Deciding on a Weber

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by rweb82, Mar 5, 2014.

1. rweb82

rweb82 Active Member

Hey, does anyone know how the new Weber razor compare to something like a Gillette NEW Open Comb? I find the Gillette to be a little too aggressive, or just not very smooth in my experience. My EJ DE86 and Parker 99R always feel smoother on my face. Also, I can never seem to get as close with the Gillette. Maybe it's my technique; I don't know!

I've read that the Weber is more aggressive than the EJ, and so is my Gillette. I'm just not sure I want another razor quite as aggressive as the Gillette OC. Can someone compare the aggressiveness/smoothness between the Gillette NEW OC and the Weber? I really do appreciate any help! Cheers!

2. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I have never used a Gillette NEW OC but I have a Weber with the classic handle and love it. I don't find it the least bit aggressive. I usually use an Astra SP in mine and get a BBS with a three pass shave and no irritation even with a lot of touch-up around the trouble spots on my neck. IMO Weber is the best value for the money in shaving. A stainless, American made razor that gives a great shave for $70. Not that it stops me from owning at least 10 other razors. Lol

ObiDon, PatrickA51 and rweb82 like this.
  3. rweb82

rweb82 Active Member

Yes, this is what I wanted to hear! I too use Astra SPs, and also IP Reds. As long as the Weber is pretty smooth and forgiving, I think I am going to get one for my birthday. The problem is, my birthday isn't until July. :mad:

4. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I have to agree with this above statement. I would venture to say that the Weber3pc SS/DE Razor with the 85MM Classic handle will run circles around the EJ DE86 and Parker 99R razors. And for the price you can't beat it and it's American Made in Texas!

rweb82 likes this.
  5. Aimless1

Aimless1 Active Member

You will find the shave is similar to your EJ De86, but more efficient. Early birthday present? ;)

rweb82 likes this.
  6. rweb82

rweb82 Active Member

Thanks for the replies! My mind is made up. Weber it is. Is the classic handle the same length as the EJ? Now I just have to figure out if I want the classic or bulldog handle. Decisions, decisions.

7. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:greet002: I own a Gillette "NEW" OC,EJ89 and two Weber's(polished head and DLC)....I also find the "NEW" the most aggressive of the three..The EJ and Weber shaves are very similar I.M.O. with the polished head Weber a "tiny" bit more aggressive than either the EJ or DLC...I think you'll do well with a Weber and if not you should be able to sell it easily....The "BEST" of the three is the DLC I.M.O.,however if your lucky enough to even find one for sale, be prepared to pay dearly for it...:(

The Weber BullDog(my favorite) is 3" long
    The Classic is approx. 3 2/3" long
    EJ handle is about 3 1/4" long..All measurements are approximate..
    The knurling on the Weber handles is "EXCELLENT" and the weights are the same only the length and diameter is different between the BullDog and the Classic..

There was a guy on ebay selling ss BullDog and Classic clones....I got a BullDog handle from him that I'm very happy with for around $19....You may want to check him out and then you can have both handles... His selling name on ebay is "inspkn"....

rweb82 likes this.
  8. rweb82

rweb82 Active Member

I just checked out Inspken on eBay. His handles look great. His price has increased a little to $22+$5 shipping. That's still a pretty good deal, IMO.

9. 178-bplatoon

The BullDog I got from him is an exact copy of the Weber, absolutely excellent for the price!!....When I bought from him the BullDog's were going for $19 and the Classics for $22, plus the shipping of course... I found his prices very fair..I believe he also sells a Weber Wave handle copy, which is basically just a BullDog handle with scallopping..Shoot him an email for more info, he's an easy guy to deal with....:)

another FYI...If you go to "shaveabuck" he sells Sabi and Cadet razors that come in BullDog and Classic lengths, while not ss they are of decent quality and priced about the same as inspkn ss handles and you can get another SB or OC shave head to try.....I have a Sabi T2 handle and like it very much....:)

10. Aimless1

Aimless1 Active Member

I ordered my original Weber with the bull dog handle and loved it. I have since switched that out for the classic, which I prefer. However, either handle is great. I also have handles from Inspken including the classic and wave. Use the classic on the de89 as well.

11. rweb82

rweb82 Active Member

I've heard the DLC was the best-performing model. I still would probably go with the newest version anyway- as I really just want a classic-looking instrument. These razors seem to be an amazing value; and many hold them in higher regards than iKon razors- which are nearly double the price.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  12. 178-bplatoon

I've never tried an iKon, but I feel they are overpriced(main reason I've never tried one), especially as they are made in Thailand..I will say the Weber has served me well, I'm quite happy with the fit and finish as well as it's performance!! The customer service from Weber is "GREAT" also...:)

13. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I have not used any vintage razors but The Weber is great. $70 for a SS razor is an excellent price. I mated mine with a Tradere Handle but that is another $49. my Razor would be worth $119 brand new but it is the only razor I should need, and with proper maintencance it will become an Heirloom. Btw the shipping is extremely fast.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    178-bplatoon likes this.
  14. 178-bplatoon

:signs011:

15. rweb82

rweb82 Active Member

So here's a new question... Should I spend the $70 on a Weber, or pick up a Super Speed for about $25, and have it restored/replated? Which razor will give the better shave?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Honestly? Only your face can tell you which razor is better.

Aimless1 likes this.
  17. PatrickA51

I made an error in my post above; the Weber 3pc SS/DE 85mm Classic Handle Razor is Not Made in Texas it's made in The State of Missouri ! Sorry for giving you the wrong information.
    My Whipped Dog Shaving brush was made in Texas. :ashamed001:

18. Aimless1

Aimless1 Active Member

:signs011:

19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

On the matter of resale—should neither of the two aforementioned razors work out for you—you would take a bigger financial hit trying to recoup your investment in a replated super speed (assuming $25 cost & $50 to replate= $75 investment) than with the $70 Weber.

rweb82 likes this.
  20. PatrickA51

X2