Derby vs. arko shave shave stick

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by repoman, Mar 5, 2013.

1. s2mason

s2mason New Member

I would think the amount any particular kind of soap dries the users skin, is usually more dependent on the user than the soap. Let's be honest, we're talking about artisan/commercial "shave soap", not putting Boraxo on your brush and going to town. I use Arko at least every other shave and NEVER have an issue with dry skin. I have a busy house, so my soap regularly dries to my face before I get to finish a complete pass. Lots of re-lather going on at my sink through all this. With this being said, I absolutely agree that a pre/post routine to clean and moisturize is both critical for a quality shave experience, but also healthy for your skin.

2. PumperNickel-BageL

PumperNickel-BageL Active Member

I decided to go with the Derby soap since it is a more hard soap it will probably last a little longer than the Arko. But I am going to run an experiment on my own to see how many days it takes to use up the stick. I am hoping to hit at least 6 months.

I found the YouTube video below very helpful. He talks about that Derby and Arko each share the same 13 ingredients and then Arko has 4 additional ingredients in addition to that.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    brit, Yehuda D and RyX like this.
  3. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

Having used both now, I can say I prefer the spicy soap scent of Derby over Arko. But in terms of performance, either is great.

Yehuda D likes this.
  4. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

To me, scent is the least important element in a soap. I judge on protection and cost.

Both Arko, and Derby, to me, have the same protection. It is a matter of which one I happen to pull out that day. They both perform the same, and lather just like one would expect them to.

Price is my next judgement. I look at the cost per shave. Again both of them are home runs. I'm not saying not to buy a more expensive soap, if that's your thing, you do you. However for me, it is a judgement call.

Now, I will say this, I cannot stand the Derby cream. I have the menthol and the lemon. Neither of them have the kind of protection that the sticks offer.

However, for me, a shave stick that is above both, is the Palmolive stick!
    I will ALWAYS have that in my den.

brit and Frijolero like this.
  5. Mr Two Bits

Mr Two Bits Well-Known Member

I’ve received a couple sticks of Derby as freebies from online purchases... haven’t tried it yet but I may have to go ahead and give it a shot. I do a lot of hiking/camping and my first thought when I got it was “this is definitely going in the pack with me”... does it perform well with a SR?

Yehuda D likes this.
  6. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

As far as a straight razor, I can't speak to any level of certainty, however I have e heard it is better to have a bit more of a thinner lather.

Yehuda D likes this.
  7. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

I find the Derby has less of a scent and a bit harder than the Arko. I also find that the Derby has a little more post shave slickness. However, they are both great products.

I have also the creams from both companies and the actual pucks/bowls coming from both companies. I'll post here when I have compared all the above if you guys would like.

brit and Yehuda D like this.
  8. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

For me the Derby stick is pretty good. It lathers easily and fast, the scent is a bit - just a bit different from the Arko stick and its postshave care is fine. However I must say the Arko stick is better all the way around.

BigD likes this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

i like the derby... 20181226_130812.jpg

Frijolero and BigD like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

i also like and use the wilkinson sword stick, fantastic stuff but harder to get here. i grated a wilki and a derby stick together and have a great soap as well.. 20181226_132053.jpg

BigD likes this.