Display Case Build

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by B Wade, Feb 16, 2018.

1. B Wade

B Wade Well-Known Member

So I’m building a display case for my straight razors with functional use in mind. Rather than recreate the wheel I’m using a frame that I picked up and building in the support for the shadow box behind it. I’m staining that to match the frame and will hinge the frame to open outwards so I can shave with the razors. Originally I was planning on having it in the bathroom but the logistics of dealing with the air and moisture seemed like to much trouble. I have permission to put it up in another room, all I had to do was give up some design control to the wife .

Figured you guys might like to see pictures of the end results and process. I’ll post those as I get to them. Any advice or criticism that I haven’t thought of is always welcome of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

You might want to make the stain a contrast. It's very difficult to exactly match stains put on a commercial display frame, especially if it's one of those weird stain lacquer jobs. A deliberate contrast looks less distracting than very slight colour/depth differences. If you have children, you might want to make sure that there's a latch on it. A lock if it's a side or bottom opening, or at least a good latch if it's top opening and out of normal 'child' reach.

B Wade, Billyfergie and TestDepth like this.
  3. B Wade

B Wade Well-Known Member

Think that is a fair assessment on the contrast stain. May consider that. A lock will probably be a smart move in the future but not necessary at this time. I may still put a lock on though just to future proof. Both good calls, thanks!

4. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Always love to see new and unique ways to display razors. I look forward to following.

DaltonGang, Waate, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  5. Waate

Waate Member

I have a spring time project in Garage waiting for me. I would love to see others tricks and ideas.

B Wade likes this.
  6. B Wade

B Wade Well-Known Member

Alright time for some progress pictures. As I said I started with a standard 16x20 frame.
    [​IMG]

Next step was cutting the pieces for the back of the frame that the razors will sit in. Got those cut a couple days ago and moved to the staining this afternoon. I used a dark gel stain that I have had good results with in the past.
    [​IMG]

Once the staining was done I left them to dry and moved to the backing for the display. I ended up buying a yard of Navy Suede material that had a nice sheen to it that I thought would contrast the gold of the frame and many of my razors. Used 3M Super 77 spray on the wood backboard and pressed the suede material into it. Once the glue had dried a bit I used a razor blade to cut out the excess material.
    [​IMG]

Now that the backboard was ready and drying I moved to the hooks for the razors. I decided I’m going to go with an arrangement of 2 columns of 7 razors. The razors will be held by 1/2” brass shoulder hooks. One of the decisions I was debating was whether to leave the blades parallel to the ground or the scales. I had seen both done and could not decide which way to go. When playing with it I determined that using 3 hooks per razor with the scales parallel to the ground was much more stable and allowed much less sliding around of the razors.

I used graph paper to align the hooks at equal distances. Once the backing is dry I have a full piece of 16x20 graph paper that I will pin up to place the hooks and then once it’s all done the paper can be ripped off.
    [​IMG]

That’s all for today. Going to let everything sit and dry. May start putting it together tomorrow. Let me know if you have any other questions.

7. B Wade

B Wade Well-Known Member

Put most of it together today. Started by putting the glass in the frame.
    [​IMG]

Next took the pieces of the back and glued it and clamped it it all together.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Lastly I flipped it over and put the backboard for the display in.
    [​IMG]

Going to let it all dry and harden for a day or two. I’ll Probably finish the project on Tuesday. [​IMG]

Enrico, CarlfromMO, Marine68 and 5 others like this.
  8. TestDepth

Wow! I am really enjoying this build. Thank you for sharing and this is going to look awesome!

9. B Wade

B Wade Well-Known Member

Thank you! I am very pleased with how it has come together. Looking forward to getting it up this week. Think the wife is looking forward to it to. There can be only so much tolerance for razors strewn about and Flitz up to your elbows around the place . [​IMG]

Enrico, CarlfromMO, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  10. B Wade

B Wade Well-Known Member

And finally after a couple touch ups and slight tweaks this week we have a final product. Really pleased with how this turned out. Display swings open completely functionally and balanced and I’m a big fan of the Navy suede and gold finish. Now the razors that aren’t getting the use they deserve don’t have to be relegated a box anymore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And of course this post wouldn’t be complete without a better shot of the goods.

[​IMG]

I’d be happy to answer any other questions or comments anyone has.

jimjo1031, Enrico, CarlfromMO and 7 others like this.
  11. Bookworm

I can see only one major thing wrong.

There's no space for more razors.

12. Bookworm

Seriously - you might want to pick up some LED tape. They make some that are angled out at 45 degrees, perfect for lining a display cabinet. I have a strip at home, I'll try to get the information off of it later tonight. Add a battery box that uses rechargeables (I'd suggest 18650's), and a switch, and you can flip it on and sit back and enjoy the glow from all the steel and brass.

Edit - maybe label tape under each one? "Wade and Butcher, approx. 1910" (or whatever)

TestDepth likes this.
  13. B Wade

B Wade Well-Known Member

If we’re being honest there’s still like 12 razors that don’t deserve to be relegated to a box haha. But a display can only be so big (and still be wife approved)

Pilotcld and TestDepth like this.
  14. Marine68

Marine68 Well-Known Member

Should read "Break Glass Incase Of Emergency"

Pilotcld, jeraldgordon and Bookworm like this.
  15. B Wade

B Wade Well-Known Member

That’s a really interesting idea. I’d be interested in any more info you have.

16. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

It turned out fantastic. Nicely done!

17. Bookworm

The light's just a variation of what I have on my stone egg/sphere display case. It has light rope on the inside of the door. When you flip it on (it plugs into the wall), it glows evenly around the entire periphery of the case. (Glass shelves). I need to see about changing it out for batteries and LED light rope so there's no power cord on it anymore, but it works, and that's more important.

With the light tape, they make all sorts - warm white, bright white, and multi-coloured. I can see it now - a disco effect inside your case! Epileptics would never dare touch your razor collection.

Ah - PC modification sites might also be a good place to look. They do lots of inside lighting effects that run on 12 volt.

TestDepth likes this.
  18. Bookworm

"In case of Leroy Brown, break Glass?" (he has a razor in his shoe)

19. TestDepth

Awesome to see your vision get executed so well - tremendous job! And I agree, the Navy blue & gold is a classy touch. :happy096:

20. B Wade

B Wade Well-Known Member

Interesting. I'll check that out. I think I'm going to let it be content for the time being but I always need a project. That could be a cool addition, I'll keep that on the docket. Worked on a computer build last year and put LED lights in it and it was definitely a cool addition.