Derby

Discussion in 'Blade Reviews' started by Will, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Will

Will Nevermind

Sharp, not so much but good to get a close shave.

Longevity, bout 3-4 shaves.

No irritation when using these bad boys.

Great quality and at a great value!

2. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    My skin just doesn't like these.

3. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

My favorite blade right now.
    Works well in all my razors.
    Smooth right out of the wrapper and gives me 3-4 shaves.
    Not as sharp as Feathers but they dont butcher my face at all.
    Cheap and very effective.

4. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

My favourite blade, I use it in any razor with supreme results.. Very sharp, good mileage (a week for me) and no nicks and cuts.. I have yet to find a bad or dull blade..
    Price is for the moment unbeatable for the quality it offers.

GREAT BLADE!:cool:

5. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

A Good Blade. I would rank these alongside the Israelis as a good general purpose blade. I do however think they are smoother on the first shave.

6. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

I didn't like these at first, but came back to them and found them to be great blades. Very smooth and gentle cutting, perfect blade for newbies to start with. Works well in any razor and cuts just fine on any soap or cream you choose. For the price, definately worth keeping around.

7. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Derby = Great Blade

I share these same sentiments. When I first used them, I didn't like them at all. Came back to them several months later on a whim, and they instantly became a top-3 blade in my opinion. Matter of fact, its probably my most-used blade and the blade I have the most stock of.

:happy088 for Derby Blades

8. hyperwarp

hyperwarp New Member

3rd Mow on a Derb is a True Delight

I love these blades. 1st shave on a fresh one can be a bit rough if you are not careful but you just gotta keep your attention focused. By the 2nd mow, the blade is very forgiving. 3rd mow is superb, way better than I get off much costlier blades.

:drool3rd shave on a Derb is not only forgiving it's loving & oh-so S-M-O-O-T-H!!!:drool

I could probably go 6 or 7 shaves on 1 Derb but after the 4th shave (which is almost as good as that unbeatable, wonderful 3rd mow), I lather up my chest & :pmow my chest hair:p, then tuck the blade into the blade safe & reload. By the way, the chesticular mow which is the 5th on the blade is very nice, never been cut even once shaving my chest.:roflFact, I'll only shave my chest with a DERB !!!!:rofl

Derbz are so economical that I don't feel the need to stretch'em to a full weeks worth of mowing plus by reloading after the 4th shave I get to the 3rd shave on the new blade faster.

9. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

excellent blades, but I'm a little nervous to use them on a steady basis.

Jeff

10. Zachster

Zachster Member

I've been using these daily for about six months now with no complaints -- nicks have become a thing of the past, and my shaves have been very close. Prior to that I'd used Feathers for some time, and always had to be extra careful to avoid razor burn, and before that U.S Personna's, which would tear me up if used for more than 3 shaves. This week I decided to mix things up again and delved into my sampler pack. Honestly, the only blade that's come close to the Derbys has been the Swedish Gillettes -- but given the price difference, Derby win hands down.

11. Woknblues

Woknblues New Member

Rock bottom price, baby bottom face

For my mug, nothing works better, and so cheaply as a Derby. Try them out, and see if they work for you, and be thankful if they do as they are among the "el cheapos" when compared to Feathers and Gillette swedes.

12. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

My go-to blade

This is the one blade I stock up on. The one that never fails to give me a super-close, super-smooth shave. There's just something about them that completely agrees with me.

I can get up to 7 shaves on a single blade, but usually use them about 5 times or so.

13. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

Great Blade For Me

I went through the small west coast sampler pack (Gillette Swedes, Feather, Crystal) and have settled on these as my daily blade. I've tried some of the other blades from Tryphon, but none of them compare to the almighty Derby. I only get 2 shaves out of one blade but that's likely due to technique.

Like a lot of others here, I didn't like them the first time I used them.

EDIT: I'm now getting 3-4 shaves out of one.

EDIT2: I like how I used the word "settled" in my initial review. These weren't so great around my adam's apple were I'd frequently get some red spots. I chalked it up to my technique (or lack there of). However, since trying a few more blades and finding a better one (for me) I've found that the irritation is gone, but returns when I go back to Derys.

14. Luxlover

Luxlover Member

Derby - one of my favorites

One of my favorite blades along with "wilkinson Economie", Astra Superior, and Gillette "7 O'Clock" in the yellow wrapper.

I use a slim-adjustable. The Derby just glides like there is no blade in there at all. Great BBS shaves, with two to three passes. WTG, XTG and sometimes ATG.
    No burn, irritation,etc. Excellent quality blade. I also think it is pretty sharp.
    The 7 O'Clock and the Astra do feel sharper.

Thanks,

Steve

15. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

Third favorite of my blades - behind Astra Superior Platinum and Crystals. Nice and sharp, and give a close shave, but I don't find them as smooth as the other two I mentioned. Great price, though.

16. kagemusha

kagemusha New Member

sharp and smooth

I love these blades. They give me smooth and close shaves anytime I use them in my Merkur 34C. The price and the quality are absolutely fabulous. I can easily get 5 shaves out of these. My skin is very sensitive and I have no problems whatsoever with Derby's. Recommended.

17. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Skin Unfriendly

My skin just did not take a shine to these. I tried them for a week solid even switching the blade after 3 uses. Still I received razor burn and more nicks than you can shake a styptic at.

They are sharp, they mow my hair well. I compared the edges just by eyeball to the Personna reds I use. It appears that the Deby's have a shallower grind than the Personnas. This is not by much maybe a millimeter or less but it is noticeable.

Again MHO.

18. rbaloha

rbaloha Member

Wow

Just received a merkur slant. Practiced with the merkur blade. Marginal results.

Inserted a derby. Extremely smooth with an incredible close shave. Felt as if no blade was even cutting across my face. Only required 1-2 passes as opposed to numerous with the merkur blade. Skin feels nice and refreshed.

Its hard to imagine that I could possibly receive a closer shave from a feather.

19. smooth_n_slick

smooth_n_slick New Member

One of the more hi end blades with a super neat price.......recommended, excellent quality and the last long

20. Wishoot

Wishoot Member

I have little basis for comparison, but after using these for a little over a month, I'm sold. I get 3-4 quality shaves out of these blades with no irritation. Put one in my Aristocrat and I get as close to a BBS shave as I need with 2 x WTG passes.

For the money, about $15 delivered to your door, they are hard to beat.