Detailed Review Of the Lutz Slant Bar Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by NDMyers, Mar 24, 2016.

1. NDMyers

NDMyers Member

The Lutz Slant Bar Razor:

One line summary:

Quite an aggressive razor, but rough and inefficient compared to other slants if you have a coarse beard. Probably not very good value for money at current prices.

Detailed Review:

The Razor:

The Lutz slant bar razor is unique. Manufactured in the 1930s and repackaged in the 1960s. It's made of Zamak and chromed. Zamak (formerly trademarkedas ZAMAKand also known as Zamac) is a family of alloyswith a base metal of zincand alloying elements of aluminium (4%) ,magnesium, and copper. This makes the razor light in the hand.

The Lutz two sides of the razor head vary: One is somewhat mild and one more aggressive offering a wider gap. The razor is set with the base plate in such a way that the wider set teeth on one side of the top plate present the more aggressive side, and the closer set teeth the milder side. Even the mild side is rather aggressive. This is effectively an “adjustable” slant bar razor with two settings. It has a hexagonal, rather short and slim, art deco handle and is reminiscent of the Merkur barber pole razor in design.

Here is my review based on three uses of the razor.

A little about me for context: I'm a fairly experienced DE shaver and I think my technique is more than passable. Why? Well, I regularly get BSS shaves, and very rarely nick or cut myself. I also can do this without burn or irritation. I enjoy experimenting with lots of different razors so I'm fairly adaptable. I especially enjoy aggressive razors. So I think my technique is OK. Could it be improved? Yes. I aim to improve on every shave.

I have a fairly coarse, fast growing beard, and moderately sensitive skin. I use the same routine for each shave when testing and reviewing razors or blades. I wash my face thoroughly twice with Van der Hagen glycerin soap. Then I apply a Maggard pre-shave oil. Wet my face again, and use an Arko shave stick to produce a thick plentiful lather. I use a 26 mm Stirling soap synthetic knot brush. Post shave I use an alum block, and Thayer's alcohol-free, rose scented, witch hazel.

I'm familiar with slants as I've used and like the Merkur 37C. I also own and have used an Ikon Shavercraft 102 slant, though I find it a little mild for my beard.

For this review I decided to try three shaves on consecutive days. The blade I chose was the Rapira Platinum Lux. Why? I've found this blade to be a superior and consistent performer in any type of razor I have.

Using adjustable razors like the Mergress (modified Merkur Progress), the Gillette Slim and the Merkur Futur, I have, like others, discovered that increasing the aggression of the razor as one continues the shave produces the best results. At first this was surprising but testing I (along with others) have found this to be true.

Following this logic I decided to use the mild side of the razor to do the WTG pass, and the XTG pass. For the AGT pass and to do any buffing or touch up I decided to use the more aggressive side of the razor.

Shave One:

Quite a good shave on all three passes. One small weeper on the XTG pass, very, very unusual for me with any razor. A lot of touch up was needed and I still didn't get a BSS. Close but not quite BSS and I cannot say the razor was very comfortable to use. Feedback from the alum block was noticeable on the neck area. Sometimes it takes a shave or two to get used to a razor. Let's hope tomorrow's shave is better.

Shave Two:

I more used to the razor now. It's light and is easy to maneuver around the contours of my face. It's very hard to produce a clean shave around the neck XTG. On the more aggressive side the shaver cuts close but feels rough. ATG it is again harsh in feel but not that aggressive. It produces a good shave but not BSS. Even successive touch ups do not produce an especially smooth shave along the neck, under the jawline, or ATG on the chin. A lot of feedback from the alum block. The razor jusr cannot be described as comfortable and efficient.

Shave Three:

The first two passes were tolerable but not pleasant. The first pass WTG managed to produce a nick. I literally cannot remember nicking myself using even really aggressive razors on the WTG pass. The XTG pass felt very uncomfortable, I got two weepers, but reduced the beard to some degree. As I began to make the ATG pass the blade and razor became so uncomfortable I stopped. It felt like it was about to cut me severely. There is no way I wanted to shave ATG under the nose, or AGT along the jawline with this razor at this point.

Now it gets interesting because I was dissatisfied with the shave and I wanted to see if the blade had run out of life or would work in another razor. So I took it out and put it in my Merkur Futur. I cranked it up to setting five and made a pass ATG. The blade performed fairly well and I got no nicks or cuts yet reduced the beard more. I touched up using the same blade with the Futur at its highest setting, six. No cuss or weepers. Did I get a BSS. No. But I did get a very close shave that continues to look clean thirteen hours later.

Now for me this proved that there was life in the blade, but that once it declined beyond a certain point, the razor could not handle it Yet another razor could. So its not the blade, but the razor that's inefficient. Sure you could blame my technique, but I feel that my technique is more than passable, even with a new razor.

Conclusion:

I really wanted to like this cool looking razor. Is it aggressive? Yes fairly. Is it efficient? No. My other slants are more efficient and much more comfortable to boot, as are several of my open combs, adjustable razor,s and even aggressive TTO razors like the Pearl TTO, or a Gillette Super Speed Red Tip.

The Lutz slant bar razor is just too rough and inefficient to keep in my rotation. This is not to say it couldn't work for others, perhaps with lighter beards, or tougher skin, but I think you will find that the $50 to $80 this razor currently fetches is better spent elsewhere.

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Where are the pictures?

RaZorBurn123, AGHisBBS and Keithmax like this.
  3. NDMyers

NDMyers Member

Sorry, I'm low tech!

PLANofMAN likes this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I've got one, that I've had for a while. I enjoyed the shaves, very much. I just enjoy the Fatboy Razor better. I'm not a big fan of slants. I just prefer other razors. They are cool looking.
    I did find it shaved just as well as a Merkur 37C, when I did a head to head comparison.

5. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Again in this business YMMV carries the day. I've been using a Lutz D.S. for about 6 months now and find it to be a smooth and close shaver, much smoother than my 37C. However the razor is blade specific as I had to try several blades before settling on a Polsilver Brown as my main driver. I rotate the Lutz monthly with 37C. Thanks for taking the time for a great review.

RyX and AGHisBBS like this.
  6. NDMyers

NDMyers Member

Yes, it's true, some razors just like some blades better. I'll probably try a few more in the Lutz. Apart from the Plosilve what blades did you like? I really like the look of the Lutz and would love to find a blade it marries well to. So far this has been the least favorite of my slants. The Merkur 37 C is far more efficient in my estimation and so is the more expensive and hard to find Ikon 102.

7. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I like mine the cap has to go on in a certain way to get the difference in exposures. The first time time I used it I was surprised by how well it shaved.. Not to discount your experience check the blade exposure and rotate the cap 180 you should see the difference. The guy who sells them has a video I believe explaining this.

RyX and preidy like this.
  8. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

The Gillette Platium and Platium Lux worked almost as well for me. In the 37C the G-Platium and Crystal are my go to. I still can't decide which side of the Lutz I like best.

RyX likes this.
  9. riprorin

riprorin New Member

I have been using a Lutz slant razor with a Feather blade for about a week. I am getting very close shaves with little irritation. I am very pleased with the Lutz and it was a great purchase for $38 NOS.

10. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm not sure if knowing the angle of the slant is a thing. In this photo you can see how much twist is applied to the blade.
    Luts Slant Angle.png
    I received my Lutz in a trade of gear. It came wrapped in paper in the cardboard box with a 10 pack of carbon steel blades and a single stainless blade.
    Lutz package and blades.gif

PLANofMAN, TestDepth and jmudrick like this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've fiddled with mine but can't seem to tell the difference between mild & aggressive. During a shave I rotated the cap in respect to the base but it seemed to be the same blade feel either way. Next time I use it I'll look for a difference of blade exposure.

Redfisher likes this.
  12. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

My favorite razor is iKon X3, which should be somehow based on Lutz slant. As it looks like you do not like yours, please feel free to PM me if you would ever want to get rid of it. I would like to give a Lutz a try, and considering how I like X3, I might actually like it.

RyX likes this.
  13. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Thank you for the review NDMyers. I've not heard of the Lutz slant brofore your review. Always learning around here (which is why I like TSD so much). I'm not a big slant fan but do have an Above The Tie closed comb slant (which is quite mild for a slant) that I quite like and is part of my regular rotation. I really enjoyed your review of the Lutz slant but it doesn't sound like a razor for me (sounds a little too harsh).

14. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

This link is where this guy talks about blade gap and the position of the top cap. It's been a while since I had mine out but that is the way I remember it. He also goes on about some other stuff that may or may not be correct but check it out.

RyX likes this.