of a couple kilos of assorted bathsoaps to distribute to the women in the family. I figure if I like all the shave soaps, I am set for MdC for years, and if I don’t like some, I can give them to my brother or sell or trade them here.

17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I agree the shipping is so high that you have to spread the pain around. I think it's even worse for you guys than us in the US. If you don't like the soaps you'll have no problem selling them and recovering most of your money. I bought two of my MdC soaps on different BST from people that didn't care for them. I did the same thing with my Nuavia as well.

18. Screwtape

Friday December 1 -. Mystery Cream B

Gillette Black Beauty on 4 / Topaz Platinum ( 1 )
    30DC LE Maple Cashmere synthetic brush
    Vlasta cream B
    Alum and Jeeves Barbershop (Turkish Bath) Aftershave splash (after about 1/2 hr)

Not much to say - a good shave with reliable hardware and a pretty decent albeit anonymous cream.

First time I tried this new Jeeves splash. I liked the scent as a soap and it is even nicer as a splash

19. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Someday when I grow up, I want a razor just like that! :)

20. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Thanks, Clint. I’ll have to check that out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.