Did I do good? Won e-bay for a Henckels Twin Works #50

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by J.R., Feb 6, 2016.

1. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

mrchick likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Since the ebay listing won't stay up forever (i don't think) I got a Henckel Twin Works #50 for $56, first pic was the thumbnail,

Title: Vintage Straight Razor Solingen Germany Original Box, Never Used
    Description: Solingen Germany Straight Razor, J.A. Henckels, Twin Works, New York. Still in original box, appears to have never been used. Like-new condition on this vintage item. Includes original papers in English, French, Spanish and German.

So I can see someone missing it, I almost did too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    BeShaved, ninjack, preidy and 4 others like this.
  3. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

I don't use a straight though I would like to own one and yours is one beautiful blade. They have a fantastic reputation for their household cutlery. I'm bet it's a great shaver.
    Congratulations!

... To be continued...
    wine-3.GIF
    Don

J.R. likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Yeah, my go to kitchen knife is a Hinckel, also have the paring knife and bread knife. If the straight is in that quality range, I'm sure it's all good.

RyX and Dzia Dzia like this.
  5. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    You did very well...

Looks like you scored a Twins for a good price that is in great shape...

Clean it, Hone it, and Enjoy it :p

J.R. likes this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

I'm pretty stoked! Was looking for a strop and found a great craigslist deal, meeting up later today. Been a lucky weekend!

7. MattCB

MattCB Well-Known Member

Nice looking blade, well done!

J.R. likes this.
  8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    You got a hell of a deal.

J.R. likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Anyone have any idea on when it was made? It looks like this logo was used from 1900-1968, but that all I found.

10. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

My favorite brand at a bargain price. They shave with the best of the best.

J.R. likes this.
  11. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

You should be able to get a good razor out of it, but the picture showing it fully opened looks to my eye like there is corrosion on the blade edge. You'll need to hone through that. It doesn't look like it's too severe, though, and the rest of the razor looks great. Good find!

BeShaved and J.R. like this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

I plan to sent it out to a pro for honing, along with a Dovo I may be picking up tonight. I can't tell if it's JPG artifacts or corrosion in the pics. Definitely looks like some light staining on the shank. Could just be reflections too. Hopefully still usable. It shipped today, so I will know in a few days.

13. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

Even if it is rust, you should be fine with sending it out. It doesn't look like enough to be a blade killer. I wondered if it was the photo too, but there appears to be a shape to it, which usually means it is real. Good luck!

J.R. likes this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Mr. Oldschool is correct. There is what looks to me minor edge damage. But it is in great shape overall, to my very untrained eye.
    [​IMG]
    Edge:
    [​IMG]
    other side. Some minor staining on the tip. I am adjusting exposure to bring it out more than it looks to the eye.
    [​IMG]

Shank, the jibs have some staining/light rust
    [​IMG]
    Again, I am bringing it out more than it looks to the eye.
    [​IMG]

BeShaved and ninjack like this.
  15. ninjack

ninjack Well-Known Member

It's beautiful. I am watching one on Ebay right now, they are asking $119. plus $12. to ship from Japan. It is new old stock. They are great looking razors. Congratulations on yours.

BeShaved likes this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Good luck! Mine is en route to Glen for honing, can't wait to get it back and try it out.

gssixgun likes this.
  17. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    I am going to try and get some USB Micro pics of that edge up here in this thread when the razor arrives
    It should be a good help to see what is what for those shopping for razors :)

MattCB, BeShaved, J.R. and 1 other person like this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Awesome! I know I need educated! USPS tracking says out for delivery today.

19. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Really SWEET razor :D

Now that I have it up here in the Northwoods I can tell ya "You really scored" :)

The edge is a bit rough but nothing that a little work on the hones will not fix

Front Section:

[​IMG]

Middle:

[​IMG]

Heel Section:

[​IMG]

This gives everyone an idea of what just that tiny bit of corrosion can hide on the edge,,

20. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Wow! I'm glad it isn't too serious. It looks pretty rough.. It's amazing how hard it was to spot in the Ebay pics. Really looking forward to trying it out! Thanks!

gssixgun likes this.