DeFitch Group Review thread

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Quite a few of us took advantage of the $5 offer by DeFitch this week and picked up their new DF91 razor.

It would be interesting to gather all comments and reviews in one place as we will all be receiving the razor next week (unless you're on of those snazzy Prime members and might have it Saturday) ;)

So, post your honest reviews (pictures is nice) here :D

So far, I think we have these buyers;
    @Darkbulb
    @ShaneS (don't worry Shane, as you're a vendor I don't expect you to review a competing product) :)
    @BigCabDaddy
    @Bama Samurai
    @gmaugie007
    @pvtbanks
    @Spyder
    @catchesbass
    @cmorris357
    @MObigfoot
    @youngunn
    @Jayaruh
    @Redfisher
    @Etoyoc
    @John Ruschmeyer
    @necrotic
    @m54daboll

Anyone else?

Is it a hit...or a miss....?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
    chrisbd and Spyder like this.
  2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

subscribed

Darkbulb likes this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I bit. I will probably end up gifting it. I just could not pass it up.

Darkbulb likes this.
  4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Good plan - if it turns out to not be for you it could make for a good xmas gift

BigCabDaddy and Jayaruh like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I also got Prime free for 30 days so I got the free shipping. I just have to remember to cancel the prime in a few weeks.

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Yeah I got the same offer email..hmm..really should sign up for it w/ xmas shopping, etc coming up now. Thanks for the reminder :)

7. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

Amazon prime is nice if you read a lot or watch a lot of online movies or TV. I would get it just for the lending library and the on demand video. I take advantage of the lending library on my Mom's account. She lets me use one of the slots for free e-books.

8. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

While you have it, check out their video if you have a Roku box or something. Not quite enough for us to give up Netflix or Hulu, but a very good selection in it's own right. Some of their originals are very entertaining.

9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Believe it or not...but the free app/service "Crackle" is really coming into their own this year with some own material and some really good streaming options.

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  10. BigCabDaddy

I actually used to enjoy Crackle quite a bit. Not as much of their stuff was in HD, but hey. They started needing you to have an account and I just haven't got around to signing up yet.

Darkbulb likes this.
  11. chrisbd

chrisbd Well-Known Member

For the record I fired off a cheeky subscription enquiry and received an extremely prompt, very polite response from a gent called Mike apologising that the cost of shipment to the UK was so high he couldn't oblige. At least he was considerate enough to let me down gently.

Reviews I've read elsewhere say the handle's worth the price but the head's of such poor quality that DeFitch is so disappointed they're looking for alternative suppliers. Currently shave at own risk.

I'd be interested to read results of your own trials.

Regards,
    Chris

Robyflexx likes this.
  12. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

That's the original version. The $5.00 offer is for a redesigned 2.0 model which, presumably, addresses those issues.

Robyflexx, ShaneS and Darkbulb like this.
  13. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    First impression is good. It actually holds the blade reasonably straight. No obvious flaws. Looks like the blade gap might be uneven, but not by a ton. It feels inexpensive, but it is so that's not a knock against it.

I think this one is actually capable of shaving and probably worth the $15. It is definitely an EJ knockoff so if you don't approve of that stay clear. Personally, at this price point it doesn't bug me.

Nice job, DeFitch. :)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
    Bama Samurai, Robyflexx and DeFitch like this.
  14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

You Prime-people you.
    Razor does look very nice.
    Will you be taking it for a spin?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
    Robyflexx and ShaneS like this.
  15. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Definitely. Hell I even used the last version. Almost lost my lip in the name of science.

trey06dmd, Robyflexx and BigCabDaddy like this.
  16. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

You rang? :p
    [​IMG]

Robyflexx and BigCabDaddy like this.
  17. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    First shave is in. I didn't really need a shave; I had a go with the Cobra Classic yesterday afternoon so I didn't have much stubble. But, I did a one pass with the DeFitch anyways.

First the good: It's much much much better cast. The finish is far superior to the previous one and is on par with razors twice its price. The shave went pretty well. No nicks. I had a pretty pleasant shave. My face is still arranged the way it was before. The handle is nice and the weight is very good.

The bad: Blade alignment is poor and I had a hard time getting even blade exposure. It wasn't impossible, but I did have to fiddle with it quite a bit. My first strokes didn't remove any hair and then I realized that the blade was far more exposed on the other side. Then I solved that, but the blade became angled. It took a bit to resolve.

So I got a fine shave once I dialed it in. I think the DeFitch is a buy at around $10-12. But during my shave I had a realization: the price point is great for beginners, but sorting out the blade alignment requires some experience which makes it not a great choice for a first razor. Experienced shavers can get a pretty nice shave from this razor, but they probably already have higher end razors and won't bother. So it's a good razor, but I'm not really sure who it's good for. I think it might find a niche as a travel razor(albeit not a compact one).

Greatly improved, DeFitch.

Edit: Added more info.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    Robyflexx, wmbjr, DeFitch and 5 others like this.
  18. BigCabDaddy

Very well thought out conclusions. I like that.

Robyflexx likes this.
  19. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Apparently mine will get here already today and that's sans Prime :)

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  20. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

For some reason, my razor got sent Lightweight Parcel Select. After paying almost 6$ for shipping. It could be 2 weeks before I see the razor. I have sent Amazon a message