Did I buy the wrong razor??

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by pal251, May 11, 2008.

1. pal251

pal251 New Member

Hi everyone I am brand new to this double edge shaving...I used to use mach 3 or whatever was on sale at the time. I usually get very bad razor burn/ingrown hair and irritation when I shave so I decided to use a double edge to maybe fix it. I shave in the shower everytime I shave also. Well I bought a Merkur "Long Classic" Open-Comb but I wonder if I shouldn't have bought an open comb... What is an open comb for?

2. Will

Will Nevermind

Open comb means the safety bar is missing, some say it gets them a closer shave (and looks cool to boot).

You did fine, you can still learn on that razor. I personally do not suggest an open comb for a starter DE but it uses the same technique as a razor with a bar.

3. pal251

pal251 New Member

I keep hearing about a Gillette "new" where would I get one of those razors? ebay or what? I am in the process of trying to find a vintage razor that is not a copy...I also need to pick up some other blades besides the 10 pack of merkurs that I bought with the razor. I picked it up from classicshaving.com

4. Will

Will Nevermind

EBay it.

I also would suggest checking out a 1940's Gillette Super Speed and Gillette Adjustable.

Blades Sample Pack

West Coast Shaving
    Razor and Brush
    Suffolk Supplies

Happy Hunting (sniping) ;)

5. pal251

pal251 New Member

I just bidded on a gillette adjustable on ebay for $12.00 I dont know what the going price is on it.

I found a brush when I was cleaning my late grandmas house out what is made by "Fuller" and on the other side of it is some more writing but I cant read it. I'll check out the gillette speed razor also. For as cheap as they are it doesn't hurt to try the other ones.

6. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Adjustables are great de razors- but they're not the best for learning to shave with a de, mainly because you haven't got a set technique yet. If you do get an adjustable, I'd recommend you leave it on a low setting and focus on developing good technique.

Whatever razor you choose, you might try sticking with it for a while (say about 6 months to a year) while you learn how to shave with a de. Technique is key; in my opinion, it's more important than the razor (provided that you have a decent one).

7. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

+1. There are also a lot of razors that go up on sale on the BST forum. Personally, I'd recommend any closed comb non adjustable razor to start with. Pick one, buy a smalllll sample pack and try a few blades. Which ever you feel comfortable with go out and buy enough of them to last you 6 months or so (say 3 shaves per blade or so) and than stick with one razor one blade until your technique is good and you are irritation free. Than go out and buy every pretty razor your see :D

8. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

I disagree. A Gillette adjustable is just fine to learn how to use a DE. I learned to use a DE with a Gillette Slim and Fat Boy without any problems or irritation. Just set it on 3 and shave. Your technique will improve with time. Again, set it at 3 and shave. Drop the Merkur blades. Get a sample pack.

Raf

9. pal251

pal251 New Member

Where on the forum is a good place to look at various shaving techniques for someone that gets real bad irritation on neck when shaving

10. Will

Will Nevermind

11. pal251

pal251 New Member

Ok, I posted on it. Thanks

12. Mr. Igg

Mr. Igg New Member

Really good advice, Jay! I just did that over the past severa months, with results exactly as you advertised: irritation free BBS shaves.