Derby

Discussion in 'Blade Reviews' started by Will, Feb 22, 2007.

1. CloseShaver

CloseShaver Member

The Derby Blade is not bad, but not great

I tried a 5 pack of the Derbys. For me they are smoother, but less sharp than the Crystals. A blade will last 3-4 days. The price is great. At times you can get a great shave, but most of the time it is above average. I do not get many nicks, but if you need a super close shave, the Derby blade is substandard. Overall for the price, it is not bad.

2. Special_K

Special_K New Member

Very smooth blade but just not sharp enough.

3. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Dull and only last for one shave. Skin friendliness is moderate as it tugs a little, but doesn't give any razor burn or nick easily. Overall not a blade for me.

4. beyboo

beyboo New Member

Its smoothness conquers everything bad about it

I ordered mine from Shavingessentials and put it in a Merkur. The first day was BBS, the next 2 were DFS. However I could pull on for 2 more days with pressure applied and the fact that it is a very smooth and forgiving blade...

5. DSB

DSB New Member

This has been one of my favorite blades. It works really well in my Gillette ball end tech. I find it to be very sharp and very, very, very smooth. I have never gotten a weeper or cut with this blade. If I've had a rough shave with another blade, I always return to my tech/derby combo for a few days. YMMV, but for me, a truly great blade.

6. Lara Croft

Lara Croft New Member

I really like the shave I get on my legs with the derbys. So far, my favorite blade....only tried 3

7. fleetstreet

fleetstreet New Member

I use the single edge Derby blades intended for straight razors. I personally think the overall quality of blades are based on the skill of the user. If you know what you're doing, these are great blades. You also can't beat the price of these 100 blades for $8!

8. Jeremysilverado

Jeremysilverado New Member

Derby baldes

Smooth. Could be more sharp but I think they wouldn't be as smooth or last as long. A trade off worth looking into.

9. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

A new favorite

After trying several different blades, I had chosen only one, the Feather, as my all time go to blade. Fast forward to a month ago. I traded my son some Lord platinum blades for some Derby blades. Wow! I am impressed!

A very forgiving blade without sacrificing quality for a close, painless shave. The best part for me, is the fact that the very first one that I tried lasted 7 solid days. The only reason I changed to a new one, was a superstitious dread of my luck running out. I didn't want to chance the odds of a possible bad shave by pushing it.

I have used these blades in 3 different razors. A Merkur Progress, Parker22R and a Gillette Red Tip. The Parker and the Red tip with these blades give a consistent close and smooth shave for a minimum of 5 to 6 days. The Merkur, I only get 3-4 days max.

Overall, for the price, these blades are a new favorite and worthy of a top spot in my rotation.

10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Perhaps it's because I've grown more discriminating over the past few years of DE shaving, but I just can't get the good shaves I got (or thought I got) from Derby's like when I first started out.

11. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Hhuuh..that's a tricky one..I wonder why...

12. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I liked them a lot when they first became available over here and I bought 100 of them. After that batch was used up, I bought another 100 and that batch was very inconsistent. I quickly discovered Gillette 7 o'clocks and Astra SPs and moved on.

13. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Guys... You can shave for 5 days for less than a Dime! What more do you want?

GDCarrington likes this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Maybe that's what's wrong with mine.

I've tried Astra and found them very good (better than Derby) and just found a 7 o'clock I didn't know I had. That's my next shave.

15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I want a decent blade, and Derby just isn't it for me.

16. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Oh, come on Steve. You would look good sporting a Derby. Here is one that is really nice.

[​IMG]

Oh, you meant Derby blades. Sorry, never mind, er, uh, carry on.

johnus and Smott like this.
  17. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

It should match the moustache nicely. :)

GDCarrington likes this.
  18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Ya know, Rich, I was thinking the exact same thing.
    That is nice, Gary. hmmm.... I do have some birthday money left over.

I showed my wife. She told me to tell you guys not to encourage me! :D

19. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I'm encouraging you Steve....I do think you would look stellar.....;)
    http://www.topsecrethats.com/Bowler-Hats/Christys-Fur-Standard-Bowler-Hat

Thats the finest bowler now being made I believe...and on the same site you can get a wool felt copy that looks the same but feels a little stiff and won't handle the elements...but that Fur felt you can were in the rain and snow and she'll protect you for many years....and she's not too stiff so you can shape the brim for personalizing....;)

GDCarrington likes this.
  20. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I don't think its you....The QC seems to have gone out the window on the Derbs of recent vintage....It's hard for independant co's. to stay in business against the majors...Derby managed to not sell to P&G but they had to change their production methods to stay in the game....So after the Horizontal Derbs finnished the consistancy changed....Also....BEWARE....I've gotten conterfiet Derbs that were awful...and I've been told thats becoming a prob.....:(....I just threw away 5 packs of conterfiets....wouldn't have piffed them to my worse enemy....

GDCarrington likes this.