Derby has unbelievable customer support

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bird Lives, May 13, 2010.

1. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I'm currently in Istanbul, and I couldn't find any Derby Extras in the retail stores...All the stores have their disposables and the Derby 2 and 3 blade types, but no DE's. So the factory is pretty close to where I'm staying so I called them up, and tell them I'm from the US and can't find their blades and they where very cool, friendly and helpful, to say the least...They told me of some locations that sold their DE blades to Barbers and they sent me 40 (5 blade) packs next-day cargo; no charge; along with some creams, catalogues, some disposables and such...and called me to make sure everything was cool...
    In this day and time, you just don't see that kind of commitment to customer satisfaction very often if at all anymore..."present company excluded...:))"
    Just thought I should share this with you...Thought you all would want to know...Personally I'm kind of knocked out...

2. geneaut

geneaut Member

Very impressive. That level of service seems to be on the way out of fashion, so it is nice to hear that.

3. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Refreshing that old fashion customer service still exists. If more business did that they would not be going out of business.

4. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Arkadaşım, nasılsın! :)

I love Derby blades, because I find them mild and smooth, yet they give fantastic shaves, in no matter which DE I use them in. ;)

5. shavejunkie

shavejunkie New Member

Thats the business formula that made America a superpower both military and economic. Getting away from that was a critical mistake, glad to see people still appreciate and respect "good business". Thank you for posting such positive info. ;)

6. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Just bought 100 of them the other day.

7. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

I have yet to use a Derby blade. However, I totally agree with your statement. It's too bad that so many businesses, especially larger ones, seem to have lost sight of that paradigm...:)

8. glassmtn

glassmtn Member

Great customer service.

Since you are in Istanbul and have developed a relationship with Derby, it would be great if you could ask someone at the company if the vertical Derby packs are the same as their horizontal packs. It seems that some feel the vertically labeled packs are not as good as those bearing the horizontal labels. But others feel they are the same.

eric.

9. Bird Lives,

I wonder which blades you got? Vertical or Horizontal. If this are coming from factory, here is where we need to focus the problem.

Great thinking glassmtn,

Dark

10. Bird Lives

After reading of your concerns I googled Derby vertical, and after reading many of those threads I was becoming more and more concerned...I have at least 100 horizontal blades in my stash but the 40 packs the factory sent me are the first verticals I have ever seen...I've PM'ed some of my friends whose opinions mean much to me, and then I went to bed waiting for first-light when I would start the testing of the verticals myself...
    First pack opened easier than my horizontals...Second ;blade looks identical, even the printing on the blade is equally as dark...Yesterday I got a terrific shave using a horizontal in my Slim @ 3/3/6; so today wanting an aggessive test of the 1st shave on a vertical, I used my Slim @ 6...I know it's only my 1st shave on the vertical but I recieved the same famous Derby Smooth Shave that I've been getting with the horizontals...Since the 1st shave on these blades are supposed to be the worse then I quess it will only get better...
    I know our opinions on blades is a continuing process, and takes time, but as to my initial feelings, I loved the shave I got this morning. I hope if there was a proplem at Derby that they have worked it out, I don't know but my first impression could not have been more positive and I know these blades are new from the factory. I will continue to post on how my blades are working out for me either here or on the SOTD thread. I do sympathize with your concerns, but seriously at present time, and I repeat, AT THE PRESENT TIME, I see no problem to focus on...Thanks

UPDATE: Verticals are extremely inconsistant. Only the first blade had dark printing on it. If the printing on the blade is bad then probably the blade is too, is how it seems to be working out for me. Some folks say hand stropping makes them workout fine...Right now as there are still a ton of the horizontals on the market, I'm just buying those. BTW I got 2 Astras in the same pack with printing that you could hardly read and both blades gave horrible shaves. Inconsistancies can happen with any company, its just that the Vertical Derbys are prone to inconsistancies. But I still just love the Horizontal Derbys, and if hand stropping a vertical makes it shave like a horizontal; if I couldn't find the horizontals; I'd do it.

11. glassmtn

glassmtn Member

I had my first Derby vertical shave this morning. It was awful. Too much pulling. I tossed the blade after the half of the first pass. Occasionally, I have gotten as bad a shave with the Derby horizontal so I have not given up on the vertical blades yet. I will try another. I find that I get an occasional bad blade on the Derby horizontals--maybe 1 out of every 10. Hopefully this was the bad blade in my pack of Derby verticals.

eric.

12. El Judio Afeitado

El Judio Afeitado New Member

I have lately gone on a "Buy U.S.A" or more to the point "China's got enough of my dollars" thing. So, in looking at a website for U.S.-made products I stumbled upon a company in Nebraska making bath and shaving soaps, colognes, etc. in the town of Ogallala. This company has a good-quality product at a fair price, replies personally to the customer via e-mail and always throws in a lagniappe to sweeten the deal. They've got my business and for all the right reasons! :happy096

13. dashmaverick

dashmaverick Member

Yeah, Ogallala bayrum lime & peppercorn soap is awesome stuff!

14. beyboo

beyboo New Member

I have a stash of Vertical Derby's from a year back - supposedly from the time that the Bad Derby's started showing up. I would get a nasty bite from the first and second shave every time in my Merkur 34C. I finally let the Derby's rest.

This week I loaded one up in a Gold ball end tech and put it to work. I could sense the bite, but the Tech had mellowed it down, so not the usual aweful experience. Enjoying 3 quality smooth shaves so far !!

15. Bird Lives

Want to buy USA ?? The Shave Den Store is about as American as Apple Pie and their Soaps and Creams are made "in house" by our very own JoAnna and are believed to be unsurpassed by most folks around here, and talk about a company with heart, well look around, you're in their Den as we speak...:))

16. Batness

Batness New Member

I used to live in NE and I'm also on a "Buy American" thing right now (at least as best I can!); what company is this? I'd love to check them out!

17. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Ogallala Bay Rum

18. El Judio Afeitado

I'm using that flavor bath soap and I have yet to sample the shaving soap; I read only good things about his stuff. Bath and cologne line is fine, indeed!

19. El Judio Afeitado

Oh, I know that. But I dealt with John before I heard of this place. I believe in spreading it around, guy, believe me.

But after a career mostly in retail, I appreciate value and service wherever I find them. Except China. The only thing I've bought from that country lately was the Wei-Shi I gifted to my friend.

Shave Den Store will get some of my business, no doubt. And so will other businesses in the States. :happy023

20. El Judio Afeitado