Different razors?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by waynejitsu, Nov 1, 2010.

1. waynejitsu

waynejitsu New Member

I am new, so, was wondering,
    1- What razors everyone uses?
    2- What razor do you think is the best?
    3- The best razor for the price?
    4- How does the old razors (Gillette SS, Slim, red, blue, fat, etc) compare to new razors- Merur, Parker (the only 2 I found)

Thanks!

2. travlnawlday

travlnawlday New Member

I have a Parker TTO Heavy Duty Chrome DE razor 82R. I also have a Edwin Jagger Chrome DE razor Model DE89L. My favorite of the 2 is the Edwin Jagger for weight, size and price. I currenty don't own and have never used any of the Gillette razors even though I have always wanted to try the Gillette adjustable. Hope this helps.

3. bordeaaj

bordeaaj New Member

1- What razors everyone uses?
    I have about 6 or 7 Merkur Slants, Open-Combs, and Adjustables and 10 or 12 of the most popular Gillettes and I'm easily able to get BBS shaves with any of them...I like them all a lot.

2- What razor do you think is the best?
    My favorites are the Merkur Slants and Progress for the smooth, comfortable shaves and the Gillette Fat Boy for the same reason. The lower priced Slim and Super shave just as well (some, including Gillette, would argue even better)...however, many, myself included, who buy other vintage Gillette options based on cost eventually end up shelling out the $$$ for the Fat Boy anyway because of it's famous reputation as not only a great shaver but also as one of Gillettes first and best looking adjustables. I have to agree, the Fat Boy is a beautiful piece of history and very nice to have on the shelf. I bought the Slim first and though it gave me perfectly good shaves I was always wondering what I was missing with the Fat Boy...somehow I don't think the wondering is quite as intense the other way around.

3- The best razor for the price?
    The adjustables like the Progress, Fat Boy, Slim, and Super are great values as they are like getting several razors in one...just dial up a notch or two as you're learning and you've got a whole new razor without the extra cost!

4- How does the old razors (Gillette SS, Slim, red, blue, fat, etc) compare to new razors- Merkur, Parker
    If I was forced to choose favorites I would go with the Merkurs as they seem to provide slightly smoother, more effortless shaves for me...esp the Slants and the Progress.

Have fun with the conversion! :D

4. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

1) Ask 20 people here and you'll get 30 answers. Mostly DE razors, a few straights, and a rare cartridge. I'm in the DE group.
    2) Just my opinion, but I like a vintage Super Speed or Fatboy best.
    3) Either a Super Speed or Tech - but definitely vintage to get the best deal.
    4) I'm a bigger fan of the vintage razors, but you'll find pretty even mix of opinion. Of course, I haven't tried the currently trendy Edwin Jagger razors. The trends is lasting long enough, I'm starting to believe they're the best of the current production models.

5. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

:signs046 Welcome to the group!
    Myself, mostly Schick injectors, with some Single Edge, Double Edge, and even cartridge razors thrown in for variety.
    Seriously, there's no good way to answer that. If you're looking at starting with DE razors, take a look at this thread.
    Really no good answer to that, either, just a lot of good choices.
    Possibly better build quality on the vintage ones, but varying opinions on which give the better shave, particularly compared to modern Merkur or Edwin Jagger razors for example. Also with vintage razors be prepared to clean them up, and you may run into the occasional mechanical problem.

Parker razors have a slightly dodgy reputation, it seems, although the one I got was good enough.

With my favorite injectors and SE razors, vintage is the only option.;)

6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Nothing beats a good SE razor. IMO. You can pick up a nice 1912 model for a very little amount of ching and it will give nice smooth close comfy shaves. Depending on your loction the blades can be a bit harder to find and more expensive though.

Having said that the vintage DE stuff is my preference. With a Tech or Super Speed being a good beginner razor.

7. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

I use a mixture of DE, SE and Injector razors. I prefer the SE razor over the other two types although I have some of each in my rotation. Click on the link to my Shave Stuff shown in my signature.

My vote here goes with the 1912 GEM, GEM Jr or Ever Ready. They are the same razor and a great one for learning how to use an SE razor. On the other hand since most guys begin with DE razors I would recommend a vintage Gillette Tech DE or the one I started with the Merkur 34C HD.

The answer to this one will vary greatly. How much do you want to spend? Do you want a pretty razor or one that is a great user version of that pretty razor. Do you want a new razor or a vintage one. I don't think there is a really good answer to that one. Just one bit or warning, stay away from eBay until you learn more about vintage razors. If it is vintage you want then look in the various buy/sell forums of the wetshaving forums for good razors at fair prices.

This one you will find varying opinions. I began with a new Merkur 34 C and really enjoyed it. But once I got into the vintage razors I sold the Merkur and now go strictly with the vintage stuff. You will have to be patient, read all the forums and actually decide which razor you want to try. If you don't like it someone else out there will and you can sell it in the various buy/sell forums.

Good luck with your venture into traditional wetshaving.

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Answers so far are right on.

If you want to see what folks are using everyday, check out the SOS Thread.

I use a DE on Mon-Fri, a str8 on Sat, and an SE on Sun. Every day is a different razor among all of them.

9. I have two razors, a popular feather, and a chrome merkur ... I just started this hobby, and I hope to increase my collection .. for the best razor I would say that they are inexperienced in the field to give advice. so far the feather with 18 euro seems a good buy, especially for those who just started this experience ...

10. Oldguy

Oldguy Member

There is no way to say what is the best razor, only the best for you. Safety razors have been around for a long time starting with the single edge of the late 1800's and the double edge from the early 1900's. I like the older, vintage razors the best. I can choose a razor from every decade starting in 1904 right up to the 1980's. They are all different and give a slightly different shave. They are both fun to use and give great shaves when used with a good blade. My vote is to go vintage and my choice is Gillette.

Len

11. bordeaaj

bordeaaj New Member

I probably should have included the SE razors in my previous post, as well! I also like the Schick injectors, the 1912-type SE razors, and SE-compatible lather catchers. They always surprise me with how effective they are. The injectors are so easy to use there is almost no learning curve when converting from a cartridge. The only real drawback with SE blades (injectors excluded) is that they only last for a couple shaves before the edge gets uncomfortable, at least for me anyway. :D

12. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

Going against the grain here a little.. (pun entirely intended)..

While I have a few vintage DE's, A Superspeed, Fat Boy, ABC Pocket, Gem SE and a few old made new again.. a TTO Twist with a CoonCatBob Bull Mastiff handle.. My favorite is goes with the new technology. iKon Razors are by far top of my list. They are a sensory rich experience feeling perfect in the hand, great on the face and repeatedly delivering perfect shaves...

The Mergress and Futur both had spots in my rack, but the Futur is now gone. The Mergress gets little use.

Also at the top of my list, but on the vintage side, is a Hoffritz Slant, but it's been updated with a CoonCatBob Ultra Lite handle..

Best for the price? Maybe a SuperSpeed..

13. bordeaaj

bordeaaj New Member

I would agree that the Super Speeds are great shavers and many can be had for between $10-20 (sometimes even less) except maybe the more coveted Red Tip. However, the biggest bang for the buck still seems to be an adjustable Gillette Slim or Super which can often be found in the $20 range. With a Gillette Adjustable it's like you're getting 9 razors for the price of 1.

Though it's really up to your own particular priorities which one to start with, vintage or new, adjustable or non, most likely you're going to end up with several of each anyway...and that's half the fun! :D