Definitive Best Bay Rum Thread???

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Tim Spencer, May 23, 2016.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

That's interesting you say that. I had Stephan's Bay Rum Aftershave, and have read where people say there is SOME clove in it, but it's balanced with the bay part pretty well. At my first trial, I asked myself "Hmmmm...are they sure?" Then I later read it is clove-free. Albeit this was the A.S., not the soap.

gorgo2 likes this.
  2. Paul Turner

I always wanted to try that one. What's the clove factor in it?

3. Paul Turner

no clove for me....and great avatar :).

4. Paul Turner

I like that site.

5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Did you like the Stephans? Someday I'm going to get another bottle.

Masters (again, IIRC) is more bay than clove. It's nice, just not what I was looking for.

6. Paul Turner

I liked Stephan's for the smoothness it gave my face and neck. Also the fact that it originated in 1897 and has been called a "true barbershop classic". I still have some of their shampoo left. I may order another aftershave(the BR), so overall I did like it.

7. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

How "clovey" is Soap Commanders' Purpose??? I put in a trade offer for it as I hear lots of good things about Soap Commander and most of their stuff is impossible to order now.

8. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I just checked my tub, and I don't find it clovey at all. It is a very well balanced bay rum scent, but if you are looking for an in your face smell, it's not the soap for you. It's a subtle, pleasing scent. I did a quick palm lather, and in less than a minute I had gobs of very slick, cushioney lather. Great stuff.

9. SteveShaves

SteveShaves New Member

I'd say mild on the clove. Its def my fav bay rum scent ( I'm not a huge fan of too much clove).

Paul Turner likes this.
  10. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

What would be an example of a strong scented, low-clove scented Bay Rum soap? I also want matching after-shave and maybe even cologne.

11. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

The only others I've tried are the Shave Den's and Stirling's and of the two the Stirling has a stronger scent, but a tad more clove.

12. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I have only used one Bay Rum scented soap so far - Captain's Choice. Wonderful thick and rich lather and heavy on the clove scent. I love that so it works well for me. Will be trying other Bay Rum soaps in the near future but it will be hard to beat Captain's Choice.

13. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Check out Stirling's Bay Rum. It is probably my favorite Bay Rum.

14. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    My favorites:

Fragrances:
    1) Meehan Bay Rhum
    2) Dominica (with and without Lime)
    3) C. O. Bigelow No. 32 (non-clove)

Soap:

1) Mike's Natural
    2) Krampert's **
    ** Nice soap, great scent, burns my face...:angry021:

15. kingfisher

kingfisher Active Member

I'm not a bay rum guy, so I don't have a dog in this hunt, but what I do know is that Mystic Water soaps and Dr. Jon's soaps have some of the most amazing and beautifully balanced scents of any soaps I've tried. You've have recommendations for both of these vendors already in this thread.

Michelle at Mystic Water sells good sized samples for a reasonable price. To my knowledge Dr. Jon's doesn't sell samples, but the last time I purchased soap there, they had a 2-oz size in the regular line-up. So, without putting out much cash, you could try some MW and some Dr. Jon's. If I were you, that's what I would do.

16. I am looking for the closest possible to St John's Bay Rum. My grandfather went to St Thomas when I was little and I can still remember that smell, I am looking for a soap to smell as close to that as possible. I know I can buy that after shave but I want soap to match.

17. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

St John's is one of my favorite Bay rums. The closest soap I have found is my Ogallala Bay Rum Shave Stick.

Dzia Dzia and Screwtape like this.
  18. EzraCobb

EzraCobb Well-Known Member

For after shave ... stephans is the best bay rum ! Than there is gables and master comb tied for second! Pinaud virgin islans is a putrid sour pickle smell to me and i gave it away

gorgo2 likes this.
  19. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Bub! Still got that Gillette?

20. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

Try this link...
    http://www.bigelowchemists.com/search?q=St+John's+bay+rum
    ... To be continued...
    wine-3.GIF
    Don