Disappointed with Derby

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by CoinsAndMore, Nov 1, 2011.

1. CoinsAndMore

CoinsAndMore New Member

I'm sure this will stir up a hornet's nest, but I have to say it. I'm disappointed with my recent trial of Derby blades. I'd heard they were very good, and looked forward to giving them a test drive.

For me, they managed to be both too sharp, and yet inefficient. I've tried them in my Slim set on 5, 4 and 3, and in my Super Speed. In all cases (over several shaves), I've gotten weepers or worse (which almost never happens otherwise).

For all that, the next day I have stubble like I've skipped a day or more. I know some of you enjoy shaving for the sake of it, and I can understand that position. For me, I like wet shaving because I get a nice close shave. Close enough I can skip a day if I'm pushed for time and it's still at least as good as an electric on day one. Not the case with the Derbys.

They did work better in the Super Speed than the Slim. Perhaps they don't like adjustables? I haven't broken out a Tech, Single Ring or Krona to try that. They seem thicker/stiffer than my standard Russian 7 O'Clocks. Definitely sharper.

2. vegaskid74

vegaskid74 Member

Of course different blades perform differently in different razors, with different soaps or creams, on different faces, with different phases of the moon, blah, blah, blah, YMMV, etc. etc., but for what it's worth, the Derby is the only blade I've sworn never to use again, in any razor, ever, eternally.

3. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Blades are the most subjective thing in wet shaving. With that said, I have never liked Derbys. They don't work well for me at all. They aren't smooth, they tug and pull, and leave me with weepers and irritation. So I don't use them. However, I do have some left and maybe at some point down the road I will give them another shot and see what happens. You never know. Of course YMMV and I know they work for some, just not me.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

hmmm... 3 posts, and now a 4th - none of them with anything good to say about Derby.

But that's me.

5. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

Which other blades have you tried?

6. CoinsAndMore

CoinsAndMore New Member

No too many really. I tried some Dorcos, Schicks and store brands. I came into a large supply of the 7 O'Clocks, and I've been pleased with them, but I got curious and bought the sample pack. I'd heard a lot of people like the Derby's, so I tried them first.

Suggestions on the next? I'd thought perhaps the Personnas. I'm curious about Feathers, but I don't think they were included.

7. swarden43

Derby blades are like the Cowboys - folks either love 'em or hate 'em.

I'm the latter for both! :scared003:

supe likes this.
  8. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I am not a fan of them either. When I started last year, Derby was talked about quite a lot. I simply could not wait to use a Derby. A big let down for sure. I tried them again the other day; still not a fan.

9. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I've yet to use a Derby, old stock or new stock, that gave me a good shave so no surprise here...

10. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I bought a hundred of the things when I started out before I even tried them. I don't like them either.

11. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

I find this:

In my red tip, I can use:
    -Any personnas, derbys, astra platinum, gillettes

In my Merkur HD, EJ89:
    -Personna red, Voskhod, Iridium, Wilkonson

I also find the first 3 shaves of the new style derbys are OK but will surprisingly push another weeks worth of smooth shaves, and it's my only blade that will last that long.

12. swarden43

Exactly why I don't advize bulk purchases on untried blades.

otherstar likes this.
  13. Mechguy

Mechguy Well-Known Member

Some blades don't work well with certain razors, and some blades just seem to not work for certain people or facial hair.
    I would recomend you go out and buy a sampler pack of blades from a good vendor, and work through them. Get a pack or two of a bunch of different blades.

You had a bad experience with the Derby's, put them aside and ignore them for six or eight months. When your technique improves or you get better with a certain razor, go back and try them again. Many blades that I considered garbage, were actually pretty good once I learned better technique.

That's my opinion, take it or leave it.

14. swarden43

Sound advice.
    Many would be wise to take it.

15. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Agreed.

16. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

Great advice! This has worked for me as well (though I must confess I have only found one blade that doesn't work that well for me because I find them too sharp--Feathers).

17. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

Guess I'm lucky. Derbys are my favorite blades. I have about 600 of them. Need to get more. They work well for me in all of my DE razors.
    I've had mixed results with Personna platinum chrome and stainless steel blades.

I can't get Williams shave soap to lather well to save my life, without mixing it with a bit of Godrej Rich Foam shave cream.
    Some people absolutely love Williams soap.

Everything about this wonderful traditional wetshaving sickness is YMMV to the extreme.
    That's part of what makes it so much fun.

18. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I used to use Derbys a lot, but have since discovered other blades I like much better. Derbys for me are like driving a full sized pickup truck with offroad tires. A bit brutish, but good in their own way if you can get the feel for them. I found they work best in heavier weighted razors such as my Fatboy or Slim, where the draggy feel is offset by the razor weight. I can still get a decent shave from them provided I take extra care around my neck.

19. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Personnas are nice. I think of them as a middle of the road blade. They aren't crazy sharp but not dull either. I still have about 80 blades left but plan on moving onto something else when they are gone. Maybe astray or something. I should mention that I am talking about the Red Pack Persona blades.

Feathers are also great blades! They are able to mow through anything! The only issue I have with these are they last for 3 shaves and then rip my face apart after that. To me it isn't worth the money for a blade that lasts for 3 shaves. My brother swears by them...but he lives in japan where they are cheap.

20. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

I've also heard people talk about disliking the blades, but I frequently use them on my face (moderately tough beard) and my wife uses them on her legs, and we both like them just fine. Never understood the dislike, but again, one man's treasure is another man's poison, right?? :)

otherstar likes this.