Different New - curious

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by rodd, Mar 4, 2009.

1. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

I'm pretty sure it is shorter. Those belong to Arik (Cutting_Edge). I think the two left of it are New Deluxe Big Fellows or New Deluxe Big Boys (probably depending on the case) and the shorter one is just a NEW Big Boy.

2. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

I posted this theory on the other site:

I know that the Red and Black Sets were advertised as including a "Gillette Razor" along with Blue Blades, but they never specified which Gillette razor. I have seen many examples of both of the common bar Gillette New variations with the case and Krumholz mentions the fact that Techs were even included in some. They had most likely purchased a huge supply of these cases. It is not out of the question that Gillette would have used up in stock parts to assemble a number of razors that would fit the existing case. I don't think it is a New Improved barrel though. The New DeLuxe barrel has the exact same design but doesn't carry the patent date as does the New Improved barrel if I remember correctly (I have since noticed it does, but a non-stamped stock barrel could have just as easily been used). Here is my New DeLuxe and a common bar. What if they used a New Norfolk knob, a New Deluxe barrel and a New common bar neck, guard and cap?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Guido, great points. I am really thinking now that this is an original. The neck is actually different than the common New neck, different than any other I have seen actually, but I think it is one of the many razors Gillette put together with parts of others. Since there are other inconsistencies, like the neck and the lack of a stamp, which makes since since the head has the patent info, I really think this is just some rarity.

4. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

If the tube were to be from a New standard or bostonian or equivalent, the neck would have to be different because those didn't unscrew from the base.

5. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Have you compared the neck to a neck on a ball end, pocket edition New? Now that would be cool if they used parts from four different New models (ball end; Norfolk; DeLuxe; and common bar) to assemble this guy.

6. Hanspleasure

Hanspleasure New Member

Is it possible the person or persons assembling this razor used the wrong components? Maybe a newbie on the job with little training?
    Eh.. just a thought.

7. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I looked through all of my razors, and looked through the ones on Achim's site and can't find another with that neck. Maybe I am missing something. See where it butts against the barrel, it gets totally flat and goes right in to the barrel. I think it is a combination of parts, but with 2 unique ones. The barrel, just because it is un-stamped, and the neck. Strange, but I can't think of another reason.
    Yeah, who knows. The neck could even be a second or something that didn't come out right.

8. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

It is possible that the neck was tooled especially for this razor. It needed to be able to properly fit the common long toothed head AND ALSO fit the DeLuxe barrel. It is quite possible that none of the standard necks could accomplish both of these tasks. I would imagine that tooling the necks would be fairly minor undertaking as compared to any of the other pieces.

9. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Wild, I just saw another one on ebay.
    [​IMG]

10. riffin

riffin Active Member

11. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I threw a low bid in thanks to Guido for pointing it out. This is the third one and all three have that strange neck. I am fairly certain now that these are legit.